diy solar

diy solar

48V Server rack battery price comparison.

Curious what they charged you for shipping, I was recently quoted $712 for 2 of those to WA.
For both it was US$320 to northern NSW. About A$450.

I spoke with a few suppliers and the shipping was quite variable.

Neither the shipping nor total cost was my deciding factor.

Shenzen Basen was a moderately painful sales experience. Mistakes with the technical parameters in the listing meant we spend ages unravelling crossed wires, over 2 days of back and forth which really should have taken minutes.

Docan's listed battery spec was not as good as the salesperson's claims, and it had a lower rated continuous output than the Tycorun option.

Tycorun's salesperson was efficient and was able to answer basic technical parameter questions quickly. Their claimed delivery time was also much quicker.

Whether it all turns out to be an OK experience and a good product, who the hell knows? My expectations are that I'm playing the lottery and have bought a pretty expensive ticket.

Why are none of these server rack batteries listed on the California solar equipment list? I see the EVE LF280K cells themselves are actually listed but not any of the rack batteries. Looks like you need to have an approved UL 1973 certificate which I thought the EG4 battery did have.

Tycorun's salesperson was efficient and was able to answer basic technical parameter questions quickly. Their claimed delivery time was also much quicker.

Whether it all turns out to be an OK experience and a good product, who the hell knows? My expectations are that I'm playing the lottery and have bought a pretty expensive ticket.
Tycorun was on top of the communication game. Basen seem okay but the more recent, flakey reviews of the raw cells kept me from going with them, ATTM.

Tycorun had a 200ah already in the States, NV I think. Don't want a 200ah for testing but I will revisit them again, just got busy doing other stuff.

That's a good shipping rate to your place but that may be typical for your location. Coming to USA, we are currently paying top dollar for shipping these days.

Both places did forward the specs and manuals right up front so I could see the bottom line for theoretical performance. Yeah, theoretical because I agree, lottery ticket. Or as Forest Gump said, "like a box of chocolates, yo never know what you are going to get".

Hope it goes well!

Tycorun had a 200ah already in the States

I did consider the 200 Ah option, however it has the same discharge rate limit (100 A) as the 100 Ah unit. I wanted to have a little headroom on that front*, so in the end I went for 2 x 100 Ah units.

At 98 kg the 200 Ah is also bloody heavy! The 100 Ah units are 52 kg. My existing SLA batteries are 60 kg each so I have a fair idea what they are like to lug.

One thing I haven't checked is whether they can be used in an upright position, with the terminals and control panel at the top. That would suit the layout of my set up better but I won't do that if it is not a good idea. I'm not sure which way the cells are arranged internally.

* I don't need that level of discharge at this time however I am considering a future upgrade of the system to be capable of supplying 6 kW on the AC output side.

I did consider the 200 Ah option, however it has the same discharge rate limit (100 A) as the 100 Ah unit. I wanted to have a little headroom on that front*, so in the end I went for 2 x 100 Ah units.

At 98 kg the 200 Ah is also bloody heavy! The 100 Ah units are 52 kg. My existing SLA batteries are 60 kg each so I have a fair idea what they are like to lug.

One thing I haven't checked is whether they can be used in an upright position, with the terminals and control panel at the top. That would suit the layout of my set up better but I won't do that if it is not a good idea. I'm not sure which way the cells are arranged internally.
Heavy for sure.

The 2 100ah's you got, much better deal I think. Redundancy is nice over the one 200ah.

The position, good question. Was just recently reading on the orientation of the cells. Seems to be a couple of opinions.

* I don't need that level of discharge at this time however I am considering a future upgrade of the system to be capable of supplying 6 kW on the AC output side.
I just had to move my 120kg battery into the garage a couple weeks ago. One of my biceps was feeling it for a couple days after that lol.

That thread has been disappeared.

I ordered a big Lanni 48V battery (300Ah) for about $250/kWh with the Bluetooth BMS upgrade. I'm hoping it's decent quality.
How
I ordered a big Lanni 48V battery (300Ah) for about $250/kWh with the Bluetooth BMS upgrade. I'm hoping it's decent quality.
How did you make out with the lanni? I'm looking to order the 48v 200ah and I can't find reviews or any feedback

How

How did you make out with the lanni? I'm looking to order the 48v 200ah and I can't find reviews or any feedback
On a scale of good to bad I'd give it a "meh". It is advertised as a 300Ah pack but it's actually 280Ah I believe (they told me it uses lishen cells). They definitely didn't top balance the cells because my first capacity test was around 230Ah. After 2 weeks of being hooked up to a charger it still wasn't balanced but I got tired of waiting so I did another capacity test and got 270Ah. Since then I've been using it in my main system and haven't had any issues. The Bluetooth app isn't great (you can't change any parameters) but it is better than nothing. For the price it is acceptable.

I think my Trophy batteries are a very good value considering they have built in heaters. It’s tbd if they work as advertised, however. I’m off grid, and my batteries are in an unheated shed. I have built an super-insulated shroud and 48volt 300 watt heater as a backup heater in case the internal heaters are not enough.
I don’t care what Will ‘I live in Las Vegas’ Prowse says, heating batteries is a thing :)

I think my Trophy batteries are a very good value considering they have built in heaters. It’s tbd if they work as advertised, however. I’m off grid, and my batteries are in an unheated shed. I have built an super-insulated shroud and 48volt 300 watt heater as a backup heater in case the internal heaters are not enough.
I don’t care what Will ‘I live in Las Vegas’ Prowse says, heating batteries is a thing :)
I superinsulated my 8-foot x 8-foot x 8-foot off-grid solar power shed. it houses all the lifepo4 cells and solar charge controllers and is running 3 low-frequency inverters(6k, 8K, and 15K,) (plus a 6kLF inverter on standby)... so on the coldest winter days of 25 to 30 degrees below zero Fahrenheit >>> a 100 watt light bulb running off the inverter kept the shed to 55 degrees... no grid connection what so ever....
most of the time the light bulb is not even necessary but is the safety for the supercold overnight temperatures...in dead of winter....i am off-grid in South Dakota....
I will add a bit more insulation this fall to seal it more.... I think insulation will help the most....
the inverters put out a fair amount of waste heat....likely somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 to 800 watts each or more under heavy loads>>>I have no way to measure this waste heat, but it is a fact of operating the Low-frequency electrical inverters??
freezing temperatures were my main concern 1st,,,,
now the big concern is getting rid of the excess inverter waste heat in the summertime...
need to air-condition to 72 degrees for happy battery and component lifespan....
the heat is hard on the inverter performance and lifepo4 doesn't care for the extra heat either...

I superinsulated my 8-foot x 8-foot x 8-foot off-grid solar power shed. it houses all the lifepo4 cells and solar charge controllers and is running 3 low-frequency inverters(6k, 8K, and 15K,) (plus a 6kLF inverter on standby)... so on the coldest winter days of 25 to 30 degrees below zero Fahrenheit >>> a 100 watt light bulb running off the inverter kept the shed to 55 degrees... no grid connection what so ever....
most of the time the light bulb is not even necessary but is the safety for the supercold overnight temperatures...in dead of winter....i am off-grid in South Dakota....
I will add a bit more insulation this fall to seal it more.... I think insulation will help the most....
the inverters put out a fair amount of waste heat....likely somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 to 800 watts each or more under heavy loads>>>I have no way to measure this waste heat, but it is a fact of operating the Low-frequency electrical inverters??
freezing temperatures were my main concern 1st,,,,
now the big concern is getting rid of the excess inverter waste heat in the summertime...
need to air-condition to 72 degrees for happy battery and component lifespan....
the heat is hard on the inverter performance and lifepo4 doesn't care for the extra heat either...
My shed is 14x18 with a high ceiling, so I built a partition around the batteries and inverter that I can remove in the warmer months. I get regular long stretches of -20F. I installed a Mr. Cool 12K in the shed and it has been fantastic so far this summer. It just sips watts. I keep it at 80 degrees. When it's running, which is rare so far, it uses about 250 watts. When it starts it peaks around 900 watts for about 20 minutes or so and then settles down. Took me just about an hour and half to install myself.

Back