diy solar

diy solar

48v 64 cell SAB 60280 Batrium K9 Rack Build

Wow what a system and great pics. i am so drooling profusely.
Cells are running around 58 ah testing so your monster system is at 928 ah @ 48 volts capable of pushing 1760 amp @ 48 volts @ over 7000 bucks for the cells alone. i think i just peed on myself.
One of the most professional jobs i have seen, hats of to ya !

I 3D printed blue bushings that fit between every row of cells and orange bushings that 5/8 threaded steel rods run through the server rack and busbar to support the weight. The bottom cells are suspended mid air and touch nothing ? The foam pad was temporary to get initial height for when I put my first support rod In. Yes I also like the phenolic block idea to join columns!View attachment 74453View attachment 74454
I scrapped this wiring idea just showing the bushings for cell support. I made sure everything is within thousands of an inch in Accuracy to get maximum support. I gave the busbar terminal holes a bit of extra leeway for mounting ease. But when I bolt up the busbar support blocks it pulls everything square due to the bushing placement and size.

Yeah, sorry. I was just working with the image I cropped, and it wasn't punching me in the face, so I missed it.

Does everyone agree the busbar should come into direct contact with the top of the cell terminal on basically any system?

This setup is amazing, that's the only fault point that I see, looks like an easy fix to an excellent battery bank.

Does everyone agree the busbar should come into direct contact with the top of the cell terminal on basically any system?

This setup is amazing, that's the only fault point that I see, looks like an easy fix to an excellent battery bank.
Thank You! Due to the awesome members of this forum and their advice; I removed all fiber washers and terminal rings and directly mounted busbars to battery terminals. I ran BMS leads into tapped hole in Busbars. So before I ran into major issues the risk should be eliminated befor any load is put on batteries ?

If anyone is interested in buying copper bus bar cheaper then anywhere else and making their own in the US.

i buy from them all the time and am pleased with the service. when bought in 12' lengths each bus bar is under 3 dollars depending on length. i saved 4 to 5 dollars a foot compared to ebay. their Aluminum is way cheaper also.

Also if you want extravagant and go with silver plated bus bar.

unfortunately this is only 1/4 inch thickness but their service is very good and stand by their products.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in buying copper bus bar cheaper then anywhere else and making their own in the US.

i buy from them all the time and am pleased with the service. when bought in 12' lengths each bus bar is under 3 dollars depending on length. i saved 4 to 5 dollars a foot compared to ebay. their Aluminum is way cheaper also.

Also if you want extravagant and go with silver plated bus bar.

unfortunately this is only 1/4 inch thickness but their service is very good and stand by their products.
1/8" x 3/4" wide 6 foot is about 10% cheaper at McMaster.
I bought my copper busbar from McMaster as their shipping has been quite consistent. I'll have to check out the other site he mentioned. Hopefully I don't have to buy anymore anytime soon haha. 20211030_023014.jpg

I need ... 112 feet of that copper... so painful.

I'm proably going with 1/4" x 1" Aluminum... dirt cheap by comparison... about 1/3 the price and about the same conductivity... and more worry about surface prep.

I'm proably going with 1/4" x 1" Aluminum... dirt cheap by comparison... about 1/3 the price and about the same conductivity... and more worry about surface prep.
I went with Aluminum for my battery busbars too due to the same. Cost lol. I couldn't imagine how much it would have cost using copper

Better read up on that.

https://www.taisin.com.sg/copper-vs-aluminum-busbar/

"The conductivity of the aluminum busbar depends on the alloy and the temperature. The conductivity of pure aluminum is approximately 65.0% of IACS (International Annealed Copper Standard).
Aluminum has 62% the conductivity of copper, which normally leads engineers to disregard aluminum as a viable conductor for busbar trunking systems. As a result, a much larger size of conductor will be required to match the current carrying capacity of a copper conductor.
"

"When considered on volume, copper outperforms aluminum. Boasting a lower electrical resistance, lower power loss, lower voltage drop and higher ampacity. All of these contribute to the electrical efficiency of the busbar trunking system."

Better read up on that.

Why?

https://www.taisin.com.sg/copper-vs-aluminum-busbar/

"The conductivity of the aluminum busbar depends on the alloy and the temperature. The conductivity of pure aluminum is approximately 65.0% of IACS (International Annealed Copper Standard).
Aluminum has 62% the conductivity of copper, which normally leads engineers to disregard aluminum as a viable conductor for busbar trunking systems. As a result, a much larger size of conductor will be required to match the current carrying capacity of a copper conductor.
"

"When considered on volume, copper outperforms aluminum. Boasting a lower electrical resistance, lower power loss, lower voltage drop and higher ampacity. All of these contribute to the electrical efficiency of the busbar trunking system."

I've run the numbers. .094 sq-in of Cu v.s .250 sq-in of Al (2.66X the cross section).

Do I want to spend $1300 on Cu bus bars or $450 on Al?

I could see this on a large to very large job but on the smaller systems like i have . i thought copper was the way to go to get the most bang for my buck. the bottle neck thus is the motor not any of the remaining hardware.

Back