diy solar

diy solar

48v Nissan leaf battery

fp50

Need advice how to best integrate the 48v Nissan leaf battery into my system.
currently have.
8 x 250w panels
4 x victron 100/50 mppt charge controllers

You only need a single charge controller for that array and a 48V battery, 2000/48 = 41.67A.

You need to thoroughly educate yourself about the dangers of running NMC chemistry (toxic electrolyte, fire and explosion risk) and become your own expert at battery management. You will need a robust BMS.

The vast majority of folks here use LFP, and most BMS referenced on this site are using BMS that only support LFP.

A friend has this BMS setup on his Leaf battery/Victron based system:

You'll need to read the manual and completely understand how to implement it.

I ran Leaf Modules for several years. Each module is two groups of cells in series. The modules are nominally 8 volts. At one time i was using 54 of them. When you say 48 v Nissan Leaf Battery is it 6 modules or module groups in parallel?

Thanks for the advice
I bought the battery off eBay
It come with a 14s BMS
My next question is what's the right inverter to buy?

48v inverter are expensive
Should I buy one that suits the battery or are they all the same?

48v inverter are expensive
Should I buy one that suits the battery or are they all the same?
There are many sizes that work with that battery. As @MisterSandals suggested a budget is a good place to start. Perhaps to zero in on a budget some idea of how you will be using it would be a way to figure out the size. In other words what kind of loads are you going to run?

The inverter would have to be 3000w
To support the house when the grid goes down.
Also looking into a automatic transfer switch.

The inverter would have to be 3000w
To support the house when the grid goes down.
Also looking into a automatic transfer switch.
Many good hybrid inverters contain a built in transfer switch. Is this going to be grid tied? I personally would not connect anything to my home wiring that was not UL 1741 certified so you could start there. I use an Outback Skybox. It may be larger than you need at 5000 Watts

How can I wire 8 250w panels into charge controller.
The panels panels are joined together in pairs.
with a cable going back to charge controller.
for each set of 4.
Is there a better way of doing this?

Each panels voc is 37.2
SCC I have 4 victron 100/50
You should have your pairs in series (connect + of one panel to - of the other).
Then get a 4:1 combiner so the 4 pairs are in parallel.
This will proved 2x your Voc and 4x your Isc (max amps) to your SCC). Make sure your wiring can handle the amps.

The calculator is handy
It said I could use 4mm aluminium
as my panels are only 15 meters away from the CC

currently have.
8 x 250w panels
4 x victron 100/50
I just finished my 12p x 14s Nissan Leaf gen 1, 25 kwh pack (84 modules). I bought them from Green Tech Auto. Each was shipped well packed and tested for an which was listed on each module. They shipped them as 42-43 ah. I replaced an old leaf acid electric forklift battery. I built the "fire resistant cabinet lined with 1/4" cement board and sealed tight with the doors closed. The pack is working wonderfully and lives up to its rating as I can bleed off 1kw for over 24 hrs. I have also noticed that the MPPT charge controllers run quieter and cooler than with the lead acid for some reason. I have 5kw of panels charging them full in less than a day. I may add another pack like this in the future. For now I don't see a need for a charge controller ad the 12p keeps everything spot on.

Attachments

• 20210321_131144.jpg
    20210321_131144.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 13
Back