diy solar

diy solar

4 Inverters and 2 server racks

usopen65667268

I am currently setting up 4 EG4's 6500ex 48v with 2 server racks (6 EG4 LL's in each rack.) in parallel w/ split phase. My question is how do I set them up? I have already set up a 2 inverter 1 Server rack system. Do I do it the same way? Meaning Do I set up the 1st inverter as 2P1, the second as 2P2 with 180 out of phase, the third as 3P1 and the fourth as 3P2 with 180 out of phase? Inverters 1 & 2 supply one hot leg each to a 2 pole breaker in my main panel (off grid only) Inverters 3 & 4 supply one hot leg each to a second breaker in my main panel?

I am trying to achieve 26,000 Kw in split phase with 60,000Wh of battery storage

Pg 55 of the EG4 6500 manual attached. As you stated above, Inverters 1 & 2 supply power to the 2 pole breaker via L1 lug. Inverters 3 & 4 supply power to the 2 pole breaker via L2 lug. Note: The breaker lugs may not be rated for 2 wires so you may need a power distribution block or better yet something like a Midnight Solar combiner box so each inverter has the proper sized breaker and a "finger" style bus bar is used to tie them together with a single larger wire connecting to the main panel.

There are 2 sets of inverter interconnections per the diagram on pg 55.
1) RED lines are for phase synchronization and are daisy chained through all 4 inverters and appears that the connections are polarized, Left connector to Right connector on the next inverter.
2) GREEN dashed lines are for current sharing and are attached only between the 2 inverters that share the same phase.

Pg 56 of the EG4 6500 manual lists the correct settings for option #28: Inverters 1 & 2 would both be set to 2P1 and have current sharing cables attached between these 2. Inverters 3 & 4 would both be set to 2P2, 180 degrees and have current sharing cables attached between these 2. Do not connect current sharing cable between phases.

note: All of the 3P settings are for 3 phase operation, do not use them.

Attachments

• Pg 55 EG4 6500.pdf
    656.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Pg 56 EG4 6500.pdf
    153.5 KB · Views: 19
Pg 55 of the EG4 6500 manual attached. As you stated above, Inverters 1 & 2 supply power to the 2 pole breaker via L1 lug. Inverters 3 & 4 supply power to the 2 pole breaker via L2 lug. Note: The breaker lugs may not be rated for 2 wires so you may need a power distribution block or better yet something like a Midnight Solar combiner box so each inverter has the proper sized breaker and a "finger" style bus bar is used to tie them together with a single larger wire connecting to the main panel.

There are 2 sets of inverter interconnections per the diagram on pg 55.
1) RED lines are for phase synchronization and are daisy chained through all 4 inverters and appears that the connections are polarized, Left connector to Right connector on the next inverter.
2) GREEN dashed lines are for current sharing and are attached only between the 2 inverters that share the same phase.

Pg 56 of the EG4 6500 manual lists the correct settings for option #28: Inverters 1 & 2 would both be set to 2P1 and have current sharing cables attached between these 2. Inverters 3 & 4 would both be set to 2P2, 180 degrees and have current sharing cables attached between these 2. Do not connect current sharing cable between phases.

note: All of the 3P settings are for 3 phase operation, do not use them.
I first want to say thank you for the response and the help, they are greatly appreciated. I'm still a little confused. I set up my first system pretty much copying Will Prowse's system attached below. Now I am just trying to add 2 more inverters and more batteries which the battery part I have figured out. I get the phase synchronization part you stated above with said diagram, so I am squared away there.

I don't think I need a distribution block or combiner box because I am going to be using (2) 2 pole 60amp breakers in the main panel to connect to. I believe according to what you have stated above I would connect Inverter 1 (2P1) hot leg to one leg of the first 2 pole 60amp breaker and connect Inverter 2 (2P1 also) hot leg to the other leg of the 2 pole 60amp breaker. Then inverter 3 (2P2 180) would connect to the second 2 pole 60amp breaker for one leg and inverter 4 (2P2 180) would connect to the second leg of the same breaker. Does this sound correct?

If that is correct, my only concern or thing I would like to triple clarify is where the manual states DO NOT CONNECT CURRENT SHARING CABLES BETWEEN PHASES. According to Will's diagram below that I have already been using successfully for the past month, both inverters are sharing one hot leg each to the same breaker in the panel and they are both operating on different phases. The first is 2P1 and the second is 2P2 180 in order to achieve split phase 120/240. Am I not understanding this correctly?

Because, if I were to follow the same method as I used before in copying Will's diagram this is how I would have connected things: Use Inverter 1 as 2P1 connected to first breaker then Inverter 2 as 2P2 180 connected to the first breaker also, then Inverter 3 as 2P1 connected to the second breaker then Inverter 4 as 2P2 180 connected to the second breaker also.

I apologize if I ask a lot of questions, but I really want to get this right. Have a lot of money in this set up. Again, I greatly appreciate your responses and look forward to hearing what you have to say and recommend.

Attachments

• WP Diagram.jpg
    WP Diagram.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 32
  • WP Panel Diagram.jpg
    WP Panel Diagram.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 36
I don't think I need a distribution block or combiner box because I am going to be using (2) 2 pole 60amp breakers in the main panel to connect to.
That Works
I would connect Inverter 1 (2P1) hot leg to one leg of the first 2 pole 60amp breaker and connect Inverter 2 (2P1 also) hot leg to the other leg of the 2 pole 60amp breaker. Then inverter 3 (2P2 180) would connect to the second 2 pole 60amp breaker for one leg and inverter 4 (2P2 180) would connect to the second leg of the same breaker. Does this sound correct?
That is incorrect, the configuration as described creates a direct short between L1 & L2. You do not want to end up posting in the section of this forum titled "Up in Smoke".
Lets use the pic of the main panel with cover off that you posted above. The bus bar tabs are arranged so they alternate and it doesn't matter if you install the 2 pole breakers across from each other, one on the top left and one on the top right or stacked on top of each other either on the left or right in the panel. (They should be installed either directly across from each other or stacked WITHOUT a space inbetween) This is were colors come in handy. By convention the bus bar on the left is L1, Black wires & the bus bar on the right is L2, Red wires. So get some Black and Red electrical phase tape and stick the correct color above each bus bar and note which pole of the 2 pole breaker is attached to each color. You could even put a Red piece on the pole of each breaker that is connected to the L2, Red bus bar.
The inverter phases are as Follows: L1, Black is being produced by inverters #1 & #2 while L2, Red is being produced by inverters #3 & #4. So L1, Black from inverter #1 goes to L1, Black on one of the breakers and L1,Black from inverter #2 goes to L1, Black on the OTHER breaker. Same for L2, Red.
If that is correct, my only concern or thing I would like to triple clarify is where the manual states DO NOT CONNECT CURRENT SHARING CABLES BETWEEN PHASES. According to Will's diagram below that I have already been using successfully for the past month, both inverters are sharing one hot leg each to the same breaker in the panel and they are both operating on different phases. The first is 2P1 and the second is 2P2 180 in order to achieve split phase 120/240. Am I not understanding this correctly?
In the pic you posted there are 2 cables, they are both Communication (phase sync) cables not current sharing cables. Refer to the manual Pg 55. In your set up there are going to be 4 Communication cables daisy chained between all 4 inverters. There will also be 4 Current sharing cables, 2 between #1 & #2 (L1, Black) and 2 between #3 & #4 (L2, Red). Do Not use current sharing cables between phases.

That Works

That is incorrect, the configuration as described creates a direct short between L1 & L2. You do not want to end up posting in the section of this forum titled "Up in Smoke".
Lets use the pic of the main panel with cover off that you posted above. The bus bar tabs are arranged so they alternate and it doesn't matter if you install the 2 pole breakers across from each other, one on the top left and one on the top right or stacked on top of each other either on the left or right in the panel. (They should be installed either directly across from each other or stacked WITHOUT a space inbetween) This is were colors come in handy. By convention the bus bar on the left is L1, Black wires & the bus bar on the right is L2, Red wires. So get some Black and Red electrical phase tape and stick the correct color above each bus bar and note which pole of the 2 pole breaker is attached to each color. You could even put a Red piece on the pole of each breaker that is connected to the L2, Red bus bar.
The inverter phases are as Follows: L1, Black is being produced by inverters #1 & #2 while L2, Red is being produced by inverters #3 & #4. So L1, Black from inverter #1 goes to L1, Black on one of the breakers and L1,Black from inverter #2 goes to L1, Black on the OTHER breaker. Same for L2, Red.

In the pic you posted there are 2 cables, they are both Communication (phase sync) cables not current sharing cables. Refer to the manual Pg 55. In your set up there are going to be 4 Communication cables daisy chained between all 4 inverters. There will also be 4 Current sharing cables, 2 between #1 & #2 (L1, Black) and 2 between #3 & #4 (L2, Red). Do Not use current sharing cables between phases.
Ok, so I think I completely understand you now. I was messing up by not thinking of the main panel having a leg on each side of bus bar. So to wrap up here is what I am doing. Correct me again if I make a mistake.

I will be stacking (2) 2 pole breakers right on top of each other, let say the right side of the panel to keep inverters on one side and loads on the left side.

Inverter 1 (2P1) will connect to first breaker with a hot leg, Inverter 2 (2P1) will connect to first breaker with the other hot leg. Inverter 3 (2P2 180 will connect to second breaker with a hot leg and Inverter 4 (2P2 180) will connect to second breaker with the other hot leg.

Phase sync cables will daisy chain throughout all 4 inverters as shown in diagram that you posted from page 55 (Solid Red Line)

Current sharing cables only go to inverters that share the same phase. So, Inverters 1 & 2 will share 2 current sharing cables and Inverters 3 & 4 will share 2 current sharing cables. (Dashed Green Lines)

Attachments

• Pg 55 EG4 6500.pdf
    790.4 KB · Views: 14
Ok, so I think I completely understand you now. I was messing up by not thinking of the main panel having a leg on each side of bus bar. So to wrap up here is what I am doing. Correct me again if I make a mistake.

I will be stacking (2) 2 pole breakers right on top of each other, let say the right side of the panel to keep inverters on one side and loads on the left side.

Inverter 1 (2P1) will connect to first breaker with a hot leg, Inverter 2 (2P1) will connect to first breaker with the other hot leg. Inverter 3 (2P2 180 will connect to second breaker with a hot leg and Inverter 4 (2P2 180) will connect to second breaker with the other hot leg.

Phase sync cables will daisy chain throughout all 4 inverters as shown in diagram that you posted from page 55 (Solid Red Line)

Current sharing cables only go to inverters that share the same phase. So, Inverters 1 & 2 will share 2 current sharing cables and Inverters 3 & 4 will share 2 current sharing cables. (Dashed Green Lines)
Disregard my last post, I typed the same damn thing. Let me correct it. I do understand what you are telling me. Sending the right thing in just a moment

Inverter 1 (2P1) will connect to first breaker with a hot leg, Inverter 2 (2P1 180) will connect to first breaker with the other hot leg. Inverter 3 (2P2) will connect to second breaker with a hot leg and Inverter 4 (2P2 180) will connect to second breaker with the other hot leg.

Current sharing cables only go to inverters that share the same phase. So, Inverters 1 & 3 will share 2 current sharing cables and Inverters 2 & 4 will share 2 current sharing cables. (Dashed Green Lines)

This should be correct

Inverter 1 (2P1) will connect to first breaker with a hot leg, Inverter 2 (2P1 180) will connect to first breaker with the other hot leg. Inverter 3 (2P2) will connect to second breaker with a hot leg and Inverter 4 (2P2 180) will connect to second breaker with the other hot leg.

Current sharing cables only go to inverters that share the same phase. So, Inverters 1 & 3 will share 2 current sharing cables and Inverters 2 & 4 will share 2 current sharing cables. (Dashed Green Lines)

This should be correct
That Works

Ok so I took your advice and used the color schemes to get a better picture of the whole system and how they connect.

Inverter 1 (2P1) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 1 (Leg 1 Black)
Inverter 2 (2P1 180) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 2 (Leg 1 Black)
Inverter 3 (2P2) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 1 (Leg 2 Red)
Inverter 4 (2P2 180) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 2 (Leg 2 Red)

Current sharing cables are being shared by 1&3 and 2&4

Phase sync communication cables daisy chained to all 4 inverters as shown in diagram.

Ok so I took your advice and used the color schemes to get a better picture of the whole system and how they connect.

Inverter 2 (2P1 180) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 2 (Leg 1 Black)
Inverter 3 (2P2) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 1 (Leg 2 Red)

Phase sync communication cables daisy chained to all 4 inverters as shown in diagram.
Sorry Big No again, So I see what the problem is. You are not looking at the wiring diagram on pg 55 and considering how it differs from your present set up. You are thinking about the system you presently have and wish to duplicate it with another set of inverters. The manual does not have an example of this so I thought it would be easier to follow the diagram. My bad, seems I just confused things. So yes there are 2 ways to accomplish the proper set up and it is only a matter of how the inverters are identified, programmed & connected to the breakers and to each other.
1) Per Diagram on pg 55.
Inverter 2 (2P1) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 2 (Leg 1 Black)
Inverter 3 (2P2, 180) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 1 (Leg 2 Red)
Inverter 4 (2P2, 180) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 2 (Leg 2 Red)
Current sharing cables are being shared by 1&2 and 3&4

2) Duplication of present set up with 2 new inverters feeding a new 2 pole breaker.
Inverter 2 (2P2 180) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 1 (Leg 2 Red)
Inverter 3 (2P1) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 2 (Leg 1 Black)

Communication cables may differ from one set up vs the other. Not sure at the moment, have to go out for a while.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sorry Big No again, So I see what the problem is. You are not looking at the wiring diagram on pg 55 and considering how it differs from your present set up. You are thinking about the system you presently have and wish to duplicate it with another set of inverters. The manual does not have an example of this so I thought it would be easier to follow the diagram. My bad, seems I just confused things. So yes there are 2 ways to accomplish the proper set up and it is only a matter of how the inverters are identified, programmed & connected to the breakers and to each other.
1) Per Diagram on pg 55.
Inverter 2 (2P1) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 2 (Leg 1 Black)
Inverter 3 (2P2, 180) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 1 (Leg 2 Red)
Inverter 4 (2P2, 180) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 2 (Leg 2 Red)
Current sharing cables are being shared by 1&2 and 3&4

2) Duplication of present set up with 2 new inverters feeding a new 2 pole breaker.
Inverter 2 (2P2 180) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 1 (Leg 2 Red)
Inverter 3 (2P1) is connecting its hot leg to breaker 2 (Leg 1 Black)

Communication cables may differ from one set up vs the other. Not sure at the moment, have to go out for a while.

Hope this helps.
Yes, that makes total sense and I want to thank you a great deal for hanging in there with me and being patient. I would like to send you an Amazon Card or something for helping out, because I really do appreciate it.

Totally not necessary. Happy to help, this is a hobby so its been fun.
Well again, thank you. It's super nice to come to a forum where people who are a hell of a lot smarter than I will take the time to help a DIY'er out. So your wisdom and patience is a super thing to come across these days. Take care.

Well again, thank you. It's super nice to come to a forum where people who are a hell of a lot smarter than I will take the time to help a DIY'er out. So your wisdom and patience is a super thing to come across these days. Take care.
Keep posting updates on your system I'm currently doing the exact same setup its a great learning experience.

I am currently setting up 4 EG4's 6500ex 48v with 2 server racks (6 EG4 LL's in each rack.) in parallel w/ split phase. My question is how do I set them up? I have already set up a 2 inverter 1 Server rack system. Do I do it the same way? Meaning Do I set up the 1st inverter as 2P1, the second as 2P2 with 180 out of phase, the third as 3P1 and the fourth as 3P2 with 180 out of phase? Inverters 1 & 2 supply one hot leg each to a 2 pole breaker in my main panel (off grid only) Inverters 3 & 4 supply one hot leg each to a second breaker in my main panel?

I am trying to achieve 26,000 Kw in split phase with 60,000Wh of battery storage
I have 6 (EG4 inverters) in split phase with one 30 kwh battery bank. Does anyone have success in setting up system with 6 inverters? I had 3 inverters blew up. SignatureSolar is sending me 3 replacements but I still don’t know why they blew up and their support team doesn’t know either.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Running in split phase with 6 inverters. So 3 inverters on phase 1 (2P1 setting) and 3 on phase 2 (2P2 setting). The current sharing cables are ONLY used between each set of 3 inverters that are on the same phase. There should be NO current sharing cable connection between the inverters that are on different phases.
On the other hand the communication cables are daisy chained through all 6 inverters.

Per the EG4 6500 manual wiring diagrams, each inverter has 2 current sharing connectors and 2 communications connectors on the bottom. They appear to have a specific orientation as follows.
1) Current sharing cables are connected between inverters: Left plug to Left plug, Right plug to Right plug.
2) Communications cables are daisy chained between inverters: Left plug to Right plug on the next inverter all the way around until getting back to the first inverter.

Back