diy solar

diy solar

48v mobile set up

K6NGN

Hello to this group as I am new to solar. I am preparing to set up a Ford E350 van as a combo, communications vehicle as well as a part time camper. My main reason for a 48v set up is I have amplifiers for ham radio that use 48vdc as well as radios that require 12vdc. In the past I have used a 8kw generator to provide power to my DC power supplies, 240vac-48vdc and 120vac-12vdc with lots of noise. I recently was part of a zoom presentation where a fellow ham used 48v in batteries to take the current load of his 48v amp/s and used a small Honda inverter generator to keep the batteries float voltage up off as well as provide a charge. I am thinking of doing the same thing but using solar as well.

The EG4 all in 1 looks like it would fit quite well with my plan. I would use (4) Odyssey ODX-AGM31M batteries as that is what I have currently, later changing to LiFePO4 batteries. The inverter would handle all my AC needs (laptop, rotator, possible 120ac-12vdc power supply, (might be more efficient to use a DC to DC converter). My question is what would be the best panels for the top of the van? It would be a blank slate and this is an extended E350 van so a bit of room for panels.

I do not need to 100% rely on solar panels as I will use a small (quiet) generator as well, acting as shore power whenever needed. The occasional camping would include a ICECO VL60 (or similar) minimal lighting that could be 48vdc, I am still looking into this.

The loads I would be using are still a bit of a mystery as this is new setup for me and receiving radio takes only a fraction of power vs. transmitting with 1000 watts of power intermittently. I will look into this power consumption more.

The last question only radio operators would know is if there is equipment/panels I should stay away from due to RFI.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jamie

Last edited:
I have tried all the combinations but finally settled on 48V with inverter to run my amplifier etc. and a 12V LiFePO4 to run 12V stuff.

100 Ah LiFePO4 in 12V are available for under $400. That will easily run 100W rig for a contest weekend. 48V to 12V buck converters waste too much power.

Solar panels are a commodity item. Just watch your cost per watt. I have paid as little as 14 cents per watt for used and I am currently waiting for some new panels at 53 cents per watt from Amazon.

Genasun makes an RFI quiet MPPT, all the rest will make a racket.

Pick up a bunch of Mix 31 or Mix 43 toroids depending on your bands of operation, and plan to choke every wire coming in/out of inverters and SCC.

Samlex and Cotek are the least noisy inverters I have found.

And, welcome to the forum !

Thanks for your input Joe! Have you tried the EG4 all in 1 as far as noise? I will defiantly check out Genasun MPPT. Is it worth trying/using 200 watt panels vs. 100 in your opinion? LiFePO4 are in the future, I have the AGM's available now for $0 cost.

Yes toroid's are a must especially with digital. I will look at both Samlex and Cotek inverters.

Jamie

I would try for 200W ones but whatever fits your van roof is probably going to make the decision.

I have no experience with any AIO (all in one).

Back