diy solar

diy solar

48v Golf Cart for a power wall?

ElectricDanimal

Has anyone tried to cram mega battery storage into a golf cart? I am a solar contractor and many customers are interested in stand by power as well as net metering grid tie systems..
Some of my customers have golf carts...
how much kwh could cram into the current battery space on a 48v cart?
does anyone have recommendations on batterys and bms systems for maximum cart kwh?

Don't have anything specific for you, but after trying to size DIY LPF cells based on the volume of a 6V 224Ah battery. A 12V from LFP 280Ah cells will take about 35-40% of the footprint of PB 12V of similar height (about 9").

Don't have anything specific for you, but after trying to size DIY LPF cells based on the volume of a 6V 224Ah battery. A 12V from LFP 280Ah cells will take about 35-40% of the footprint of PB 12V of similar height (about 9").
thanks.. its an interesting concept as more small communities accept golf carts.. even if its just stand by power for short outages. add solar and you have real potential.

Will has a video of a recent upgrade he did to his cart with Model 3 battery modules. Lotsa capacity. Worth a watch.

Will has a video of a recent upgrade he did to his cart with Model 3 battery modules. Lotsa capacity. Worth a watch.
I saw that.. pretty cool.. my goal is to get as much capacity as possible. most cart conversions to lithium only size it for a few rounds of golf..I want to know how much potential for power there is.

I saw that.. pretty cool.. my goal is to get as much capacity as possible. most cart conversions to lithium only size it for a few rounds of golf..I want to know how much potential for power there is.

I think that depends on how good you are at Tetris. :)

Lithium NMC chemistry is even more power dense, so I suspect you could pack a massive battery in there. I have 8X T-1257 for about 14.4kWh rated, and I'd expect you to be able to double that pretty easily with LFP, more with NMC.

tetris,, classic.. so with your setup, assuming you only discharge down to 80%, you would have 2.88kwh of usable stand by power for a house. if I could get around 20kwh of LifePo4 comfortably in a cart we might have something.

IIRC, the T-1275 have a ~1500 cycle life to 50%, so I have about 5kW usable (one tested to about 75% rated).

20kWh? Sounds about right.

Back