diy solar

diy solar

48v Battery Charger?

I received the charger today. Not stoked with the packaging, but it made it here okay, so I cant complain.

20210930_135208.jpg

1 piece of foam on top

20210930_135215.jpg

Charger with no packaging around it.

20210930_135220.jpg

Charger itself. I opted for ring terminals. Some nice heavy duty wiring.

20210930_135304.jpg

Specs. Nice power factor, and high efficiency. Not all of these specs were on the listing.

20210930_135309.jpg

Overall I'm happy, but wish it were packaged better. Total after air shipping and fees etc was $160.

Quick power test, I fired up my ryobi 1800 watt generator and plugged it in. The specs on the bottom of the charger aren't exactly accurate, but who knows given the circumstances. My battery was at 93% charged, and I plugged it in, the generator bogged a bit but was able to maintain it without shutting down.

The generator reported a constant 1325w draw+/- 5-6 watts. My clamp meter read 22.5a at 53.3v, equating to right at 1200 watts. This is a 90.5% efficiency. So its a little off on efficiency and power output (rated at 25a).

Either way, the 1325w draw on my generator is perfect. Its at 75% load making it better for long term, rather than running at 90%+ load all the time. The generator also reports it can sustain the 75% load for a little over 6 hours with the 1.2 gallon tank.

Debating between a Riden 6018 on Amazon for $200 right now, the Aims 18.5a charger for $275+shipping (same charging capacity as the Riden, but atleast with the Riden I can top balance more cells that I have on the way) Or the Signature solar EG4 25a charger for $259.

I keep scouring Alibaba and Aliexpress, but I keep turning away from them, I would rather buy from someone a little more trusting I guess.
I have the Riden. Nice piece of kit. You have to put it together yourself though.

Quick power test, I fired up my ryobi 1800 watt generator and plugged it in. The specs on the bottom of the charger aren't exactly accurate, but who knows given the circumstances. My battery was at 93% charged, and I plugged it in, the generator bogged a bit but was able to maintain it without shutting down.

The generator reported a constant 1325w draw+/- 5-6 watts. My clamp meter read 22.5a at 53.3v, equating to right at 1200 watts. This is a 90.5% efficiency. So its a little off on efficiency and power output (rated at 25a).

Either way, the 1325w draw on my generator is perfect. Its at 75% load making it better for long term, rather than running at 90%+ load all the time. The generator also reports it can sustain the 75% load for a little over 6 hours with the 1.2 gallon tank.
How is this unit running? I discovered I may not be able to charge my batteries with my inverter/charger, so I'm looking for another option that doesn't mean buying a gas hungry 240 generator.

How is this unit running? I discovered I may not be able to charge my batteries with my inverter/charger, so I'm looking for another option that doesn't mean buying a gas hungry 240 generator.
It's been running great. The charger i use often, not only when off grid, but to keep the inverters doing their job rather than switching over to an inconsistent grid.

The generator is a little finicky, getting it to start its a little tough and I need to take it back and get it checked out

It's been running great. The charger i use often, not only when off grid, but to keep the inverters doing their job rather than switching over to an inconsistent grid.

The generator is a little finicky, getting it to start its a little tough and I need to take it back and get it checked out
Great info on the charger. I will be looking into it.
Thank you

Lt Dan, thanks for the updates, I will be looking into these. how close are the voltage regulation specs?

Lt Dan, thanks for the updates, I will be looking into these. how close are the voltage regulation specs?
Voltage regulation as in the DC output? My battery bank is actually so large and constantly being used faster than the charger can charge it, so I never really get to see the voltage curve per say.

I have seen for some reason if the charger is on for a long period of time, say roughly 24 hrs, the output will drop to 400watts or so. But after turning it off/on it goes back to full output.

I received the charger today. Not stoked with the packaging, but it made it here okay, so I cant complain.

View attachment 67005

1 piece of foam on top

View attachment 67006

Charger with no packaging around it.

View attachment 67007

Charger itself. I opted for ring terminals. Some nice heavy duty wiring.

View attachment 67009

Specs. Nice power factor, and high efficiency. Not all of these specs were on the listing.

View attachment 67010

Overall I'm happy, but wish it were packaged better. Total after air shipping and fees etc was $160.
Thanks for the review! This looks exactly the same as the 48V 25A charger that Signature Solar sells, but for $170 vs $280, shipping and taxes considered.

Thanks for the review! This looks exactly the same as the 48V 25A charger that Signature Solar sells, but for $170 vs $280, shipping and taxes considered.
Nice size cables and connectors though. Do you have a link to the seller?

I am totally impressed by the generator and its sofeware operating system. Super nice piece!

thanks for sharing.

Mike

Yep, almost $50 shipping for me.
I am getting an ebike shortly, and it comes with a 48V charger, but only 2 amp. I am thinking of adding a 52V battery though, and that would need a 58-60v charger, so I would need either 2 different chargers, or a variable one. The Riden I have can do up to 18 amps and 60V, and can be set to top balance my LiFePo4 cells at 3.6V also, so I may just stay with that for now.

Wait, did I miss something? Signature Solar's charger only puts out 17A?
Some people have been mentioning lower output from the Signature Solar EG4 charger, but idk if its true or maybe its the way they are getting their readings. This Ali charger is rock solid at 1325 watts from the AC source, and 1200 at the DC output, when measured several different ways.

Some people have been mentioning lower output from the Signature Solar EG4 charger, but idk if its true or maybe its the way they are getting their readings. This Ali charger is rock solid at 1325 watts from the AC source, and 1200 at the DC output, when measured several different ways.
Thanks for the review. So it took about 3 weeks from order to delivery? Did you choose the "Ali Charter Express" shipping option?

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. So it took about 3 weeks from order to delivery? Did you choose the "Ali Charter Express" shipping option?
Yeah about 3 weeks. I let them choose the shipping, I just got an in-writing confirmation when it was going to show up and I was happy.

Back