diy solar

diy solar

48V LFP charger with remote on/off? (or just cut power? or use an AIO?)

agt

Solar dabbler
Hi all-

I've built a toy load-shifting system using a single GTIL2 grid-sell inverter, 3 small/low quality LFP batteries in series, 3 12V chargers, and relay-based smart outlets. The smart outlets sequence the battery chargers and the GTIL2 on a schedule: charge 9am-4pm (off-peak), dump the ~0.4kWh 5pm-7pm (peak TOU).

So far this is working well and saving me $$$$$$, somewhere about $0.20 per day :cool:

I'm looking to scale up to 4kWh/day using a 48V rack style battery; a higher amperage charger; and a Raspberry Pi monitoring both solar production (Enphase grid tie) and main panel usage (current taps) to control the charger & modulate GTIL2 production.

I'm concerned that using relays or contactors to abruptly cut power on a daily basis might damage the charger.
Am I overthinking things? Anyone with experience doing so?

Otherwise, can anyone recommend a charger controllable via dry-pair contact, CAN, modbus, etc. in the $200-$400 range?

Or, should I bite the bullet and buy an AIO for use only as a charger and maybe occasionally as an inverter? (Beyond cost I’m worried about quiescent power consumption of the idle mppt and or inverter. )

Last edited:
Back