diy solar

diy solar

400 Watt Solar Package w/ Alternator Charging - Battery Fuse question

PhotonSailor

Hi All,

Am building a 400 Watt Solar Package w/ Alternator Charging using Will's DIY Solar Blueprints. I also have his book, Mobile Solar Power Made Easy.

Have some confusion regarding the use of a 250 amp circuit breaker and a 250 amp fuse.

If you look at the diagrams/images at https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/simplified-400-watt-fewer-wires-and-alternator-charging.html, you will notice that it illustrates the use of a circuit breaker going to the "Solar Battery Positive" but here is no mention of a fuse going to the Solar Battery Positive. Also, if you scroll down the page to the section "Required fuses, fuse blocks, bus bars and Circuit breakers:", it shows a "Battery Bank To Inverter/Fuse Block Main Fuse". Then if you read the book, "Mobile Solar Power Made Easy" there is no mention of a circuit breaker, just a fuse attached to the positive terminal.

So my question is,

if I already have a 250 circuit breaker going to the "Solar Battery Positive" as illustrated on the diagram do I still need a 250 fuse?

I am guessing that I do not but want to make sure.

Thanks for any help!

if I already have a 250 circuit breaker going to the "Solar Battery Positive" as illustrated on the diagram do I still need a 250 fuse?

To the best of my knowledge quality thermal breakers only go up to 200 amps.
This is an example of a quality 200 amp thermal breaker.

To the best of my knowledge quality thermal breakers only go up to 200 amps.
This is an example of a quality 200 amp thermal breaker.

Not sure if we are on the same page.

I already have a 250 Amp Circuit Breaker and a 300 Amp fuse.

You will also see one on Wills page at

https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/simplified-400-watt-fewer-wires-and-alternator-charging.html,

And if you scroll down the page to the section "Required fuses, fuse blocks, bus bars and Circuit breakers:", you will see a
250 amp Fuse and Holder and a lists a 300 amp Fuse and Holder, which I have.

Back