diy solar

diy solar

4 AWG wire vs 4/0 AWG wire

Dom12

Hello guys,

I'm kind of lost in the wiring of my system. I'm looking to connect 3x 75ah AGM batteries in parallel. I have a 600w pure sine inverter and I don't know which cable I should use. I'm going to get the hammer crimper and copper lugs to do it myself. There is a huge difference ($ per foot) between 4 AWG and 4/0, but I want everything to work perfectly. My battery bank will be right next to the charge controller and inverter.

Thanks for your help!

600 watts / .8 conversion efficiency factor / 12.6 nominal volts = 59.523809524 amps.
You could get by with 6 awg but 4 awg is better. 4/0 awg is massive overkill.

Actually 6 awg is fine.
I assume its a 12volt system.

Thanks for your answer! it is a 12v system. I thought 4/0 was overkilled, but all the tutorials online used that so I was kind of lost.

In that case, would that work 25 ft Pre-Cut Length #4 Welding Cable ?

Thanks for your answer! it is a 12v system. I thought 4/0 was overkilled, but all the tutorials online used that so I was kind of lost.

In that case, would that work 25 ft Pre-Cut Length #4 Welding Cable ?

I would cut it down to what you need.
The shorter the better within reason.
watch some videos on how to make a good crimp.

Yep that is what I'm going to do. I just want to know if #4 welding cable is fine. that 25ft pre-cut is in rebate, so I'll make 1 foot to 2 foot cables out of it. Thanks

Better put a link to what you are asking about to be sure.

4 welding cable might be 4/0 which is very different from 4 awg

Thanks for the link. One last question, What kind of lugs should I use. Does it have to be all copper?

Exactly which inverter did you purchase?
The Samlex 600 watt units use pin terminals.
I would check Bay Marine Supply.
Copper is good.
For marine use tinned copper is preferred.
make sure it fits the terminal bolt.
3/8ths and 5/16ths are typical but there are other sizes.

I would use copper lugs for sure. Get a good crimper and git r done!

Will Prowse has some suggested tools on his page.

I would use copper lugs for sure. Get a good crimper and git r done!

Will Prowse has some suggested tools on his page.
I will sure do. And because I've got such good answer form you guys, I,ll ask an other question. I'm looking to buy a 5 feet heat shrink tube of each color (black and red), should I take the 3/8'' or the 1/2''. The cable will be 4 AWG, which should be about .32'' with insulation.

Hey guys, i finally got my cables from a local battery distributor. I had the chance to get some Carol’s red and black 4 awg wire.

now, I would need some help on how to tie everything. Should I run the 6 awg wires that go to the converter (please refer to picture) through the fuse box terminal and then add a fuse or should it go direct to the battery terminalswith a fuse between? Those two cables power my LED lights and my 12v compressor fridge.

i’m going to do something very similar to will’s basic setup on his website.

Attachments

• 66D5DF78-10B8-412A-9060-B8365E750F9D.jpeg
    66D5DF78-10B8-412A-9060-B8365E750F9D.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 22
If you are following one of Will's blueprints please link it here so that we can advise.
You could also draw a picture using https://www.draw.io/ if you are going off the menu.

Hey guys, i finally got my cables from a local battery distributor. I had the chance to get some Carol’s red and black 4 awg wire.

now, I would need some help on how to tie everything. Should I run the 6 awg wires that go to the converter (please refer to picture) through the fuse box terminal and then add a fuse or should it go direct to the battery terminalswith a fuse between? Those two cables power my LED lights and my 12v compressor fridge.

i’m going to do something very similar to will’s basic setup on his website.

You say converter, did you mean inverter?
You mention 6 awg wire, did you get some of that as well?

Back