diy solar

diy solar

400 Watt Solar Package W/ Alternator Charging

benpaneccasio

Hello all,
I am looking to use Will's outline for the 400w setup with alternator in my RV. He has to outlines and they are slightly different. The top picture incorporates a FUSE BOX, BUS BAR, and rates the 2 fuses that are rated at 5amps above what they are rated in the bottom picture. Can someone who understands this please help me understand:

1. Which one of these is better?
2. What amp circuit breakers I should use?
3. What size wire needed if im using a 1500w pure sine wave inverter?
4. What amp circuit breaker is needed for the inverter given the answer to the last question?
5. Will alos has this video that explains it in yet again another way. This one seems the most simple.
IS THIS ONE SAFE AND GOOD TO USE?

Than you

400w2.PNG400w1.PNG

Last edited:
2. What amp circuit breakers I should use?
How many amps will YOU be running thru the wires? The breaker protects the wires.
Are your wires sized correctly for volts, amps and length?
3. What size wire needed if im using a 1500w pure sine wave inverter?
wires are sized for volts, amps and length.
4. What amp circuit breaker is needed for the inverter given the answer to the last question?
1500W / 12.8V = 117A
I would use a 150A breaker.

How many amps will YOU be running thru the wires? The breaker protects the wires.
Are your wires sized correctly for volts, amps and length?

wires are sized for volts, amps and length.

1500W / 12.8V = 117A
I would use a 150A breaker.
How many amps will YOU be running thru the wires? The mamixum watts from appliances that I would possibly be using at once is 450w

Are your wires sized correctly for volts, amps and length? Thats what i'm trying to understand. Is this picture a good resource for this questions?inverter wire awg size.PNG

How many amps will YOU be running thru the wires? The mamixum watts from appliances that I would possibly be using at once is 450w

Are your wires sized correctly for volts, amps and length? Thats what i'm trying to understand. Is this picture a good resource for this questions?
450W / 12.8V = 35A
I would think a 50A fuse would be fine unless its an unusually long wire (over 15ft?).

Yes, that chart looks like it is considering the right things. I did not double check the values on it but its probably a very good source of info for what you are doing.

450W / 12.8V = 35A
I would think a 50A fuse would be fine unless its an unusually long wire (over 15ft?).

Yes, that chart looks like it is considering the right things. I did not double check the values on it but its probably a very good source of info for what you are doing.
Thank you very much for your advice and willingness to help ?✌

The manufacturer of the charger or inverter will usually specify the fuse/breaker and cable needed for their products.
for example the values for the DCC50,
DCC50S.jpg
The pictures you are showing are setups for demonstration. Where you are installing a system in a vehicle you need to adopt best practice for mounting units and the cables and interconnections,
If you are using breakers by quality items , not rubbish from ebay and amazon. BlueSea Systems are a quality source for fuses, fuse holders and breakers, also other parts like buss bars.

The protective devices, fuses and breakers, must be installed as close as practical to the power source, the battery. Every cable connected to the battery positive must have a protective fuse or breaker rated for the cable. Dont be too worried about the actual value of fuse or breaker, it must have a value such that it will protect the cable and be suitable for the expected current plus a suitable overhead.
Take the DCC 50 as an example. the output cable is 6awg, this is rated for at about 100 amps maximum so the fuse must be 100 A or less, the expected current from the DCC50 is 50 amps, so the fuse must be greater , say 130% higher, 65 amps. However that may not be a stock value so I would use a 70 amp fuse. Similar calculations are used for breakers
The position of the 70 amp fuse will be as near as practical to the battery positive, because any fault along the cable or in the DCC 50 could cause a current to flow above the safe rating of the cable and start a fire.

If possible do not have more than two cable lugs on a stud, using a positive and negative high current buss bar near the battery is recommended.

There is much to understand as a newcomer to this, so read up, watch videos and ask questions.

this chart will help select the correct cable,
bs wire selection.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
The manufacturer of the charger or inverter will usually specify the fuse/breaker and cable needed for their products.
for example the values for the DCC50,
View attachment 63254
The pictures you are showing are setups for demonstration. Where you are installing a system in a vehicle you need to adopt best practice for mounting units and the cables and interconnections,
If you are using breakers by quality items , not rubbish from ebay and amazon. BlueSea Systems are a quality source for fuses, fuse holders and breakers, also other parts like buss bars.

The protective devices, fuses and breakers, must be installed as close as practical to the power source, the battery. Every cable connected to the battery positive must have a protective fuse or breaker rated for the cable. Dont be too worried about the actual value of fuse or breaker, it must have a value such that it will protect the cable and be suitable for the expected current plus a suitable overhead.
Take the DCC 50 as an example. the output cable is 6awg, this is rated for at about 100 amps maximum so the fuse must be 100 A or less, the expected current from the DCC50 is 50 amps, so the fuse must be greater , say 130% higher, 65 amps. However that may not be a stock value so I would use a 70 amp fuse. Similar calculations are used for breakers
The position of the 70 amp fuse will be as near as practical to the battery positive, because any fault along the cable or in the DCC 50 could cause a current to flow above the safe rating of the cable and start a fire.

If possible do not have more than two cable lugs on a stud, using a positive and negative high current buss bar near the battery is recommended.

There is much to understand as a newcomer to this, so read up, watch videos and ask questions.

this chart will help select the correct cable,
View attachment 63261

Mike
Amazing information. Thank you. I have been researching a lot and watching many videos but sometimes all it takes is somone saying it in a way that makes sense to my mind. Thank you.

So glad I found this thread!
I have the DCC30 so, according to the manual, I would need a 50A for the input and 40A for the output, correct?
Renogy DCC30 or 50 Manual_Page_15.jpg

Back