diy solar

diy solar

50 mph winds tonight

If you look at AMSOLARs website though, they use just VHB on fiberglass and aluminum roofs.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with VHB on those type of roofs. Though I might change my mind on aluminum, which could probably lift, but not anything like EPDM would.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with VHB on those type of roofs. Though I might change my mind on aluminum, which could probably lift, but not anything like EPDM would.
I did lose a panel in Wyoming. It was a day we should not have been driving but had no choice. I am not sure if something came loose to give it more lift but the combination of the 40 mph hour (higher gust?) and the driving speed ripped one of the 4 right off. Tore the EPDM roof. Not a good day. I never knew until we got into the campground for the night. My solar wires were hanging in front of our door.

It's those Wyoming winds that made me spend a lot of time planning my solar panel install. In the end, I was only about 80% sure that each mounting bracket was secured in a roof truss.

So in the rver community, the attachment is sometimes just adhesive and for big panels just 6 or 4 attachments with double screws. Every time we go down the road they are getting 60-70 mile an hour winds.
My 1st solar system was on a RV! During that build I invented THIS. I had drilled holes with the intent of filling them with epoxy to screw into. It worked great. Some holes had some insulation that made filling a lot easier. Thats how I got the idea. I have seen guys use 2 sided tape, Adhesives can be stronger than bolt.
I wouldn't knock VHB tape...
Ha! I should read down the whole thread before answering ;)

VHB on EPDM = Bad Mojo
Yup!
Agreed. Unless you want no rubber roof left, no panels, and some dead people behind you.
Yikes! It has to have happened, thus there is video.
I did lose a panel in Wyoming. It was a day we should not have been driving but had no choice. I am not sure if something came loose to give it more lift but the combination of the 40 mph hour (higher gust?) and the driving speed ripped one of the 4 right off. Tore the EPDM roof. Not a good day. I never knew until we got into the campground for the night. My solar wires were hanging in front of our door.
Holy cow. Thats a nightmare for real. I remember testing my RV pv (just 1). 45mph, pull over get out look. 55mph, pull over, get out look & so on all the way to 80 mph. I had a V10 truck so....

It's those Wyoming winds that made me spend a lot of time planning my solar panel install. In the end, I was only about 80% sure that each mounting bracket was secured in a roof truss.
Did you not have access to the underside of the roof? I use blocks as hitting truss is to hard.

Back