diy solar

diy solar

48v LiFePO4 build

JoeHam

Solar Wizard
For my application I wanted to build a semi-portable system capable of running a 1500w Inverter. Most parts are on the way so here I go.

This is also a "proof of concept" thing for me and if I do a second, non-portable install down the road I could easily use the same devices powered by some 280 Ah XUBA cells for either more autonomy or to increase my AC load capability (with a bigger inverter).

The solar panel feed for the system is constantly changing for me so I will ignore the panel part of the system. Here is the rest:

16 Fortune 60Ah 3.2v cells. Again, I think this could easily be scaled up with higher Ah cells.

A genuine Bussman 285 series 100 amp breaker. This will also serve as my disconnect switch.

Victron SmartSolar 100/20 48v SCC. After spending countless hours poring over manuals on "off brand" SCC (and having bought/used some of them) the guys/gals on the forum finally convinced me of the value here. Add in native BlueTooth and at less than $170 the total value can't be beat IMHO.

Chargery 16t BMS. In another thread I considered going without a BMS for new, matched cells but I did want cell level monitoring and finally decided to go with this BMS. It adds about 14% to the battery cost but I choose to view it as a "one time premium" insurance cost. In addition I won't have to watch my monitors as closely and will likely use a bit more of the battery capacity due to the added protection.

Reliable Power 1500w Pure Sine inverter. This item actually cost less than the BMS or SCC and I know some folks do not like an "off brand" like this. I wanted to save some cash somewhere and this looked like the best place to do it. I have used the 48v, 3KW bigger brother of this one for years without trouble so decided to save some cash on the inverter.

All parts should be in my hands by the weekend and I will post my progress as it happens.

For my application I wanted to build a semi-portable system capable of running a 1500w Inverter. Most parts are on the way so here I go.

This is also a "proof of concept" thing for me and if I do a second, non-portable install down the road I could easily use the same devices powered by some 280 Ah XUBA cells for either more autonomy or to increase my AC load capability (with a bigger inverter).

The solar panel feed for the system is constantly changing for me so I will ignore the panel part of the system. Here is the rest:

16 Fortune 60Ah 3.2v cells. Again, I think this could easily be scaled up with higher Ah cells.

A genuine Bussman 285 series 100 amp breaker. This will also serve as my disconnect switch.

Victron SmartSolar 100/20 48v SCC. After spending countless hours poring over manuals on "off brand" SCC (and having bought/used some of them) the guys/gals on the forum finally convinced me of the value here. Add in native BlueTooth and at less than $170 the total value can't be beat IMHO.

Chargery 16t BMS. In another thread I considered going without a BMS for new, matched cells but I did want cell level monitoring and finally decided to go with this BMS. It adds about 14% to the battery cost but I choose to view it as a "one time premium" insurance cost. In addition I won't have to watch my monitors as closely and will likely use a bit more of the battery capacity due to the added protection.

Reliable Power 1500w Pure Sine inverter. This item actually cost less than the BMS or SCC and I know some folks do not like an "off brand" like this. I wanted to save some cash somewhere and this looked like the best place to do it. I have used the 48v, 3KW bigger brother of this one for years without trouble so decided to save some cash on the inverter.

All parts should be in my hands by the weekend and I will post my progress as it happens.
Keep in mind, these are automotive breakers... many are only rated for 30 or 42V... some are 48V, and lithium is 58V...

That's why I specified the 285 series, good for 48v.

The 185 series is limited to 42 volts.

48 volt lifepo4 batteries can charge at up to 58.4 volts.
You don't mention a shunt or hall sensor.

48 volt lifepo4 batteries can charge at up to 58.4 volts.
You don't mention a shunt or hall sensor.

Good point about charge voltage although I probably won’t go all the way to 3.65v per cell I will be over the 48v spec.

For my needs I only wanted to monitor cell voltage but I think the Chargery unit is going to add a current shunt as part of the package. I will probably live at under .5c discharge and .2c charging so measuring current is a low priority for me, but nice to have.

Well I ordered my Fortune 60Ah cells on Monday at closing time and they arrived this morning! Talk about fast.

All 16 cells range from 3.294v - 3.296v so I'm not sure I will bother with paralleling them now. They also shipped busbars and nyloc nuts for the beefy M8 terminals.

Looking to arrange them in the 16s "square" configuration to fit a milk crate type rolling box.

im building a sys for a pontoon boat what did the 16s square configuration cost and where would i buy them thanks smitty

These are the Fortune brand Will did a video on. Electriccarpartscompany.com is their website.

16 of the 60Ah cells with busbars plus shipping, CC fee etc. total cost was $1299 to my door.

Well I ordered my Fortune 60Ah cells on Monday at closing time and they arrived this morning! Talk about fast.

All 16 cells range from 3.294v - 3.296v so I'm not sure I will bother with paralleling them now. They also shipped busbars and nyloc nuts for the beefy M8 terminals.

Looking to arrange them in the 16s "square" configuration to fit a milk crate type rolling box.
If you don't parallel them, keep a close eye on them as they start to fill up. See if any of them jump ahead of the rest. If they do, then Parallel them to finish the pack off. I'd be watching them close the 1st time at about 55V.

Chargery BMS ordered Wednesday, arrived today. ?

The Bussman breaker from Amazon was the first thing ordered and looks like the last thing to arrive as they pushed delivery into next week now. ?

Build update: I’m waiting on some 3/8 inch ring terminals for the 24g BMS wires. Always some small part to halt progress.

Meanwhile the cells are paralleled for a few days to equalize that massive 0.002v differential. ?

Build update: I’m waiting on some 3/8 inch ring terminals for the 24g BMS wires. Always some small part to halt progress.

Meanwhile the cells are paralleled for a few days to equalize that massive 0.002v differential. ?
I ordered this set, it's all ring terminals and has decent amount of the sizes needed for building batteries.
A lot of other sets are a mix of types of terminals....

For the tiny BMS wires. I stripped twice the length needed for the terminals and doubled the wire back on itself.
I think it fills the terminal and gives a better crimp that way..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E3RTTHU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doing the same here with doubled back wire but the huge 3/8 inch terminals on the fortune cells surprised me a bit.

Ring Terminals should be here Friday and then I can start charging. I have followed your thread on how long that will take to get over the charge voltage knee. Learning some patience here!

Doing the same here with doubled back wire but the huge 3/8 inch terminals on the fortune cells surprised me a bit.

Ring Terminals should be here Friday and then I can start charging. I have followed your thread on how long that will take to get over the charge voltage knee. Learning some patience here!
Will has talked about the terminals. They're M10 in metric bolt sizes and you can safely use a impact driver on them. I'd love to have them on my 280AH cells.

Back