diy solar

diy solar

48V Server rack battery price comparison.

FilterGuy

Solar Engineering Consultant - EG4 and Consumers
After Will's review of the Trophy server rack batteries, I looked up US pricing on several different 48V server rack batteries.
Edit: Corrected it to Wh (Not KWh)
  1. EG4 LiFePower4 48V 100Ah5.12KWH (Feb 13 '22: $1499 + shipping - $0.29/Wh)
  2. Jackiper 48V 100Ah5.12KWH (Feb 13 '22: $1699 + shipping – $0.33/Wh)
  3. SOK 48V 100Ah 5.12KWH (Feb 13 '22: $1739 + shipping - $0.34/Wh)
  4. Trophy 48V 110Ah 5.63 KWH (Feb 13 '22: $1895 + shipping – $0.34/Wh)
  5. Trophy 48V 220Ah 11.26KW (Feb 13 '22: 2/13/22 - $3395 + shipping - $030/Wh) (Very big & Heavy)
Things can change so I dated the pricing

From the @Will Prowse reviews, none of these batteries seem to be bad quality. Some might be marginally better but it did not seem like you would go wrong with any of them.

When you consider this is with the Matched Grade A cells, BMS, Case, breaker, a 4LED SOC indicator and coms ports, these prices are pretty impressive. (All but the LiFePOWER4 have a full display. In addition the Trophy Batteries have internal heaters). Furthermore, the competition is heavy so we can probably expect to see even better pricing in the future.

It really does make me think twice about building my own battery.

Last edited:
After Will's review of the Trophy server rack batteries, I looked up US pricing on several different 48V server rack batteries.

1. EG4 LiFePower4 48V 100Ah5.12KWH (Feb 13 '22: $1499 + shipping - $0.29/KWh)
  2. Jackiper 48V 100Ah5.12KWH (Feb 13 '22: $1699 + shipping – $0.33/KWh)
  3. SOK 48V 100Ah 5.12KWH (Feb 13 '22: $1739 + shipping - $0.34/KWh)
  4. Trophy 48V 110Ah 5.63 KWH (Feb 13 '22: $1895 + shipping – $0.34/KWh)
  5. Trophy 48V 220Ah 11.26KW (Feb 13 '22: 2/13/22 - $3395 + shipping - $030/KWh) (Very big & Heavy)
Things can change so I dated the pricing

From the @Will Prowse reviews, none of these batteries seem to be bad quality. Some might be marginally better but it did not seem like you would go wrong with any of them.

When you consider this is with the Matched Grade A cells, BMS, Case, breaker, and a 4LED SOC indicator and coms ports, these prices are pretty impressive. Furthermore, the competition is heavy so we can probably expect to see even better pricing in the future.

It really does make me think twice about building my own battery.
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/future-of-diy-lifepo4-looks-bleak….32157/

And then there’s this one. :

I only listed the ones I have seen good reviews on. I would love to see @Will Prowse review the OSM. That price is amazing. 1100 for 5.12KWh - $0.22/Wh
That is only 76% of the LiFePOWER4 with the same specs.

Those terminals look like some kind of custom plug.... that might increase the effective cost of the battery.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if these various server rack type batteries with prismatic cells would be suitable for use in an RV or van? More specifically my 4x4 sprinter van which I do take off road occasionally… so the batteries may experience some vibration etc. I would cushion their installation with some type of insulating closed cell foam.

Opinions?

I’m wondering if these various server rack type batteries with prismatic cells would be suitable for use in an RV or van? More specifically my 4x4 sprinter van which I do take off road occasionally… so the batteries may experience some vibration etc. I would cushion their installation with some type of insulating closed cell foam.

Opinions?
I really don't know but.....

A while back people on the forum were saying that prismatic cells > 200Ah are not suitable for mobile applications. These batteries all of cells of less than 200Ah so maybe they would be fine.

In Wills reviews it looks like some of the batteries did a slightly better job of securing the internal wires than others and some secured the cells better than others. If you decide to go for it you might want to select the battery based how well things inside the battery are secured and/or cushioned.

One very important point is missing: BMS inverter compatibility.

What is the first everyone asks ?
- Is this Pylontech compatible ?

Because most of the all-in-one and hybrid inverters are.
Or if not then which inverter can communicate with it ?

If you buy complete battery then you do not want to play with external toys ... like a RasPi to translate the battery BMS messages to inverter compatible format.
Just connect it to inverter and ready.

That is the best price/KWh I see on their site, but some of their other batteries look very competitive and interesting. If anyone has any of their product, let us know the quality.
Yeah, 5.1kWh for $1100 is a new low-water mark for OTS US-based LiFePO batteries ($0.215/kWh).

The 50Ah 48V rack-mount isn’t quite as cheap in terms of $/kWh, but for anyone only needing 2.6kWh, it’s a new record for $600 as well ($0.232/kWh): https://osmbattery.com/products/19-rack-mount-li-ion-battery-3u-module-48v-50ah/

Very curious to understand how the quality of these measures up against the Signature Solar EG4…

I would also like to see reviews on the 9KWh Nruit battery that Amy is selling for $1698. ($0.19/ KWH) It is a wall mount instead of server-rack but it is still very interesting.

I would also like to see reviews on the 9KWh Nruit battery that Amy is selling for $1698. ($0.19/ KWH) It is a wall mount instead of server-rack but it is still very interesting.

I had assumed the GSM battery you linked to was a US-based vendor but looks like these are shipping from China.

So until they get some US stock available, not really an apples-to-apples comparison against outfits like Signatire Solar or SOL…

$0.19/kWh is great but is the Nruit battery being stocked in US or shipping by the unit from China? (through Amy or however?)

One very important point is missing: BMS inverter compatibility.

What is the first everyone asks ?
- Is this Pylontech compatible ?

Because most of the all-in-one and hybrid inverters are.
Or if not then which inverter can communicate with it ?

If you buy complete battery then you do not want to play with external toys ... like a RasPi to translate the battery BMS messages to inverter compatible format.
Just connect it to inverter and ready.
I don't find inverter compatibility (or lack of it) a problem.

I had assumed the GSM battery you linked to was a US-based vendor but looks like these are shipping from China.

So until they get some US stock available, not really an apples-to-apples comparison against outfits like Signatire Solar or SOL…

$0.19/kWh is great but is the Nruit battery being stocked in US or shipping by the unit from China? (through Amy or however?)
True.... I was just looking at that and could not find an estimated shipping cost.

One thing though: I did not list shipping costs for the other batteries either. Furthermore, I can never predict shipping costs from China vs domestic. Sometimes the shipping from china is not that bad.... and sometimes it is horrible. If @Will Prowse gave a favorable review of the battery, I would at least check on the total cost to my door.

I only listed the ones I have seen good reviews on. I would love to see @Will Prowse review the OSM. That price is amazing. 1100 for 5.12KWh - $0.22/KWh
That is only 76% of the LiFePOWER4 with the same specs.

Those terminals look like some kind of custom plug.... that might increase the effective cost of the battery.

Careful, that's a 2P15S pack, not 16 - so it's 4.8kWh not 5.12kWh.

I searched to find a post about Amy offering to sell the Nruit batteries but couldn’t find anything. Do you have a link to the thread where that is being discussed?

I searched to find a post about Amy offering to sell the Nruit batteries but couldn’t find anything. Do you have a link to the thread where that is being discussed?

Back