diy solar

diy solar

48v panel, 12v battery and 12/24v victron charger what to upgrade?

Paul standen

Hi there,

So a long time ago (3 years ago) I bought a victron mppt 75 / 10 12v/24v solar charge controller, a 105ah 12v lithium leisure battery and a 100w eco worthy solar panel.

During testing with a 12v pure sine wave inverter powering a mini fridge I got 3/4 days of mini fridge power before it started to warn me of low voltage.

I wanted this system to be able to run the mini fridge and more for 4 days for a long weekend capable off grid caravan project and upgraded the panel to a 310w eging 48v panel and connected everything up.

(I know this is residential solar... I'm getting to the point now)

Upon testing the upgraded system I found I got just 2 days power to the mini fridge under the same conditions including making sure the battery was full before beginning ect and we was still in a 2 week heatwave so weather and sun conditions the same.

I abandoned the caravan project in the end due to other issues (infestation of damp to living area via badly sealed roof)

Now I want to use what I have and make some power for at home with a view to being able to expand the system to suit my energy requirements in the future (want to crypto mine and save some money on electric)

So with a 12v inverter, a 12v/24v mppt solar controller and the 48 volt solar panel what am I best to upgrade??? And on a budget without stopping myself from upgrading easily as money allows?

I'm thinking I need a grid tie inverter so what I don't produce can come from the grid and to add some additional batteries wired up as a 48v battery pack but I see the prices of these devices range from £100 to ridiculous prices more than advertised prices for a professional install.

In the UK we have to have an mcs approved contractor install the grid tie inverter. It would be nice to get the right gear together over the course of a few months and then ring an installer to save money.

Any advice would be appreciated so I don't make mistakes in purchasing that will bite me in the future and cost me money to upgrade ect when I add more panels.

I tried to work out how to add wind too as the UK is quite windy and I have the perfect spot for a small windmill in my garden thats exposed to wind on a wide angle next to a field. Think that's an extra charge controller or the stupidly priced hybrid units with built in inverters ect.

Back