diy solar

diy solar

48V Golf Cart Battery in Backup System

SmokeyJoe101

I have a RoyPow 48V 105Ah Lithium Battery (S51105). I want to use this to kick off my Off Grid system. Does anyone see an issue with using a gold cart battery as part of the battery backup system.
I plan to get the EG4 6.5kW Off-Grid Inverter | 6500EX-48 6500W for AC Power
Then build onto it as my budget allows and get the EG4-LifePower4 Lithium Battery | 48V 100AH
And then some solar panels.

First post for me, hope to get started and acquainted soon

You might need to keep you load below the max load of the inverter to take it easy on your battery. What is the max continuous discharge rating on that battery?

I looked at Roypow for my 48v golf cart, that model has 100A continuous discharge and 200a max so as long as you stay below the 200a max, you should be fine.
I does NOT have any precharge circuit so you will need to do that on your own.

I looked at Roypow for my 48v golf cart, that model has 100A continuous discharge and 200a max so as long as you stay below the 200a max, you should be fine.
I does NOT have any precharge circuit so you will need to do that on your own.
It does NOT have any precharge circuit so you will need to do that on your own. - What does this mean?

Precharge circuits allow you to precharge the capacitors in your inverter before making the final connection. It's said to be much easier on the inverter and to prevent capacitor failure.
Most installers use a resistor in line with the final connection to supply the precharge voltage and get the inverter ready for connection. Some batteries have a pre-charge circuit built in to achieve this effect, the roypow does not.
Just calling it out so you can plan.

Precharge circuits allow you to precharge the capacitors in your inverter before making the final connection. It's said to be much easier on the inverter and to prevent capacitor failure.
Most installers use a resistor in line with the final connection to supply the precharge voltage and get the inverter ready for connection. Some batteries have a pre-charge circuit built in to achieve this effect, the roypow does not.
Just calling it out so you can plan.
Thanks - Yes I was planning on a 25 to 50ohm rated at 50watts or so. I just did not know what it was called.

Back