diy solar

diy solar

48V DC - Gasoline Generator Onan RV replacement

eXodus

Solar Addict
My RV has a old Onan 5500 Generator which it's on it's last leg. RV generators are rather expensive and put out 120V - 240V

So I was searching - could I replace the generator with a DC-Direct Gasoline generator?

V5 AutoGen 48v DC Generator Charger 70 amps maximum​

I got 10kWh of Chins batteries - and roughly 900W of solar and during the winter months I don't get enough charge and have to top of my batteries every couple of days. The DC direct generator would fill up my batteries in less then 3 hours.

My All-In-One connected to the Onan needs about 4-5 hours. Further the DC direct is much smaller - and lighter 50lbs vs the Onan 288lbs.
I could add another 10 kWh of batteries for the weight when I drop the Onan.

What do you guys think?

What exact voltage does it output?
What is the exact runtime life in hours?
What is the maintenance schedule?
Will you run it on LPG or gasoline?

What exact voltage does it output?
adjustable. 48-59v
What is the exact runtime life in hours?
Most of those small engines last 1000-2000 hrs.
What is the maintenance schedule?
I would also guess from the general small engine kind of oil change interval 50-100 hrs.

Will you run it on LPG or gasoline?
both, you can get it with a LPG kit. It states that it runs: 5L for 12-18 hours (1 Gallon + 1 quart)

I found the Chinese Base engine: (or something similar)

Fuel consumption looks pretty amazing:

Fuel consumption260-395g
Rated: 4.3KW/3600RP @ 370g/kw/h Mechanical

That means 3kWh of electric charge to batteries for less then half a liter of gasoline. 1 Gallon = 3.78L = 33kWh of raw chemical energy

My Onan needs half a gallon per hour - 2L to produce 3-4kWh. That would mean this DC-Direct generator has only 1/4 of the fuel consumption.

I was also looking at these, quite the price difference between the two listed.

Yes of course you can but then all 120V stuff in the coach has to go through the inverter.
I got an All-In-One Growatt inverter - everything 120V is already going through that. I intercepted the power cord going into the RV and routed it directly to the AIO. - from there to the 120V power panel.

Currently really use the grid and generator only to recharge.

I was also looking at these, quite the price difference between the two listed.
the Alibaba version is single speed. I guess the AutoGen5 has some software, adjustable voltage, bluetooth. etc.

I got an All-In-One Growatt inverter - everything 120V is already going through that. I intercepted the power cord going into the RV and routed it directly to the AIO. - from there to the 120V power panel.

Currently really use the grid and generator only to recharge.
Do it. Get a 48-12v reducer and get one of the Onan 12V fuel pumps to feed it just like the one on your old generator.

Vent and exhaust it properly. It will take some fab work but why not?

Edit:

$2500.00? Nevermind. Don't do it. Adapt a Honda or Yamaha inverter gen to the space or just strap it to the bumper.

$2500.00? Nevermind. Don't do it. Adapt a Honda or Yamaha inverter gen to the space or just strap it to the bumper.
new Onan is $5000, but I get your point. The Chinese single stage version of the 48V generator only costs like $300... Nice profit margins ;)

Honda / Yamaha is 2000W and does not have autostart. The 3000W version don't fit the bay of the Onan.
Vent and exhaust it properly. It will take some fab work but why not?
the 48V Gen is Tiny. It's 1/5 the weight and 1/3 the size of the Onan - while same power output to batteries.
Do it. Get a 48-12v reducer and get one of the Onan 12V fuel pumps to feed it just like the one on your old generator.
I was thinking about that. Shouldn't be too difficult, the Onan sits on an isolated frame - there is Fuel, 120V and 12V already in the bay.

Would only need a relay to start the fuel pump.

Back