48 volts charger/inverter to 24 volt batteries

Felix1964

Hi everyone. I have No experience at all, but keen to learn. Im planning to get a 5 kw system in future, but Im confused about numbers. We consume or use like 5 kw a day, and we were told to buy a charger/inverter at 5 kw and 48 volt, but how can we load 24 volt battery with this unit. Our panels are 2 x 540 watts and 49 max volt per panel.

Thank you ahead. Hope not to ask in vain.

Best whishes from Felix, Denmark

NVS

Solar Enthusiast
Simply you can't. You need a 48 volt battery.

OffGridInTheCity

Solar Addict
Hi everyone. I have No experience at all, but keen to learn. Im planning to get a 5 kw system in future, but Im confused about numbers. We consume or use like 5 kw a day, and we were told to buy a charger/inverter at 5 kw and 48 volt, but how can we load 24 volt battery with this unit. Our panels are 2 x 540 watts and 49 max volt per panel.

Thank you ahead. Hope not to ask in vain.

Best whishes from Felix, Denmark
If you take 5kwh/day and divide by 24hrs you get 208w/hour - so you need at least a 250w inverter with a steady 208w/hour all 24hrs. Its HOW you consume the power - e.g. steady or in spikes - that determine the size of your inverter. In my trailer I have a 3000w inverter and consume 5kwh/day but its mostly the mini-split that averages the 200w/hour but can spike up to 1000w momentarily. This gives me an extra 2000w for the microwave (1000w for a few minutes), the 5 gal hot water tank (1200w for 20minutes to heat up for a shower), the hot plate (900w), and plenty for lights, TV, etc. BUT, I cannot everything *all at once* - just need to stager the use a bit.

With regard to 48v vs 24v. As @NVS just said - you MUST match the equipment to the battery :) In your case, you could very well get by with a 2000w inverter and buy something like the MPP LV2424 - https://watts247.com/product/hybrid-lv2424/ and I'm sure you can find a little higher inverter for 24v is you search.