diy solar

diy solar

48v battery build

Firetodd

I have ordered 16 280ah cells and will be building a 48v battery for my system. The battery will be connected to a MPP LV6548. I was planning on buying an overkill 48v BMS, but it has a 100 amp limit. While I don’t plan on ever using more than 4800 watts at once, I don’t want to limit the capabilities of the all in one. So I was wondering if there is any benefit to getting 2 24v BMS and then series connecting the two 24v batteries. Would that give me 200 amp capacity? Or do I just need to find a different BMS that is closer to 150amps?

BTW, this is for a 5th wheel RV...

don't do that...if you buy a Daly bms. they are not design for that....buy a 16s BMS. save you headache.

Two batteries in series with 100 amp BMS's would only give you 100 amps. This route you are trying to take can also cause the 2 BMS/(cell groups/battery) to potentially get to different charge levels.

So you could have a "cell group" at 12.6 volts and the other above 14.4 volts....The cell group at 14.4 will shutdown before the other "cell group" is charged. And on discharge the 12.6 "cell group" will shutdown early before the 14.4 group is depleted....You wont get full capacity usage of your cells.....Having a bms, the cells will be protected, but just wont get full output.

@smoothJoey i have the cells on order through Michael Caro on a group buy, the tools and power supply are arriving today from Amazon, the LV6548 has been ordered from Ian from watts247.com, and the panels have been ordered from Santansolar.com - I will order the overkill BMS 16s unit and then most likely the octocoupler ssr. When I install it, I will probably take you up on that and send you a message. Thank you!

@smoothJoey i have the cells on order through Michael Caro on a group buy, the tools and power supply are arriving today from Amazon, the LV6548 has been ordered from Ian from watts247.com, and the panels have been ordered from Santansolar.com - I will order the overkill BMS 16s unit and then most likely the octocoupler ssr. When I install it, I will probably take you up on that and send you a message. Thank you!
Do watch the video before you order.

Back