diy solar

diy solar

400sq ft cabin with 110 wiring. Novice and in need of help.

It would be a simple solution for anyone concerned to use a piece of 5/8 Sheetrock between the component and your plywood. ?
Ace hardware sells smaller sections of wallboard cheap or
You can find free scrap pieces big enough around most any drywalling job site.

But drywall is ugly ?

In doing more research I came across this https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/lv-mr/. Would this be a good all in one for my needs. And would an electrician be able to hard wire from the AC in to my breaker panel that is set up with Romex 110V AC switches and plugs? Also would one 24V Lithium Battery by battle born be suitable for my needs listed in the original post? Still thinking of going with 400w solar panel at 24v. Thanks guys and once again sorry for the newbie questions.

And now to the dumb question.... Off of my inverter do I just run a male to male extension cord to the first outlet of the loop to power all outlets? Is this ideal and or dangerous? I know these are dumb asks, but I would really appreciate your input. Thanks so much.

This is why no question is dumb. I was going to do the same thing, but after I watched 1 of about a million Youtube videos on different people's set-ups, I came across a guy that had the male-to-male and he gave the warning about it.

Thus, the attached photo is what I just installed on the outside of our new cabin. If I want to run the cabin on generator power, I make the switch inside the cabin and plug the extension cord into this. Under the flap is a male inlet. I can send you a link to it if you want. I don't want to post a link here.115782599_327970191707102_6674735400811451702_n.jpg

This is why no question is dumb. I was going to do the same thing, but after I watched 1 of about a million Youtube videos on different people's set-ups, I came across a guy that had the male-to-male and he gave the warning about it.

Thus, the attached photo is what I just installed on the outside of our new cabin. If I want to run the cabin on generator power, I make the switch inside the cabin and plug the extension cord into this. Under the flap is a male inlet. I can send you a link to it if you want. I don't want to post a link here.View attachment 18721
That is awesome! And looks great. So you can run your generator throughout the cabin and than if you want to use the inverter/solar system you plug your extension cord from the inverter outside into the plug? If thats the way it works, that would be clean and suit all my needs. Thanks for the info, it's amazing after watching youtube how much you learn and how you get more confused haha. The link would be great.

That is awesome! And looks great. So you can run your generator throughout the cabin and than if you want to use the inverter/solar system you plug your extension cord from the inverter outside into the plug? If thats the way it works, that would be clean and suit all my needs. Thanks for the info, it's amazing after watching youtube how much you learn and how you get more confused haha. The link would be great.

Actually, I have the cabin hard wired like a standard house with Romex (12ga).
I wired 2 circuits.
I have a hard wired extension cord for each circuit coming out of the wall which are anchored into boxes on the wall.
The plug I showed you a photo of is wired to an outlet on the inside of the cabin.

If I want to use the generator, I plug the extension cords into that outlet.
If I want to use my battery bank, I plug the extension cords into the inverter.
I can also do both if I want.
1 Circuit is only the essentials like lights, outlets for charging phones etc... Very low draw.
Circuit #2 is for ceiling fans, kitchen outlets, coffee maker, TV etc...

If I know I'm going to be using a lot of stuff on circuit 2, I can run the generator for that stuff while using my battery bank to run lights...etc

Everything is still getting roughed in. When it's done, I'll send more pics.

I never liked mounting on wood if I could avoid it.

Instead on my system, i put 1/2 plywood on the studs then put 5/8 firerated sheet rock over that to have some sorta fire block. Just incase a wire got hot or loose connection or lug over the years, then there was atleast something inbetween the wood and component. Also everything is guttered or piped in my setup.

Sheetrock is cheap and I didnt see a reason to not put it up between the wall and components.

Hey guys, new to tiny home living and very new to solar power. I just built a 400 sq ft barn on 9 acres here in New Mexico. While im supper excited to get to enjoy this property I have some novice questions. I will only be using this cabin on the weekends and up to 3 days at a time. My problem right now is I want to wire the cabin for 110AC for future use of grid power, but being that it may take a few years to come across that kind of money I need to invest in solar to power this place in the mean time. My needs are very little... I think. I want to run 3-4 LED shop lights overhead maybe a garage door opener, and have a couple of outlets for a TV, coffe pot, and use of a saw and or small air compressor. What size system would you recommend and can anyone give me a dumbed down schematic? And now to the dumb question.... Off of my inverter do I just run a male to male extension cord to the first outlet of the loop to power all outlets? Is this ideal and or dangerous? I know these are dumb asks, but I would really appreciate your input. Thanks so much.

I am doing just the same thing. How is your project going. I have 2 Valence lithium batteries and just ordered the all in one 1000 watt inverter / controller. I like the tidiness of it. I am also wiring for grid but don't expect to get that connected. I am going to put in the panel and a manual transfer to solar. i also have a generator to charge system when necessary. How many circuits did you end up with. My cabin is also about 400 square feet. I am in Montana so have propane fireplace for heat and a propane cooktop.

Hello everyone.... Awesome info on this thread! Many thanks to the pros here who have given some advise. I have a question related to this thread... I am very new at Solar power. I have a basic understanding of electricity, have watched LOTS of videos and looking for my first system. Here is situation. I have a 950 sq ft cabin 100% off the grid. Currently power the cabin with Honda 7000i generator. I have a main panel in the cabin with a total of 6 breakers (well pump 1/2hp 10gpm - dual 20amp breaker, loft lights - 15 amp breaker, kitchen lights /outlets - 20amp breaker, hot water heater (12 gallon 110v) - 15amp breaker). There is one cable that comes out of my panel in the cabin with a NEMA L14-30p 30amp 125/250v 4 prong plug that connects to my generator and this powers the entire cabin effortlessly.... My biggest draw is the well pump which will surge up to about 1900v when it kicks on. I would love to use solar to power the entire cabin but can use the generator to run well pump if I had to. We have other things in the cabin like microwave, Kureg & toaster that also have a pretty good but brief draw. I understand with a DIY (cost efficient) system I would need to be selective on what appliances I use together and when. I mainly plan to run lights, TV, power outlets and charge phones. Having said all the above..... I would like to be able to hook the solar system to my panel and when necessary switch over to my generator. I have looked at some transfer switches that were posted in this thread but it seems as if this is to switch from grid to generator. Can I switch between solar and generator and would I need to do anything inside the panel? I think I would like to go with a 24v system and I have been looking at the PIP LV2424 MSD (AIO) and the 24V LiFePO4 Powerwall battery bank. Does anyone have experience with this and would it provide enough power to supply my well pump and water heater? I've attached a couple pix to give you a visual of what I have now. Any input, thoughts or recommendations would be very much appreciated. Sorry for the dissertation!

Attachments

• thumbnail_image0.jpg
    thumbnail_image0.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail_image1.jpg
    thumbnail_image1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 9

Thus, the attached photo is what I just installed on the outside of our new cabin. If I want to run the cabin on generator power, I make the switch inside the cabin and plug the extension cord into this. Under the flap is a male inlet. I can send you a link to it if you want. I don't want to post a link here.View attachment 18721
Do you use the transfer switch to switch from generator to solar? if so, could you send me link and would love to see your set up. Please see my post. Many thanks!

Hello everyone.... Awesome info on this thread! Many thanks to the pros here who have given some advise. I have a question related to this thread... I am very new at Solar power. I have a basic understanding of electricity, have watched LOTS of videos and looking for my first system. Here is situation. I have a 950 sq ft cabin 100% off the grid. Currently power the cabin with Honda 7000i generator. I have a main panel in the cabin with a total of 6 breakers (well pump 1/2hp 10gpm - dual 20amp breaker, loft lights - 15 amp breaker, kitchen lights /outlets - 20amp breaker, hot water heater (12 gallon 110v) - 15amp breaker). There is one cable that comes out of my panel in the cabin with a NEMA L14-30p 30amp 125/250v 4 prong plug that connects to my generator and this powers the entire cabin effortlessly.... My biggest draw is the well pump which will surge up to about 1900v when it kicks on. I would love to use solar to power the entire cabin but can use the generator to run well pump if I had to. We have other things in the cabin like microwave, Kureg & toaster that also have a pretty good but brief draw. I understand with a DIY (cost efficient) system I would need to be selective on what appliances I use together and when. I mainly plan to run lights, TV, power outlets and charge phones. Having said all the above..... I would like to be able to hook the solar system to my panel and when necessary switch over to my generator. I have looked at some transfer switches that were posted in this thread but it seems as if this is to switch from grid to generator. Can I switch between solar and generator and would I need to do anything inside the panel? I think I would like to go with a 24v system and I have been looking at the PIP LV2424 MSD (AIO) and the 24V LiFePO4 Powerwall battery bank. Does anyone have experience with this and would it provide enough power to supply my well pump and water heater? I've attached a couple pix to give you a visual of what I have now. Any input, thoughts or recommendations would be very much appreciated. Sorry for the dissertation
You would need dual lv2424 or run an lv5048 like i do because i see your pump is 240v or dual hot legs.

Hey guys, new to tiny home living and very new to solar power. I just built a 400 sq ft barn on 9 acres here in New Mexico. While im supper excited to get to enjoy this property I have some novice questions. I will only be using this cabin on the weekends and up to 3 days at a time. My problem right now is I want to wire the cabin for 110AC for future use of grid power, but being that it may take a few years to come across that kind of money I need to invest in solar to power this place in the mean time. My needs are very little... I think. I want to run 3-4 LED shop lights overhead maybe a garage door opener, and have a couple of outlets for a TV, coffe pot, and use of a saw and or small air compressor. What size system would you recommend and can anyone give me a dumbed down schematic? And now to the dumb question.... Off of my inverter do I just run a male to male extension cord to the first outlet of the loop to power all outlets? Is this ideal and or dangerous? I know these are dumb asks, but I would really appreciate your input. Thanks so much.
I know you posted this a while back.
Not sure how far you've gotten on wiring, but check out my set-up and it might give you a few ideas.

Click the "About My System" below

I have a 950 sq ft cabin 100% off the grid. Currently power the cabin with Honda 7000i generator. I have a main panel in the cabin with a total of 6 breakers (well pump 1/2hp 10gpm - dual 20amp breaker, loft lights - 15 amp breaker, kitchen lights /outlets - 20amp breaker, hot water heater (12 gallon 110v) - 15amp breaker).
A 1/2hp pump is not too bad, just half the size of mine, which runs on 100% solar now. Very doable with a number of inverters, though I would NOT recommend a transformerless model. Outback, Magnum, and Schneider all make split-phase 120V/240V sine wave inverters that would be perfect for your pump.
There is one cable that comes out of my panel in the cabin with a NEMA L14-30p 30amp 125/250v 4 prong plug that connects to my generator and this powers the entire cabin effortlessly.... My biggest draw is the well pump which will surge up to about 1900v when it kicks on. I would love to use solar to power the entire cabin but can use the generator to run well pump if I had to.
We can use the wellpump as the model for the rest of the cabin. That is, design the system to run the wellpump, and it will run everything else.

Here is a table of pumps from another site. Looking at the table, you'll need to put out at least 6.0A at 240VAC. That works out to be about 1440W. My usual plan is to double the amount of panels for the load. So, if your load is about 1440W, have 2880W of panels. You can get 12 250W grid-tie panels for about 660$ in my area. Wire those into a 3S4P configuration. If you put them on rotating ground mounts like I did, you might get by with just 8 panels. Wire those in a 2S4P configuration.
1609298315087.png
We have other things in the cabin like microwave, Kureg & toaster that also have a pretty good but brief draw. I understand with a DIY (cost efficient) system I would need to be selective on what appliances I use together and when. I mainly plan to run lights, TV, power outlets and charge phones. Having said all the above..... I would like to be able to hook the solar system to my panel and when necessary switch over to my generator.
With a good inverter, like Schneider, you can couple your generator directly to the inverter.
You can either use the generator to charge the batteries, or use it to power the well pump when the sun isn't shining. But, a system large enough to power the pump will easily power everything else, so things like standard refrigerators, TVs, and air conditioners are all doable.
. Can I switch between solar and generator and would I need to do anything inside the panel? I think I would like to go with a 24v system and I have been looking at the PIP LV2424 MSD (AIO) and the 24V LiFePO4 Powerwall battery bank. Does anyone have experience with this and would it provide enough power to supply my well pump and water heater? I've attached a couple pix to give you a visual of what I have now. Any input, thoughts or recommendations would be very much appreciated. Sorry for the dissertation!
For sure the well pump can run solely off of solar, but solar electric hot water is a real waste of resources. I think it is far more cost effective to have gas hot water, and I have an on-demand propane hot water heat at my own cabin. I'm going to recommend this battery. This is what I myself will be buying shortly to upgrade my own system.

I think it is far more cost effective to have gas hot water, and I have an on-demand propane hot water heat at my own cabin. I'm going to recommend this battery. This is what I myself will be buying shortly to upgrade my own system.
I second the motion on the water heater.
We have the Camplux 3.2 gpm model. Runs on a 20 lb. LP tank.
We have hot water within about 5 seconds of opening the faucet.
Uses D batteries for the ignitor.

Back