diy solar

diy solar

48 volt All In One Advice

NomadRogue

Planning on installing a 6 370 watt solar panels on my enclosed cargo trailer. Will be using the 48 volt MPPSolar All In One with 2 24 volt batteries. My question to anyone that can help is do I need more batteries for the solar array for power storage or is this sufficient? I watched Will's videos but the electric cord threw me (what is it for). I assumed I could run my 12 volt accessories off the dc converter. Is the electric cord for shore power or a generator hook up?

You haven't said what the Ah capacity of the batteries are. Only you can know if you have enough battery. That answer will depend on your loads.

If there is an 120Vac cord, it's probably for shore power.

Planning on installing a 6 370 watt solar panels on my enclosed cargo trailer. Will be using the 48 volt MPPSolar All In One with 2 24 volt batteries. My question to anyone that can help is do I need more batteries for the solar array for power storage or is this sufficient? I watched Will's videos but the electric cord threw me (what is it for). I assumed I could run my 12 volt accessories off the dc converter. Is the electric cord for shore power or a generator hook up?
I would go with the LV2424 version. It's less expensive, and you really don't need 48v for this application.

The MPPsolar units have four input/outputs usually:

1. AC120 in (shore power or Generator)
2. AC120 out (power to your AC stuff)
3. PV in from the panels
4. Battery connection (charging from PV and power to inverter)

You can use the AC120 out and convert back to 12v DC, or just hook a 24v DC to 12v DC converter to the batteries as long as it has some kind of low voltage shut off.

You haven't said what the Ah capacity of the batteries are. Only you can know if you have enough battery. That answer will depend on your loads.

If there is an 120Vac cord, it's probably for shore power.
I will be using Battle Born Batteries - 2 50ah 24v lifepo4 deep cycle batteries

I would go with the LV2424 version. It's less expensive, and you really don't need 48v for this application.

The MPPsolar units have four input/outputs usually:

1. AC120 in (shore power or Generator)
2. AC120 out (power to your AC stuff)
3. PV in from the panels
4. Battery connection (charging from PV and power to inverter)

You can use the AC120 out and convert back to 12v DC, or just hook a 24v DC to 12v DC converter to the batteries as long as it has some kind of low voltage shut off.
Thank you for the information. Could I use more batteries for storage?

I will be using Battle Born Batteries - 2 50ah 24v lifepo4 deep cycle batteries

Your panels will charge those batteries in no time at all, assuming you have sufficient sun exposure. In ideal conditions, less than one hour! You have ~46 amps of charging potential from those panels. If your MPPT can process that many amps, you could certainly add more batteries. The question is, do you need more batteries? That answer depends on your loads.

Your panels will charge those batteries in no time at all, assuming you have sufficient sun exposure. In ideal conditions, less than one hour! You have ~46 amps of charging potential from those panels. If your MPPT can process that many amps, you could certainly add more batteries. The question is, do you need more batteries? That answer depends on your loads.
I would think that the 48 volt mppt all in one that Will suggested should be able to handle it....not sure though?

I would think that the 48 volt mppt all in one that Will suggested should be able to handle it....not sure though?

Most likely, but until I see the specs, it's an unknown. Please provide a link or the specs for that unit.

I also think I'd be able to charge two more batteries for emergency power under good conditions????

Easily, assuming that the MPPT is up to the task.

Most likely, but until I see the specs, it's an unknown. Please provide a link or the specs for that unit.

Easily, assuming that the MPPT is up to the task.
This is all I know about it -

LV6548 6.5KW – 120v Solar inverter 8kW -2 x 4kW 250V MPPT BMS UL1741 compliant – built in Wifi​

LV6548 6.5KW – 120v Solar inverter 8kW -2 x 4kW 250V MPPT BMS UL1741 compliant – built in Wifi​

1. 6.5kw / 48V pure sine wave output 120V AC
  2. 120A Mppt at max 250Voc – 2 x (60A – 4kW MPPT Charge Controllers)
  3. 120A Utility Charger (120A at 48V = 5.7kW or 48A at 120V)
  4. Built in Genset dry contact start/stop relay
  5. Lithium / LiFePO4 , AGm, Flooded, Silica Salt battery compatible, and more (custom parameters can be set according to any battery between 40 and 62V
  6. Can be timed to only charge the battery via Utility power during certain hours (load shifting to charge on off peak rates, and using the battery during peak tariffs) Very popular for our California Customers
  7. High PV Input 250V (Voc) Open circuit)
  8. Batteryless operation (singe unit mode only) (When using two or more, battery IS REQUIRED, due to the erratic nature of solar energy)
  9. parallelable up to 6 units
  10. built in Wifi Transmitter
  11. Built in parallel kits
  12. Dual PV inputs
  13. BMS Support (Pylontech, Weco, Soltaro) – Separate BMS cable required
  14. Timer for output and Timer for charging
  15. Built In LED RGB panel display to show operational mode
  16. Supports Equalization Charge up to 62V

Loads have two elements and it is unclear what your loads are. One is the immediate needs expressed in Watts or kW. That is how an inverter would be sized. The other is based on time and and is expressed in kWhours, and that is how battery capacity should be sized.

The MPPT portion of your all-in-one looks good. There is a lot of room for growth.

Now we need to make sure your solar panels are configured properly. You'll probably want a 3s2p configuration, but since I don't know the detailed specs of the panels. that's just speculation. Please provide a link to the panels or the specs of the panels. We're looking for the details like Voc, Isc, etc.

This unit is way overkill for your batteries. You have 2400w of battery (and that is 100% to dead cycling) so unless you are powering something mighty for a short time why get a 6500w inverter?

What are you putting in this cargo hauler? :p

The MPPT portion of your all-in-one looks good. There is a lot of room for growth.

Now we need to make sure your solar panels are configured properly. You'll probably want a 3s2p configuration, but since I don't know the detailed specs of the panels. that's just speculation. Please provide a link to the panels or the specs of the panels. We're looking for the details like Voc, Isc, etc.

Seraphim 370W​

• Rated Power: 370W
  • Open circuit voltage (VOC): 47.8 V
  • Max power voltage (VMP): 38.9 V
  • Short circuit current (ISC): 9.88 A
  • Max power current: 9.52
  • Maximum system voltage: 1500V UL
  • Fuse Rating: 20 A
  • IP68 Junction Box with bypass diodes and industry-standard solar connectors
  • Weight: 21.5 kg(47.4 lbs)
  • Dimensions: 1956 x 992 x 40 mm(77.01×39.0
Hope this helps????? I have 240 inches of length on the trailer - was thinking of mounting 3 length wise on the left side and 3 on the right side and being able to also tilt them......6 panels at 370 watts 2220 watt solar array. I'm hoping with the all in one and two battle born's 24 volt each in series I could have plenty of power for a residential fridge (economical 7.2 size and a mini split (economical also) I'll be able to run most everything I want. I'm just not sure if having another 2 24 volt batteries will help for emergencies - if I can charge them up why not?????

This unit is way overkill for your batteries. You have 2400w of battery (and that is 100% to dead cycling) so unless you are powering something mighty for a short time why get a 6500w inverter?

What are you putting in this cargo hauler? :p
led lights, residential 7.2 fridge/freezer, tv, mini split and laptop, and a 12 volt for fresh water pumping. Will be using propane for heat also (2nd option) and propane stove. The mini split will be an alternative heat source but mainly for a/c.... I want to be able to boon dock for lengthy periods to be honest....

Seraphim 370W​

• Rated Power: 370W
  • Open circuit voltage (VOC): 47.8 V
  • Max power voltage (VMP): 38.9 V
  • Short circuit current (ISC): 9.88 A
  • Max power current: 9.52
  • Maximum system voltage: 1500V UL
  • Fuse Rating: 20 A
  • IP68 Junction Box with bypass diodes and industry-standard solar connectors
  • Weight: 21.5 kg(47.4 lbs)
  • Dimensions: 1956 x 992 x 40 mm(77.01×39.0
Hope this helps????? I have 240 inches of length on the trailer - was thinking of mounting 3 length wise on the left side and 3 on the right side and being able to also tilt them......6 panels at 370 watts 2220 watt solar array. I'm hoping with the all in one and two battle born's 24 volt each in series I could have plenty of power for a residential fridge (economical 7.2 size and a mini split (economical also) I'll be able to run most everything I want. I'm just not sure if having another 2 24 volt batteries will help for emergencies - if I can charge them up why not?????

As I said earlier, you're going to want to put those six panels in a 3s2p configuration. That will give you 143.4 Voc to the MPPT. If you put all six panels in series (6s) that would give you 286 Voc, which is way over the MPPT's PV input limit of 250v. 3s2p is the best configuration, minimal hardware and no fusing between strings. 2s3p is also available, if you are concerned about shading. But that configuration will require more hardware and fusing between the three strings.

The mini split units are usually very efficient. You probably have enough PV to run the mini split for a few hours during the day without dipping into the battery. However, that may limit how much charge the batteries get. Once the sun goes down, you're not going to be running the mini split much. Need the specs on the mini split to know for sure.

I boondock for however long I want using 640 watts on the roof and 640 watts on the ground. I do not run the air conditioning from my PV or LiFePO4 batteries.

As I said earlier, you're going to want to put those six panels in a 3s2p configuration. That will give you 143.4 Voc to the MPPT. If you put all six panels in series (6s) that would give you 286 Voc, which is way over the MPPT's PV input limit of 250v. 3s2p is the best configuration, minimal hardware and no fusing between strings. 2s3p is also available, if you are concerned about shading. But that configuration will require more hardware and fusing between the three strings.

The mini split units are usually very efficient. You probably have enough PV to run the mini split for a few hours during the day without dipping into the battery. However, that may limit how much charge the batteries get. Once the sun goes down, you're not going to be running the mini split much. Need the specs on the mini split to know for sure.

I boondock for however long I want using 640 watts on the roof and 640 watts on the ground. I do not run the air conditioning from my PV or LiFePO4 batteries.
So if I understand correctly I will wire 3 in series and 2 in parallel but what do I do with the other panel of 370 watts? Would I also connect the solar panels after parallel or after series? Thats a dumb question but I don't know the answer.....

I really think either 2/3rds of your system is to big, or 1/3 is way to small (battery). You have a system that will probably generate 10kw of power on a good sunny day (5 hours), and inverter that will power up to 5000w continuous, and you have effectively 4000w of battery to play with after the sun goes down.

Last edited:
So if I understand correctly I will wire 3 in series and 2 in parallel but what do I do with the other panel of 370 watts? Would I also connect the solar panels after parallel or after series? Thats a dumb question but I don't know the answer.....
You will wire 3 panels together in series, and 3 panels together in series, and then take those two sets of wires and combine them (parallel).

Back