diy solar

diy solar

4s bms with LCD screen for trolling motor?

steve_bc

Looking for a 4s bms with a LCD screen to show me the amps drawn/soc. I am going to be using it with some 100-125 Ah cells for a trolling motor on a canoe. Because of that I don't always want to get my cell phone out when checking the state of charge. Bluetooth is good for programing, not necessarily a windy day on the water.

I have an ant BMS with LCD screen for my 8s pack at the cottage. But it's not available in 4s.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

If it where me, and I've thought about doing this for my fathers boat, I would put a Victron 712 with the battery pack. It has it's own display and is probably the most accurate way to keep track of the soc. The reason I say build it into the battery pack is he never leaves the battery in the boat. Always removes from the boat for charging and storage.

If it where me, and I've thought about doing this for my fathers boat, I would put a Victron 712 with the battery pack. It has it's own display and is probably the most accurate way to keep track of the soc. The reason I say build it into the battery pack is he never leaves the battery in the boat. Always removes from the boat for charging and storage.
The 712 is a little expensive for my application. But I get your idea of just using a standalone shunt and display for this purpose.

No expert here but I think the $40 shunt battery monitor will work with any bms. After you fish a few days you will know how much time you have. Probably all day or two no problem.

No expert here but I think the $40 shunt battery monitor will work with any bms. After you fish a few days you will know how much time you have. Probably all day or two no problem.
Yah that's what I was thinking. I could also skip the BMS altogether and just use a rc battery charger with a balancing port built in (the kind of charger used for diy drones/airplanes). Just have the balancing cables routed out to connect to the charger when charging.

In allegato è lo schermo jbd 4s, lo sto usando ed è validissimo ma, non è possibile programmare i valori come si fa con il bluetooth, Jbd sta per lanciare sul mercato il nuovo bms 200A 4s. Lo vendono senza custodia esterna, se hai bisogno di temporizzare il file .stl che ho progettato per stamparlo con fdm

Attachments

• lcd.jpg
    lcd.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 17
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-05-01 at 17.36.51.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-01 at 17.36.51.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 16
In allegato è lo schermo jbd 4s, lo sto usando ed è validissimo ma, non è possibile programmare i valori come si fa con il bluetooth, Jbd sta per lanciare sul mercato il nuovo bms 200A 4s. Lo vendono senza custodia esterna, se hai bisogno di temporizzare il file .stl che ho progettato per stamparlo con fdm
Google translate from Italian:

Attached is the jbd 4s screen, I am using it and it is very good but, it is not possible to program the values as you do with bluetooth, Jbd is about to launch the new bms 200A 4s on the market. They sell it without external case, if you need to time the .stl file I designed to print it with fdm

I got both the jbd BMS with the screen and Bluetooth module. My plan is to have a latching switch (push button with a blue light) that has normally open (no) and normally closed (NC) contacts. I will use the NC/no to swap the power to either the Bluetooth or screen. When the blue light is on the Bluetooth module will be on. I have another button (same button) also wired to the BMS output switch,but the LED will be wired to the ~12v BMS output so I can turn off the power and the light will turn off.

The buttons I'm using are:
C$ 1.70 35%OFF | 16mm Latching Metal press push button switch self-locked black Momentary reset waterproof LED power symbol ring lamp 1NO1NC

Ho sia il jbd BMS con lo schermo che il modulo Bluetooth. Il mio piano è di avere un interruttore a scatto (pulsante con luce blu) che abbia contatti normalmente aperti (no) e normalmente chiusi (NC). Userò NC / no per scambiare l'alimentazione al Bluetooth o allo schermo. Quando la luce blu è accesa, il modulo Bluetooth sarà acceso. Ho anche un altro pulsante (lo stesso pulsante) collegato all'interruttore di uscita BMS, ma il LED sarà collegato all'uscita BMS ~ 12v in modo da poter spegnere l'alimentazione e la luce si spegnerà.

I pulsanti che sto utilizzando sono:
C $ 1.70 35% DI SCONTO | Interruttore a pulsante a pressione in metallo da 16 mm autobloccante nero Ripristino momentaneo impermeabile LED simbolo di alimentazione lampada ad anello 1NO1NC
[URL unfurl = "true"] https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPOu3LP [/ URL]
Anche io stavo per fare una cosa del genere, l'interruttore taglia solo il cavo positivo dell'alimentatore bt e / o lcd?

I got both the jbd BMS with the screen and Bluetooth module. My plan is to have a latching switch (push button with a blue light) that has normally open (no) and normally closed (NC) contacts. I will use the NC/no to swap the power to either the Bluetooth or screen. When the blue light is on the Bluetooth module will be on. I have another button (same button) also wired to the BMS output switch,but the LED will be wired to the ~12v BMS output so I can turn off the power and the light will turn off.

The buttons I'm using are:
C$ 1.70 35%OFF | 16mm Latching Metal press push button switch self-locked black Momentary reset waterproof LED power symbol ring lamp 1NO1NC
I was also going to do something like that, the switch cuts only the positive cable of the bt and / or lcd power supply? because they have different currents lcd 12v bt takes current from uart and i think it is 5v

@Globo from my understanding the jbd BMS put out 10~12v at the UART and not the standard 5v. In one of the manuals there is a warning about this.

The Bluetooth and LCD must have a 5v regulator on their boards. The latching switches I posted above can do any voltage, although the led light inside the switch has to be matched to the power you feed it. I got some 12v and 5v ones when I ordered them.

Last edited:
@
Can you send me the stl file, post it here or put it on thingiverse to share... I would be interested in it.

the lcd screen is not powered by the uart but has a separate 12v power supply

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-05-02 at 10.35.02.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-02 at 10.35.02.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 7
Back