diy solar

diy solar

48v breaker/fuse between charge controller and battery

Gelston

I'm building a solar pontoon over the winter and I'm gathering all the equipment I need. I have 2 Jinko 405w panels going through a 2 pole breaker/disconnect and into a Victron 150/35 solar charge controller.
What type of breaker or fuse and switch should I use between the SCC and my 48v battery?
I was looking at the Bussmann/Blue Sea 187/285 surface mount breakers, but they list 48v max and I'm not sure those would be right for a 48v nominal system.

looking for suggestions. Thanks.

As you know, you will be well above 48V when charging and I won’t use something that much over spec.

Midnite Solar, Schneider and others make properly rated breakers. Or I go to Amazon and search for C65H-DC breakers. Rated to 250V.

One example :

I have one of those between my panels and charge controller for a pv disconnect. Can I use the single pole dc breaker on the positive wire between the charge controller and battery and does it matter which direction it's wired? I'd like to put it in the same waterproof enclosure that I'm putting the bmv shunt in, but now I might need a bigger enclosure. No big deal.

I would recommend a 2 pole. Although a single pole would still provide an on/off switch. You want to connect the live positive wire to the top of the breaker.
I have one of those between my panels and charge controller for a pv disconnect. Can I use the single pole dc breaker on the positive wire between the charge controller and battery and does it matter which direction it's wired? I'd like to put it in the same waterproof enclosure that I'm putting the bmv shunt in, but now I might need a bigger enclosure. No big deal.

I would recommend a 2 pole. Although a single pole would still provide an on/off switch. You want to connect the live positive wire to the top of the breaker.
When it's between the charge controller and the battery which wire is the live positive wire? Sorry for all the questions, but this seems the best place to ask.

When it's between the charge controller and the battery which wire is the live positive wire? Sorry for all the questions, but this seems the best place to ask.
Sorry, I should have been clearer.
The charger should be connected to the top.
Power flows from the charger to the battery.

Back