diy solar

diy solar

48v parallel series or 48v series parallel that is the question

IMG_20210307_073429443.jpgbecause this is so typical.. but which is really the best way
My purpose behind this post is to see what ppl believe is the best way for this bank to wire for efficiency and longevity.. I believe this way of wiring will improve over all charge and drain for the batteries. I believe this way of wiring makes all the batteries act as one giant battery versus 4 sets of batteries.. any ideas?

picture 2 is probably more typical, 4s4p. It also lets you fuse each string separately, if desired.
Not sure if paralleling each group of 4 provides a benefit, 4p4s. It might let you measure that one battery was getting bad. But it might let one get out of balance more easily. Little current should flow between them; you could use skinny wires and have a connector, so you can isolate for measurements.

But neither is balanced. With just two parallel strings, you can connect inverter to opposite corners (positive of one string, negative of the other), and each battery will deliver exactly the same current.

With 4 strings, there is a clever way to first connect 2 strings in parallel, then connect second 2 strings in parallel, then connect the two pairs in parallel by opposite corners. Then connect inverter, such that all strings supply current equally.

picture 2 is probably more typical, 4s4p. It also lets you fuse each string separately, if desired.
Not sure if paralleling each group of 4 provides a benefit, 4p4s. It might let you measure that one battery was getting bad. But it might let one get out of balance more easily. Little current should flow between them; you could use skinny wires and have a connector, so you can isolate for measurements.

But neither is balanced. With just two parallel strings, you can connect inverter to opposite corners (positive of one string, negative of the other), and each battery will deliver exactly the same current.

With 4 strings, there is a clever way to first connect 2 strings in parallel, then connect second 2 strings in parallel, then connect the two pairs in parallel by opposite corners. Then connect inverter, such that all strings supply current equally.
Picture 2 I'm pulling from top right positive and my negative is going to the bottom left.

Picture 1 I'm pulling from top left negative down threw a 4p to series up into a 4p to series down a 4p then series back up a 4p to top right positive

In picture 1 I'm basically starting from the top left and Going down the bank then jumping over to the right then traveling up then jumping to the next to go down then obviously back up the right to to the top right positive

Last edited:
Back