diy solar

diy solar

48v question

SaltViking

Hello everybody, I’m really excited to be here on this forum. After watching way too many YouTube videos I found this forum. I have a question about 48V systems.

I am looking at building a off-grid system and currently looking at the batteries. I believe I will be going with a 48v system but I am curious about something.

I found a 12V server rack battery with 300AH for $1500 and a 48v 100ah for $1500.

Would it be ideal to buy 8- 12v 300ah batteries and wire them in series & parallel to achieve 48v circuit with more amp hours vs a parallel string of 48v batteries?

You have a nice cost saving if you got for the 48V
You need to use equal length cables and have the negative on the opposite side of the bank.
Using proper busbar to connect all batteries is best with big parallel system.

I found a 12V server rack battery with 300AH for $1500 and a 48v 100ah for $1500.

As @upnorthandpersonal said that 48v is a bigger battery

Would it be ideal to buy 8- 12v 300ah batteries and wire them in series & parallel to achieve 48v circuit with more amp hours vs a parallel string of 48v batteries?

Parallel string of 48v batteries would be better for a novice user, we'll really it's just all around better

12V @300Ah = 3.6kWh and 48V @100Ah = 4.8kWh. Stop looking at the Amp Hour rating - it tells you nothing when comparing systems at different voltages. Use the Wh (kWh) to compare energy stored: multiply the Ah rating with the nominal voltage of the battery.
That’s exactly the response I was looking for!
Thank you.

Parallel string of 48v batteries would be better for a novice user, we'll really it's just all around

Parallel string of 48v batteries would be better for a novice user, we'll really it's just all around better
Thanks for the response.
@upnorthandpersonal gave me exactly what I was looking for.

I am not totally new to electrical just to DC batteries and solar.
I wired automation systems for a living for over 10 years but that was 220vac 120vac and 24vac.
Had quite a bit of time dealing with 440vac 3 phase VFD’s but that’s going in a totally different direction.

I have really enjoyed reading other threads on this forum. I have a lot to learn.

Back