diy solar

diy solar

48 volt battery charger with generator

Colormaker

I have 6 lifepower 48 volt 100a running 2 EG46500ex in split phase. I would like to use a generator for battery charging only. The generator is non inverter type. I was told by signature solar not to use EG46500ex with generator so we got one of there charger but it only charges at 18A. I saw that Bigbattery makes a 240v charger at 50A. Are there pros&cons to using multiple 18A chargers or 1 50A charger. The generator is 120/240 6500 watts and I would like to use its max capability.

I'm using (5) of the 18A chargers for my setup. I have them, I just need to make a charing board for them.

I'm going to bolt them down on a piece of 3/4" plywood with some 200A busbars. Then remove the alligator clamps and replace them with copper lugs. Combine them on the buss bars, then have (2) 2/0 cables to connect the bus bars to my battery bank 400A bus bars. Add handles to the plywood for moving it around.

I have a transfer switch already. I'm unwiring it from the grid main panel and rewiring it to an 8 gang outlet array. Each outlet on its own 20A circuit. This will let me choose how many to plug in. This gives me the ability to run either my full size gen for all (5) or my smaller, quieter and more fuel efficient 2200W unit for just one to bump it a little.

The 8 gang outlet array also gives me the option to just run extension cords to critical loads using the gen should I have to take the solar system down.

The ones I have are fixed voltage 58.4V. They are just dumb chargers. No float. But that's fine because my batteries have BMSs and thr whole process of using a generator is manual and temporary. In my situation the generator will be a rare usage. I have 105kwh of battery storage and grid tie. (Not feedback, just AC grid backup for pass through).

If I was offgrid and had an auto start gen, I'd buy those Mean Wells.

I'm building a charging wall - using 8 x Chargers @ 15a each for a total of 120a. For the chargers I'm using YZPOWER lithium-ion (14s) @ 15a https://www.ebay.com/itm/284647244994 but they make 16s LifePo4 @ 15a as well and lessor amps. As far as I can tell from googling for a while now - $110 for 48v @ 15a charger is pretty reasonable. Having multiple chargers will let me select the load on the generator for best fuel efficiency or max charging and avoid having eggs all in one basket.

Not pushing these (just sharing), but already use 2 of them with a Honda eu3000is over the last 2 years and they have worked well.

*My system is older/individual components rather than more modern AIOs... so dedicated charging units makes sense for me. My AIMS inverters have a charging function as well but the functionality is a little different than straight battery priority mode - and I just prefer independent charging.

Last edited:
Using multiple 18A chargers may be more convenient and allow you to charge your batteries in parallel, but using a single 50A charger may be more efficient and allow you to charge your batteries faster. However, it is important to consider the capacity of your generator and the maximum charging rate of your batteries.

Using a generator to charge your batteries can be done, but it is important to use a charger that is compatible with your generator. Non-inverter generators can be prone to voltage fluctuations, and it is important to use a charger that is able to handle these fluctuations and protect your batteries from overcharging or undercharging.

It is also important to consider the charging rate of your batteries. If the charging rate of the 50A charger is too high, it may damage your batteries or shorten their lifespan. On the other hand, if the charging rate of the 18A chargers is too low, it may take a long time to charge your batteries fully.

In summary, using multiple 18A chargers may be more convenient, but using a single 50A charger may be more efficient. It is important to consider the capacity of your generator and the maximum charging rate of your batteries when deciding which option is best for you.

Back