diy solar

diy solar

48 v dual phase inverter RV setup

MadPole

Setting up new Sungoldpower 48v Dual Phase Inverter in RV. Do not want to connect directly in the 5th Wheel system, but instead want to connect a 50 amp outlet to the inverter so I can manually plug in the 50 amp shoreline. Basically replacing my current generator with the inverter powered by panels and battery (separate from the internal batteries in the RV). Question, do I need to ground the inverter and/or the output service to the 50 amp outlet? If so, how should I do this? Appreciate any input.

RV’s factory equipped with a Onan type generator do not tie neutral to ground when plugged into “shore power” as the neutral to ground bond is properly done in the external source of electricity. When switching to generator power the neutral ground bond is done internally in the Onan generator itself, not in the motorhome control panel. This is true in both the Emerald 3kw 120 volt generators as well as the NH-3 6.6 kw. 120/240 volt generators that are common in dual air equipped motorhomes.

So when running on the inverter alone there does need to be a neutral ground bond in the inverter itself. Especially as you intend to plug the shore power plug into the inverter...

So I should setup a breaker between the inverter and 50 amp outlet and create the neutral ground bond there?

Back