diy solar

diy solar

5 KW Daily Cabin Planning

zlamb

I need right at 5 kw daily. After some research I have learned that the worst day in Western KY gets 3.5 hours of sun. Would 2000 watts of solar and 2 200AH 24V LiFePo4 batteries be enough, what would be a good all in one unit for me, and are the used 250 watt panels for $50 from Santansolar.com worth it with the high shipping cost?

I would encourage you to use link #6 in my signature. You can specify an exact PV system, and lat/long. You can download HOURLY solar data. You can then look to see how many days your array fails to deliver the needed 5kWh. It's really easy to look at the "hours per day" and be pretty confident, but that's just an average.

As far as "average" numbers go, your proposed components should fit the 5kWh/day bill.

I would encourage you to use link #6 in my signature. You can specify an exact PV system, and lat/long. You can download HOURLY solar data. You can then look to see how many days your array fails to deliver the needed 5kWh. It's really easy to look at the "hours per day" and be pretty confident, but that's just an average.

As far as "average" numbers go, your proposed components should fit the 5kWh/day bill.
Based on that I should have just enough for the worst month, December and January. Just to make for sure I think I will add a couple 100 watt panels.

Based on that I should have just enough for the worst month, December and January. Just to make for sure I think I will add a couple 100 watt panels.
You will get much better value for your money with the 250W grid-tie panels you mentioned above. Don't try to substitute 100W 12V panels. You'll just end up spending more money to get poorer charging.

You will get much better value for your money with the 250W grid-tie panels you mentioned above. Don't try to substitute 100W 12V panels. You'll just end up spending more money to get poorer charging.
I ended up buying 4 new Seraphim 305W panels for $120 each

Back