diy solar

diy solar

48v battery to power 24v bus

A step-down convert would be my preferred option, however I have not ye seen any that can handle loads of 3000 watts.... the windlass and winches draw 3000 watts.
so you need 125a? Perhaps paralleling multiple 48-24v dc dc converters. Before you start meandering off in that direction, though, perhaps compare the cost of purchasing 8 more cells to just make a 24v battery. You can run 2 isolated differing nominal voltage systems side-by-side. Also wait to hear more suggestions. There may be another more elegant solution. I'm not as experienced as some of the people on the forum.

so you need 125a? Perhaps paralleling multiple 48-24v dc dc converters. Before you start meandering off in that direction, though, perhaps compare the cost of purchasing 8 more cells to just make a 24v battery. You can run 2 isolated differing nominal voltage systems side-by-side. Also wait to hear more suggestions. There may be another more elegant solution. I'm not as experienced as some of the people on the forum.
I was uncertain if it is possible to run two step-down converters in parallel, thank you for proposing this. I will consider then, using several step-down converters in parallel with one on the shelf as a spare in the event one fails, this is lighter in weight than a battery... and the 24V battery that I have already purchased can be re-configerd to 48V and added to the 48V battery bank.

I was uncertain if it is possible to run two step-down converters in parallel, thank you for proposing this. I will consider then, using several step-down converters in parallel with one on the shelf as a spare in the event one fails, this is lighter in weight than a battery... and the 24V battery that I have already purchased can be re-configerd to 48V and added to the 48V battery bank.
You're welcome!

Or maybe it would be more safe to place the BMS to isolate the busbar instead of the battery ?View attachment 58043

That image shows the four 24 volt connections causing a straight short if you have both 24volt BMS's and the 48 volt BMS connected.

Sorry for the terrible phone scribble mark up, but I tried to show the connections across the battery. The 48 v in red, the 24v connections in blue and yellow.

The positive 24v connections short across the second half of the pack and the negative 24v connections short across the first half of the pack.

Screenshot 2021-07-29 084751~2.png

Back