diy solar

diy solar

[48V-240V Inverter] Magnum MS4448 out of stock. SunGoldPower alternative?

Old_Skewler

Solar Enthusiast
After working with some forum members and the manufacturer (Sensata) I was able to finalize a solution for my off-grid cabin and lock on a 240V-48V solution design. The package I had was the following:
  • Magnum MS4448PAE
  • MagnaSine PT-100 Solar Charger
  • Magnum MMP Panel
  • ME-AGS-N Genset Starter
  • ME-ARC, control module
Unfortunately Magnum inverters are backordered for at least a year, according to two separate distributors. The manufacturer is not able to tell me when products will hit the market again. A bit frustrating after so much research and hundreds of conversations and installation manuals and specs reading. Good thing is, I was able to learn a LOT during the process.

In any case, I cannot afford to move the specs up the chain line - Outback, Victron, SMA, etc. I just don't have the juice for that. So I am considering moving the specs down a bit. And that land me at SunGoldPower.

From what I can see from my research, this would be a step down in technical support and perhaps quality. At the same time it could also cost significantly less than the Magnum setup.

I guess before entering another rabbit hole of research and manual/specs readings, I wanted to hear from someone with more experience with this brand whether they would recommend it.

I am highly considering either the 4kW 48V Split Phase basic inverter package/charger OR the 6kW 48V Split Phase Solar inverter charger.

Two things I am concerned with:

1. For some reason the literature does NOT mention lithium batteries but deep cycle or starter batteries. I find hard to believe these products do not support different chemistry battery?

2. SunGoldPower support - a few threads on the forum about lack of support.

Any feedback?

They support lithium. Which were you looking at?

The inverter charger (no solar charge controller built in)
page 8 of the manual - setting 3 is lithium (probably traditional cobalt-based), setting 7 is LiFePO4.

This 6000W solar inverter charger
Look at page 12 of the manual - Switch setting 3 is lithium (probably traditional cobalt-based), setting 7 is LiFePO4.

Good thing is both units are low frequency inverters, which should be pretty robust.

They support lithium. Which were you looking at?
You are correct but their documentation is also ambiguous: they seem to have a setting for lithium batteries but at the same time they have an entire section on the manual discussing "starter x deep cycle" Lead Acid batteries.

Also, it does not appear that any battery charging customization beyond the basic battery selector is available.

I suspect my next step is to compare the SGP charging values against the EG4 battery requirements and hope they somehow match.

Good thing is both units are low frequency inverters, which should be pretty robust.
I don't fully understand the differences but one thing that concerns me is the stand-by consumption. The Magnum has a pretty low standby loss... the SGP slightly higher.

Yeah, they don't go into detail on the lithiums, but they support them either way. And yeah, you can't really customize the charge profile. It is pretty basic.

Yeah, they don't go into detail on the lithiums, but they support them either way. And yeah, you can't really customize the charge profile. It is pretty basic.
Glad to hear I am reading these specs correctly. Thank you for confirming it.

For an extra $500 it seems like it makes sense to go with the AIO package. Just the Magnum PT-100 solar charger was about $1,000.

I am in a similar situation, really want the same Magnum inverter but can't find them anywhere due to the backorder
I'm leaning heavily towards the TP6048, https://sungoldpower.com/collection...-hybrid-solar-inverter-split-phase-120-240vac I'm waiting to hear back from Sungold about the idle consumption.
Or pick up the inverter only for a few hundred less and get a separate SCC to keep the modular / easier to replace components setup. My well pump pulls ~35 amps on each leg on startup surge so I need a LF with a solid reliable surge rating.

I am in a similar situation, really want the same Magnum inverter but can't find them anywhere due to the backorder
I'm leaning heavily towards the TP6048, https://sungoldpower.com/collection...-hybrid-solar-inverter-split-phase-120-240vac I'm waiting to hear back from Sungold about the idle consumption.
Or pick up the inverter only for a few hundred less and get a separate SCC to keep the modular / easier to replace components setup. My well pump pulls ~35 amps on each leg on startup surge so I need a LF with a solid reliable surge rating.
Any updates on your end? And clarification regarding idle consumption? This is also important as I will run these on batteries.

I am still a few steps behind you since I have to build the shed first. Hoping to start ordering equipment by summer time. Still concerned about SGP reliability but the price is very enticing.

Any updates on your end? And clarification regarding idle consumption? This is also important as I will run these on batteries.

I am still a few steps behind you since I have to build the shed first. Hoping to start ordering equipment by summer time. Still concerned about SGP reliability but the price is very enticing.
I'm still searching for the perfect inverter, have a feeling I'll be searching for a while and need to settle....
SGP replied to my question on amazon regarding idle consumption, 135 watts for the TP6048. I feel this is excessive. I'm still leaning this route and offsetting the idle consumption with more panels. The other features of the inverter seem great but the idle consumption is holding me back, that a fair chunk of your battery on cloudy days.

SGP replied to my question on amazon regarding idle consumption, 135 watts for the TP6048. I feel this is excessive
This can't be right. I went over the manuals for the LF-PV series and this is what they listed:

1652114847794.png

90 watt idle is very high....my magnasine MS-4024AE idles at 20 watts fans off, 40 watts fans on

My stone antique Dynamote Brutus idles at 96 watts , it is the very first high frequency electronics driving low frequency transformer and is the forerunner of the MagnaSine, Outback and many others

The big Schneider's idle at about 40 watts..

Back