diy solar

diy solar

42 kw Solar in place, looking for battery backup, system sized equal to light commercial

This is a Ranch that was built with guest homes, shops, barn, swimming pool, water system domestic and irrigation

This system would be setup supplying 2 meters. One provides service to 3 homes, and a wine building/food prep building. Large loads on this meter include a swimming pool pump, UV light, 3 heat pumps with heat strips, 1 mini split. A 1 water pump, 4 20 gallon hot water tanks, 3 stock tank heaters, 4 electric ranges, 2 electric ovens, 2 dishwashers, 1 washing machine, 1 dryer. 5 refrigerators, 4 freezers.

Second system has a large barn, with wood shop, an apartment with a heat pump with heat strips, 1 20 gallon hot water tank, barn fan ventilation system. 5 stock heaters, 5 bay shop with welders, metal shop, 2 horse air compressor, large submerged irrigation pump, several transformers for irrigation system, 4 large horse arena lights, green house with led lights and heat/air conditioning unit.

I am sure I have forgotten stuff but this is the general idea.

I

This system would be setup supplying 2 meters. One provides service to 3 homes, and a wine building/food prep building. Large loads on this meter include a swimming pool pump, UV light, 3 heat pumps with heat strips, 1 mini split. A 1 water pump, 4 20 gallon hot water tanks, 3 stock tank heaters, 4 electric ranges, 2 electric ovens, 2 dishwashers, 1 washing machine, 1 dryer. 5 refrigerators, 4 freezers.

Second system has a large barn, with wood shop, an apartment with a heat pump with heat strips, 1 20 gallon hot water tank, barn fan ventilation system. 5 stock heaters, 5 bay shop with welders, metal shop, 2 horse air compressor, large submerged irrigation pump, several transformers for irrigation system, 4 large horse arena lights, green house with led lights and heat/air conditioning unit.

I

It is all a matter of $$$$.
If you have enough budget you could do a whole property backup but better have deep _deep_ pockets.

Alternative:
This sounds like a good case for advanced load shedding.
In case of power outage, you would always keep essentials running day or night: freezer/fridges/essential lights
During the day with 48kW PV support there would be no issue supporting that on a small battery.
The battery would be sized for getting through the night.

If there is enough solar to support more loads you could setup multiple groups :
1) nearly essential
2) less essential
3) not essential at all (eg: welders in shop)
And depending on the amount of available PV power and/or battery capacity things would be shut down depending on priority.

I just noticed that SolArk is coming out with a 30k. A pair of those and ~150kWH of battery per meter is probably a good starting point. You could be in the realm of needing an EE to design the switch gear and layout a distribution system that can do that. Sol-Ark themselves might do it?? Couldn't hurt to ask them.

I can foresee some major modifications to the layout of the current electrical service to make a centralized system work. The being said AC Coupling with Sunny Islands centrally located and Sunny Boys and PV scattered around the property at various structures might be the more practical system. That may not meet aesthetic goals though.

I've helped a guy that does systems of this scale a few times with some minor aspects of the design and install. It's no small feat to pull off. Probably well beyond what most of the keyboard warriors here (including me) could be trusted to pull off.

$1500 in generator fuel every other year just might be the most attractive option.

Edit: to mention Sunny Island system.

Last edited:
Super impressive what your system can produce in one month. Your avg usage for some months were close to double and we barely get by on our banks during the winter months.

Back