diy solar

diy solar

50 Amp RV powered from single 120v inverter or 120v solar generator

keithbar1974

In the case of a 50A RV which has 2 legs of 120v but is not technically split phase. Rather than installing multiple synced inverters or one of the expensive or heavy split phase inverters (Victron Multiplus II x2 or EG4 6000EX-48HV) could I use something like the EG4 6500EX-48 and use an adaptor or wiring that would feed both legs from the 1 inverter. Benefits would be true sharing of the inverter power such as 5000w on one leg and 1500w on the other which in not possible with a duel 3000w inverter. Hope that makes sense. Trying to find a solution for 6K watts of inversion on a 50a RV with one inverter.

Sorta. That's how it works when you plug into 30A power. The 30-50A adapter shorts L1 and L2 on the RV side, so both L1 and L2 get L from the 120VAC input.

One does need to be concerned about the RV wiring and the fact that the RV neutral has the potential to carry 2X the current of the L1 and L2 lines. If you're using 25A on the L1 circuit and 25A on the L2 circuit, your N is at 50A.

It's best to limit yourself to 30A at all times when operating on single phase power.

In the case of a 50A RV which has 2 legs of 120v but is not technically split phase. Rather than installing multiple synced inverters or one of the expensive or heavy split phase inverters (Victron Multiplus II x2 or EG4 6000EX-48HV) could I use something like the EG4 6500EX-48 and use an adaptor or wiring that would feed both legs from the 1 inverter. Benefits would be true sharing of the inverter power such as 5000w on one leg and 1500w on the other which in not possible with a duel 3000w inverter. Hope that makes sense. Trying to find a solution for 6K watts of inversion on a 50a RV with one inverter.
Did you ever find a solution that fits your needs? I have been searching for the same answer. I would love to use the EG4 6500EX-48 but do I need the EG4 6000 to power both legs. Also...I'm not sure why the Victron 12V Multiplus 2 has a spot for Two hot legs but the 48V Multiplus 2 only has room for one hot leg in.

Attachments

• 48v vs. 12v.png
    48v vs. 12v.png
    651.9 KB · Views: 6
Sorta. That's how it works when you plug into 30A power. The 30-50A adapter shorts L1 and L2 on the RV side, so both L1 and L2 get L from the 120VAC input.

One does need to be concerned about the RV wiring and the fact that the RV neutral has the potential to carry 2X the current of the L1 and L2 lines. If you're using 25A on the L1 circuit and 25A on the L2 circuit, your N is at 50A.

It's best to limit yourself to 30A at all times when operating on single phase power.
Actually...
As long as you limit the 120V to 6000W, which would be 50A, it would be perfectly safe to tie the hots to a single inverter.
Since a 50A panel has a 50A neutral, it can handle 50A... 30/20 or 40/10 its still only 50A

Actually...
As long as you limit the 120V to 6000W, which would be 50A, it would be perfectly safe to tie the hots to a single inverter.
Since a 50A panel has a 50A neutral, it can handle 50A... 30/20 or 40/10 its still only 50A
So just to make sure I'm understanding you. I can tie let 1 and 2 together and feed it into the inverter's L1, and won't overload the inverter with too much shore power coming in?

So just to make sure I'm understanding you. I can tie let 1 and 2 together and feed it into the inverter's L1, and won't overload the inverter with too much shore power coming in?
Oh no... if you connect to a 50A shore power outlet, it will be sending 240V split phase to your inverter.
I was responding to sunshine's post that the output of the inverter would be safe tied to a panel that has all hot busbars tied to the 120V output of thw inverter without overloading the neutral conductor in the panel.

The inverter will draw whatever it needs, so if you have 30a of supply, don't try to use an inverter that wants 40a.

If you have a 50a plug on your RV, throw a dogbone in there when you connect it to your 120v inverter and let it do the wire jumping for you.

Last edited:
Back