diy solar

diy solar

400w solar on a 17ft Casita

1. No, I never tested that. I've gotten pretty good results out of my panels in parallel. Last May I took a trip from Charlotte, NC to Wyoming and back. During that trip we only had hookups for 2 of our 19 nights. We spent several nights at Walmart, rest areas and tent sites. Our 400w solar kept our batteries topped off every day. Not a single day passed without us getting to 100%. We averaged 50Ah a day for usage with one day using close to 120Ah because I ran our A/C for a while.

2. It sounds like that might could work but i'm not even sure it's needed. Replacing my converter with the wildkat to be lithium compatible has to be the biggest money waste I’ve done on my trailer so far. I feel this way because:

A. Since adding the rooftop solar, when storing my Casita in my driveway, I now don’t plug it in because the solar keeps the batteries charged.
B. The wfco converter I had would have charged my batteries to 80% which would have been fine for us since the solar can bring it to 100%.
C. I have since installed an inverter and to simplify the setup, I bought an inverter with a built in transfer switch and charger. The inverter can charge many different battery types and can actually charge up to 80A which is pretty fast. So now I have a converter that I upgraded which I have turned off and is literally doing nothing for me.

If you are interested in hearing more about my inverter install, I have a video located here:
Thank you for the response, most helpful!

Back