diy solar

diy solar

48 Volt Solar array question

Sorry to hear this. Well, I'm not a young guy either, I'll be 61 in three more months. At this point, I'm a bit confused about what you are telling me.

I currently wired them in series 4 100watt panels to achieve the 48volts... Currently during peak Sun Conditions they produce around 70 volts each string... I then Paralleled 6 strings together... The 12 kw Off Grid Growatt inverter has 2 PV inputs so I put 3 strings into one input and 3 strings in the other... At Peak Sun conditions the best I have gotten current wise to the batteries is 42 watts...

Are you saying that you put together a system with four 100W panels (400W), or a system with 6 strings of four 100 panels (2400W)? It seems to me you are saying 2400W? If it's the former, you very definately need more watts. If it's the later, it would be easy to just re-wire the panels from a 4S6P configuration into a 6S4P configuration. Assuming your panels have an Voc of 22.0V, six in series would not reach 155V till the outside temperature went down to ~-20F.

In the statement you're getting 42watts, I think what you meant to say was 42amps? Is that correct?

BTW, if in fact, you are wiring 3 strings together at one input terminal, that is considered to be an unsafe condition. Three independent strings should be on separate breakers/fuses. You should be using a combiner box. This is the Midnight one I use.
View attachment 29468
If you re-wired your arrays to 6S4P, you might be safe wiring the 4 strings in 2+2 configuration into the two inputs, though if it was me, I'd still use a combiner.

I'm not keen myself about going up on the roof, so what I've done is focused my attention on ground mounts that have the added benefit of tracking the sun over the course of the day. I built them myself, out of schedule 40 pipe, and Home-Depot uni-struts. Here's a pic of my fourth generation design, which I am very proud of.

Once the frame sub-assemblies were welded, final assembly, and solar panel attachment took only 2-3 hours. Assembly was accomplished by my son and myself only. Starting at maybe 8am, we were making power by noon. This is the 8th array I've built.

If you want something even simpler, just make a fixed ground mount facing south out of some lumber and unistruts. BTW, always paint galvanized uni-struts so you don't have galvanic corrosion between the aluminum panel frame, and the zinc coating of the uni-struts.
Combiner is a great idea... I am going to order one soon so I can have it ready for when we get a break in the weather... Any suggestions for a Supplier???

I am running 4p7s right now but have been advised to up them to 6p5s for higher charging capacity... Right now weather is hindering me from getting on the roof and rewiring to the 6p5s config.. My panels are mounted on struts flat on the roof so each row has to be removed to rewire.
On the front Panel is a Standbye/off/Power switch,,, Any idea what the Standbye mode is used for... Cannot find any reference in the manual.

On the front Panel is a Standbye/off/Power switch,,, Any idea what the Standbye mode is used for... Cannot find any reference in the manual.
My stratege would be to push the button and see what happens.

One important thing to keep in mind is even off is not really off for some inverters. My Schneider is only completely off when the breaker to the battery is flipped off. So, if a problem is encountered and you want to reboot the system to perform a hard reset, the best way is to cut the DC input completely.

Back