diy solar

diy solar

5 cu. ft. fridge too much for two 12V/390W batteries?

just to be clear, the inverter terminals I'm checking would be at the input right? or output?
At the input .... the goal would be to compare the readings at the battery terminals to the input of the inverter under load.

I have two 12V 390W batteries connected in series to a 24V 2000W inverter and a 60A charge controller.

If I try turning on my 5 cu. ft. fridge, my inverter will "trip" and start beeping. At least I think it's because of the inverter or maybe it's the charge controller? OR maybe I simply don't have enough batteries/power to withstand the starting draw of the fridge???

PS.... I usually have four wired in series parallel and that handles the fridge fine

The label at the back of the fridge states 115V / 1.5A
Would help to establish wattage of fridge. Mine needed 2800 watts to start but uses only 800 to run. So the inverter size could cause this. Thanks

Would help to establish wattage of fridge. Mine needed 2800 watts to start but uses only 800 to run. So the inverter size could cause this. Thanks
It turns out that the problem wasn't the batteries... it had to be the loose wire I noticed in the breaker box
that was the only thing that I knowingly fixed/changed... later on I tried turning on the fridge again (which, by the way, is about 173 Watts) and it worked just fine... that same panel that had the loose wire (which was causing what I believe to be arcing on the inside when there's a heavy enough load like the microwave), now seems to have an issue with the neutral busbar where it's "bonded" to ground!

Last edited:
Back