diy solar

diy solar

500ah 48v battery bank new system what would you use

doghouse

30- 280 watt 24v 8,400 Solarworld panels is what I am starting with. Next step is to pick a battery bank.
What would you use? 500ah 48v.

If a house or cabin - yes 48v.
The size of the battery totally depends on your loads - and how many days of reserves you need.

For the batteries- look closely at the Lithium (eve or Lishen) cells discussed on this forum. 32 of those cells will get you a 48v 550ah(or so) battery.

Remember you are the system engineer - you need to make sure everything will work together- meet you needs (system requirements), and do so in a safe manner.

If you share your system requirements we can direct you better.

30- 280 watt 24v 8,400 Solarworld panels is what I am starting with. Next step is to pick a battery bank.
What would you use? 500ah 48v.
I would use the big blue prismatic 280ah cells that are popular here.

280 amp hours * 3.2 volts * 32 cells = 28672 watt hours
28672 watt hours * .8 depth of discharge = 22937.6 watt hours
22937.6 watt hours * .95 snoobler factor = 21790.72 watt hours

A house, for emergency back up about 3500 to 4000 watts everything 120v (no 240) propane heating (hot water/stove/toaster oven).
3 days of reserve in fl with 6hrs of sun at the least (winter) time.

A house, for emergency back up about 3500 to 4000 watts everything 120v (no 240) propane heating (hot water/stove/toaster oven).
3 days of reserve in fl with 6hrs of sun at the least (winter) time.
stove's and hot water heaters are typically 240VAC

I missed that,...32, my bad, and all my heat generation is propane. The only real load is the well pump on start up.

EVE 280Ah 3.2V LiFePO4 Prismatic Batteries so that bank is about $7,000. So close to NiFe bank ordered from China. Which would you use?​

Nickle Iron Edison batteries
I know nothing of nife batteries.
Basically at this point lifepo4 is the default for solar energy storage.
There are niches where other chemistries may be a better choice but those are corner cases.
Said another way I would choose lifepo4 unless there is a specific reason not to.

This is why I'm getting opinions about what others have. The last time I tried solar I used a professional who cost me a bunch of money and the system (which was supposed to be plug n play) never performed at all.
Now I have the chance to start again and I want all the info I can get.
I never even heard of the batteries you mentioned, now I can research them as well.

Back