diy solar

diy solar

400a daly bms not turning on

Applied for a full refund. Can not get it to activate or show any signs of life. You would think in 2021 there would be decent bms on the market by now.
FWIW I’ve had other BMS (including the Chargery which let me down and cooked come cells for me) which sucked. No BT and no actual protection. At least this one turns on with current applied (for me.)
I bought mine from the Daly store on alibaba direct shipped 500a smart version for $260 including shipping.
Initially the sales person said $360, but then invoiced me for $260 and I’m happy to have it at that price. But mine is from Daly, not from a reseller.
Strangely enough, mine came in distressed/used packaging so I thought it must be from a reseller, but I suspect they just aren’t supposed to retail sale direct so they didn’t have a OEM box.

Always interesting doing business w China!

Did you try this one a few times just to verify functionality?
Also reading this it looks like you didn’t use your light board, and you didn’t jump it.
Did you have a load or power supply attached?
No load or charge and light board in previous attempts did nothing. I have not repeated this process again as after 6 odd hours finally getting it to turn on i went to bed as it was 1am lol. But i think this is how i ended up getting it to work the last couple times. I just fluked it. The instruction mess mentioned a blended “check with ohms buzzer garblyness” but shows ohms check. so im thinking not ohms reading but diode mode buzzer applies voltagenand activates. Instructions say should beep. Some meters have this diode mode and continuity mode separate but mines in the one setting. I think ohms check it just to make sure unit is not faulty and does nothing to activate it.

No load or charge and light board in previous attempts did nothing. I have not repeated this process again as after 6 odd hours finally getting it to turn on i went to bed as it was 1am lol. But i think this is how i ended up getting it to work the last couple times. I just fluked it. The instruction mess mentioned a blended “check with ohms buzzer garblyness” but shows ohms check. so im thinking not ohms reading but diode mode buzzer applies voltagenand activates. Instructions say should beep. Some meters have this diode mode and continuity mode separate but mines in the one setting. I think ohms check it just to make sure unit is not faulty and does nothing to activate it.
I seem to have the same problem as you had. I have a 8s 24V 250A Daly (R32W-GA29). When I measure my pack-voltage (without BMS) I get 26,7V. When I connect B- to battery most negative an measure to P- I get 26,2V. I tried your method with the diode setting on the multi meter but I can’t get it to work. This is how I do it.
1. Connect all balance leads to the battery.
2. Make sure I get the correct reading on all leads when measuring each pin on the connector.
3. Plug the balance lead cable into the back of BMS.
4. Put the positive multimeter pin on B- and negative multimeter pin on P-
5. Connect B-
But the BMS gives no sign of life.
I have made sure that the Ntc temp sense is in.
When I measure the resistance between P-and B- I get the value as the picture. I am not sure if it is good or bad.

Attachments

• EF6AAB4C-0C05-4A0D-8735-BEE1EAEF678E.jpeg
    EF6AAB4C-0C05-4A0D-8735-BEE1EAEF678E.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 12
I seem to have the same problem as you had. I have a 8s 24V 250A Daly (R32W-GA29). When I measure my pack-voltage (without BMS) I get 26,7V. When I connect B- to battery most negative an measure to P- I get 26,2V. I tried your method with the diode setting on the multi meter but I can’t get it to work. This is how I do it.
2. Make sure I get the correct reading on all leads when measuring each pin on the connector.
5. Connect B-
When I measure the resistance between P-and B- I get the value as the picture. I am not sure if it is good or bad.
5. Connect B-
dont use resistance mode. Forget that it didn’t work for me. Let it sit unplugged for a bit. Connect balance lead. Use diode mode with positive lead on b- and negative lead on p- then it should activate and then i connected b- to battery. My diode mode also has a beep/buzzer so when i connect the leads after a second it sounds which means continuity and its active. Balance lead must have all leads connected to battery including the negative so the bms has power from the lead to activate.

Does the BMS make any sound when turning on?
My diode mode and beep mode is on different settings so I don’t think it will make a sound. But I have the light board and that should light up right?

Does the BMS make any sound when turning on?
My diode mode and beep mode is on different settings so I don’t think it will make a sound. But I have the light board and that should light up right?
yes my light board when i ended up getting one does light up when it becomes active.
use diode mode. it applies a little voltage across the leads. shorting them did not work for me.

yes my light board when i ended up getting one does light up when it becomes active.
use diode mode. it applies a little voltage across the leads. shorting them did not work for me.
I have tried this now a number of times. Both beep-mode and diode mode. What type of battery do you have in your multimeter? Can it be so that mine is to weak?

I have tried this now a number of times. Both beep-mode and diode mode. What type of battery do you have in your multimeter? Can it be so that mine is to weak?
mine is 9v meter. i have heard meters that use aa or aaa might not work.

Ok, mine is a 2*1,5V.
Do you think it wold work with a plain 9V battery?
i have heard it can work. but not 100% sure. i guess try it. you could also try disconnect everything. then connect b- lead then connect balance lead then try diode mode or 9v battery between b- and p-. also make sure temp sensor is plugged in as i read it will not activate if temp sensor is not attached.

i have heard it can work. but not 100% sure. i guess try it. you could also try disconnect everything. then connect b- lead then connect balance lead then try diode mode or 9v battery between b- and p-. also make sure temp sensor is plugged in as i read it will not activate if temp sensor is not attached.
9V battery did not work.
Connecting B- to batter-minus and then balance leads and then diode mode or 9V battery did not work either.

I tried to apply charge with charger but did not work. so i used a power supply with 27v to try charge activate but did not work. if i test leads with meter the bms p- shows voltage 28.1v but when i connect charger it shows 1v so only very low voltage no current so when charger is attached it drops.
You would need to set the power supply to a higher voltage than the pack, otherwise it won't "charge".
Essentially setting the power supply lower means you are trying a load rather than a charge, just FYI.

You would need to set the power supply to a higher voltage than the pack, otherwise it won't "charge".
Essentially setting the power supply lower means you are trying a load rather than a charge, just FYI.
I also tried a hobby charger. but as the mosfet's are off it would not charge. i even tried jumping across the leads to get it to start charging and then disconnect hoping it would have enough voltage to then acivate and continue through the p- lead but no and the charger just turned off.

New issues......... So it seems randomly the bms is shutting off as in un activating? Two days ago my battery was sitting on the bench not connected to anything and fully charged and active. i come back to it today and its off with no bluetooth, the light board off, nothing. voltage on inlet and outlet matched but no activity. what is anoying is when the bms decides to shut off you cant check why because bluetooth also does not function. i disconnected bluetooth and plugged in uart and same deal would not connect to pc. i re connected bluetooth and measured resistance across b and p leads then continuity mode and light board turned on followed by bluetooth and bms is now active. This is so frustrating. the bms seems to decide to randomly turn off and sometimes wont re activate at all for a day of messing around or a few hours. its so inconsistant i cant figure out whats wrong with it or how to acivate it or keep it active.

New issues......... So it seems randomly the bms is shutting off as in un activating? Two days ago my battery was sitting on the bench not connected to anything and fully charged and active. i come back to it today and its off with no bluetooth, the light board off, nothing. voltage on inlet and outlet matched but no activity. what is anoying is when the bms decides to shut off you cant check why because bluetooth also does not function. i disconnected bluetooth and plugged in uart and same deal would not connect to pc. i re connected bluetooth and measured resistance across b and p leads then continuity mode and light board turned on followed by bluetooth and bms is now active. This is so frustrating. the bms seems to decide to randomly turn off and sometimes wont re activate at all for a day of messing around or a few hours. its so inconsistant i cant figure out whats wrong with it or how to acivate it or keep it active.
1. There is a setting to disable the timeout value, don't remember what it is.
2. The default is (I think) one hour. If no charge or discharge it will go to sleep.
3. Daly says that charging or discharging should wake it up as well.

It has never been a problem for me, and I have a switch connected to wake it up if necessary, thus I don't remember some things (like what setting disables sleep).

Try this.

1. There is a setting to disable the timeout value, don't remember what it is.
2. The default is (I think) one hour. If no charge or discharge it will go to sleep.
3. Daly says that charging or discharging should wake it up as well.

It has never been a problem for me, and I have a switch connected to wake it up if necessary, thus I don't remember some things (like what setting disables sleep).

Try this.
I have timer set to 15300s which i read somewhere is infinate. Also the light board button has never worked to turn the unit on. i only use it to see if the bms is active since the lights come on when it is. It's only usefull since bluetooth and uart wont work when its not active.

This is so frustrating. the bms seems to decide to randomly turn off and sometimes wont re activate at all for a day of messing around or a few hours. its so inconsistant i cant figure out whats wrong with it or how to acivate it or keep it active.
Sadly, this seems to be the recurring theme with saving a few bucks (up front) on a lower priced BMS.

How do all the batteries with internal BMSs keep running, seemingly more reliably than these Daly units?

I have timer set to 15300s which i read somewhere is infinate. Also the light board button has never worked to turn the unit on. i only use it to see if the bms is active since the lights come on when it is. It's only usefull since bluetooth and uart wont work when its not active.
Did you try the two different settings in the post I linked for you to read?

"In the Daly 4S BMS, the sleeptime 15300 should permanently prevent the BMS from falling asleep. In the 16S DALY BMS the sleeptime must be set to 65535 to permanently prevent it from sleeping."

Really, I looked it up and gave the link.

I don't know which BMS you have, but the 15300 is for the 4s 12v model only. 65535 for all others.

Did you try the two different settings in the post I linked for you to read?

"In the Daly 4S BMS, the sleeptime 15300 should permanently prevent the BMS from falling asleep. In the 16S DALY BMS the sleeptime must be set to 65535 to permanently prevent it from sleeping."

Really, I looked it up and gave the link.

I don't know which BMS you have, but the 15300 is for the 4s 12v model only. 65535 for all others.
I payed $600Au for the 8s 400a bms so Not saving money at all, there are sadly no other options in that current range that i know of that are higher quality if there were id happily pay $1000 for something rock solid reliable. Daly has said light board should activate bms if in sleep mode but it does not. They also said to set timer to 65535 to disable sleep mode. i will try that. I did try 65535 once in the past and it shutdown the bms and took me days to re activate so thats why i went to the 15300 option but this time it seems to have saved the setting and remained active for now.

Back