diy solar

diy solar

48v MPP or Growatt AIO with 48v silverfish ebike battery

JoshuaG

Hello!

I'm a beginner so I apologize if it shows with my question. I've searched the forums and couldn't find an answer.

I just purchased a 48v eBike that uses a silverfish style battery and thought it would be neat to have multiple spare batteries for the bike that also power an all-in-one like the Growatt 48V SPF 3000TL LVM or the MPP PIP 3048LV-MK 48V. As far as I know, the silverfish form factor batteries contain their own BMS, so I should be able to replicate Will's EB240 milk crate build with this setup correct?

I've re-watched Will's beginner videos multiple times and will continue to do so (along with other educational materials), but wanted to verify I was thinking about this correctly.

Thanks,
Joshua

The only problem I can think of is if you tried to put these silverfish in parallel on the AIO and they or their BMS’ didn’t play nice. Other than that it’s a good idea!

The only problem I can think of is if you tried to put these silverfish in parallel on the AIO and they or their BMS’ didn’t play nice. Other than that it’s a good idea!
Thanks! I'm not sure if I'll even need something like a AIO or not, but it's good to know it's an option.

Thanks! I'm not sure if I'll even need something like a AIO or not, but it's good to know it's an option.
Be careful. Ebike batteries tend to charge around 2amps, and their BMS may have limits. My all in one MPP Solar inverter charge defaults to 120amps, which would fry that battery. You can limit both charge and discharge, but that should be setup first before you destroy your ebike battery. I just ordered an ebike also, and have been searching for a good BMS with high amp limits. Most 18650's are 10-15 amps though. I may use 21700's.

I use these in 20 or 25 Ah to run 3 Kw inverters, charged only by solar as it’s two different off grid applications.

Easier form factor to work with and may be cheaper on Ali but I like the US based seller. Won’t fit your ebike though ☹️

Are you sure the Silverfish is LiFePO4 ? I wouldn’t want to use Li-Ion with an AIO.

Last edited:
Low output power, low rate charging, probably over-rated specs and poor quality battery cells. Fine for a bike battery if you don't have high expectations about life of the battery (or maybe your life if it decides to catch fire while charging) but to power an inverter I'd stay away.

Back