diy solar

diy solar

48V DC Generators from Alibaba

Gwyls

I have seen more and more "telecom" and "range extender" DC generators on Alibaba in the last year.
1641851131924.png

Seems like with remote start and stop they would be a great for keeping batteries topped up in winter.

Has anyone used one of these? What has been your experience? I am interested in the ripple current that these might have and if that would be bad for LiFePO4 batteries.

50Hz DC?

Also, I'm not so sure about any stabilization. It might work fine for lead-acid but I'm not so sure if it's a good idea to hookup to a LFP bank.

Despite the lower efficieny I would prefer a regular 110V/240V generator and a charger. Charger can be used on both grid and generator, and if you have an EV, some also provide AC voltage.

I was surprised to see an actual generator, and not a battery. Cool.

I’m guessing no way it meets us emission requirements.

I was interested in these also was told it couldn't be shipped here because it needs an epa certificate. A person used to be able to find the Italian lombardi low rpm diesels for road sign generators that would charge the battery banks but now they are all solar.

I was interested in these also was told it couldn't be shipped here because it needs an epa certificate. A person used to be able to find the Italian lombardi low rpm diesels for road sign generators that would charge the battery banks but now they are all solar.

Haha, maybe dad used to be able to “find” generators too. We have at least two older ones at our cabin that were found… :)

I've looked at these but the shipping from china is way too expensive. However, you can also buy just the permanent magnet alternator that they use and have it shipped for much less. Then you could source an engine locally. The alternators are generally designed to mount directly on the shaft and crank case of 5.5 to 6.5hp chinese honda knockoff engines, but they are intended to mount on tapered shafts, and not the straight shafts you'd find if you bought an off the shelf honda or honda knockoff. But its not hard to find a cheap pressure washer or AC generator or water pump with a dead generator head or pump that should have the appropriate tapered shaft on the engine.
There's also an abundance of cheap inverter generators with dead inverter boards, which I believe use similar permanent magnet alternators, albeit with a much higher output voltage. It might be possible to rewire the stator in those for lower output voltage, or you could source a replacement 48v stator out of china.

There are kits available to build similar units using the well loved Honda engine. I too wonder how this would work going into a MPPT.

There are kits available to build similar units using the well loved Honda engine. I too wonder how this would work going into a MPPT.
I know people have fed DC from permanent magnet alternators driven by lister and other similar low speed engines. The MPPT sweeps and the load varies but it doesn't seem to bother a big heavy low speed diesel with lots of rotating mass. I don't know how a light high speed petrol engine would take it though (or even a light high speed diesel for that matter)

Every time I have seen a generator hooked to a Charge Controller it fries the rectifier on the generator.

MPPT sweeps to achieve best power when it sweeps low it shorts the rectifier or the CC.

If you just get a DC generator that outputs at 56 volts you an charge your bank Directly.

Every time I have seen a generator hooked to a Charge Controller it fries the rectifier on the generator.

MPPT sweeps to achieve best power when it sweeps low it shorts the rectifier or the CC.

If you just get a DC generator that outputs at 56 volts you an charge your bank Directly.
So..what if the rectifier is rated above full short circuit generator output? This is good info, I have wondered about this. Perhaps PWM is the way to go?

So..what if the rectifier is rated above full short circuit generator output? This is good info, I have wondered about this. Perhaps PWM is the way to go?
Not sure honestly. Have never seen one hooked to a PWM.

If you have a DC generator you can still charge you batteries. You can even run it through your shunt to calculate SOC.

I just don’t use generator and Charge controllers because I have seen to many problems associated.

Not sure honestly. Have never seen one hooked to a PWM.

If you have a DC generator you can still charge you batteries. You can even run it through your shunt to calculate SOC.

I just don’t use generator and Charge controllers because I have seen to many problems associated.
I have a lister I want to DC to my lifepo4s and also I'm working on a gas turbine also DC but high voltage. I was hoping to run it through an MPPT to the batts. MPPTs are really not designed for it. Thanks for the insight.

How does that differ than a hydro or wind turbine set up?

Electrically it’s the same. It’s just torque and rpm but more guaranteed and steady with little sag in rpm.

Do you mean someone using a regular AC generator hooked to an mppt?

How does that differ than a hydro or wind turbine set up?

Electrically it’s the same. It’s just torque and rpm but more guaranteed and steady with little sag in rpm.

Do you mean someone using a regular AC generator hooked to an mppt?

They were with a Generator running an alternator or PMG.

Either burned up rectifier or overheated PMG.

Why is it different?
I have no idea.

Some of the EEs here might be able to tell you the why.

Last edited:
Back