diy solar

diy solar

40 SEER - Are they real?

I've taken some time to read up on these hybrid models, they transition from grid 220v power to solar during the day in slow increments, say early morning sun, then by late morning early afternoon, full solar power dc. end of day transition back to grid slowly (EG4 power mix marketing language). Key word here is slowly, but uninterrupted, as there is no batteries for storage, others offer batteries for 100% off grid apps.
one brand that caught my eye uses very good advertised internal products: Hning, notice misspelling of Schneider Electric contactors. Alfa Laval HX units are very good industrial quality exchangers. All data centers electrical grid operates this way through an inverter rectifier and transitions gen loads back and fourth on off the grid without causing significant inrush to the local grid, ( think 20 megawatts or more).

Hning: http://www.china-solaraircon.com/so.../dc-inverter-solar-heat-pump-central-air.html

YMGI: https://www.bizlander.net/product-p...ductless-mini-split-air-conditioner-heap-pump

Gree is a high quality HP manu good reputation;
Gree: https://gree-na.com/gree-na-home-page/solar-heat-pump/

Interesting.

The hning contains so many contradictions on motor speed / frequency it’s.. well, typical i guess when reading a chinese listing. Numbers don’t suffer translation issues, but i digress..

The YMGI is interesting because when you read the manual it turns out it doesnt use solar at all.. it uses 48v dc! You STILL need an external charge controller and 48v bank.

Unless it is plainly stated somewhere that the compressor circuit operates on 48v nominal, then you’re just stepping voltage up again, which in my mind makes eliminating the stepping up of just powering a mini split from a ‘whole house’ inverter, sort of pointless. If we’re not reducing conversions and have to have external solar controllers anyway, then im not willing to pay extra for something that ‘bypasses’ the need for a 120/240v inverter that im going to end up having anyway! If i still need the solar panels, the 48v battery, the mppt, and and an inverter.. but my AOI can run my whole house and the one in there only runs an ac compressor.. it seems really superfluous to pay extra for another voltage conversion device that essentially does nothing but constrain my battery and ac placements and make my power wiring more lossy..

Maybe im reading it wrong.

I believe these units would be a good fit for someone who would like to have solar, but not super committed. Doesn’t want the hassle of going grid tied, doesn’t want the hassle of a battery system. Maybe he thinks it will eventually have a pay back. Just hook it up and the processor does the rest. Besides most AC requirements are during daylight hours.

When I was running off grid, after I reached absorb I would cool the house to low 60s. By the time the sun went down I could turn the AC off for the night. The wife had to ware a coat though.

My experience with my Pioneer 12kbtu has taught me a couple things.... These mini split systems tend to ramp up for a short time then settle into a lower energy consumption mode in most conditions. I imagine that those 40 seer numbers are somehow fudged by using these low usage times to represent their energy consumption. My pioneer can put out cool, refrigerated air running on around 200 watts. The heat pump can put out warm on running on as little as 300 watts.

I considered getting just one of the super high seer (30+) midea, carrier or Mitsubishi units but i was able to get two of the pioneer units for less money and I couldn't be happier.

The only complaint i have is that i wish there was a way to override the thermostat and have individual control over the compressor. It would be nice to just run it at say 10% for a fixed time. It would make load calculations and estimates easier and more accurate.
After much study, I concluded the same as you. High seer units are only worth it to those with limited KWproduction. A product graph showed that I could save $1200. in five years. But the high seer unit costs that much more.

Back