diy solar

diy solar

50A Shore power neutral to Growatt 6000T?

I also don't understand the lack of data logging while I was pulling my 4kW base load... The app simply showed the 50w "import from grid". I'll attach screenshots.
something is wrong with your monitoring.
If you pull the 4kw on one leg of the inverter - that would probably do that damage you described.

Are all you heaters on one side of the 240V?

Like I said - at least in my manual it's not documented that load + charging is not monitored. So I would send it back and get a replacement.
Install another set of breakers to protect the Growatt and distribute the heaters even on both sides of the inverter.

Think about it - like you bought 2x 3000W side by side, not one 6000w. You can only draw 6000W on 240V but are limited to 2x 3000w in 120v

Thanks so much for the insight! It looks like I'll be installing 2 30A breakers on the input side of the Growatt, or considering a bump up to the 12kW model which seems like a ridiculous amount of overkill for this system. I'm only running this much wattage currently because shore power is significantly cheaper than propane and I'm not having to run out 2x/week to refill propane.

it doesn't look like it was doing much when it had it's error.

I agree completely. It wasn't inverting, there's no solar hooked up, the battery is hanging out at 99%. I have 4 x 1500w space heaters each with individual thermostats. When it gets really cold, they're running about a 50% duty cycle. That morning around 0620, it dropped down to around 5F and the individual thermostats must've kicked on all 4 simultaneously causing the overload and subsequent firework show. Is there a way to tell what damage has been done? Everything *seems* in order, but I don't want to burn this RV to the ground.

Why does it not show the loads on the AC bypass discharge in the screenshot? Is that not what these loads are? Just seems like a pretty poor design unless I'm not understanding something correctly. Is there a "better" system for this sort of application? I'm considering just pulling the trigger on a Victron Quattro setup for about 5x the total cost of this one.

I just need this thing to work reliably. I need full passthrough power when connected to the shore. I'm not sure this is negotiable. While off grid, I need up to, I don't know, 2 x 1800w air conditioners + coffee maker or similar... Call it 5-6kW absolute maximum while off grid. Nearly all of this power is for climate control. I can use propane when off grid in the winter for heat, but in the summer, there's no option but the air conditioners. I'd love to install a mini split system, but that's a topic for another day.

I just saw your 3rd post after I posted my last...

My heaters are split quite evenly. I know I have at least 3 and 1. I may have to rewire outlets to get the right legs in the right locations. The surge protector shows where the power is going on each leg, but I have been unsuccessful wiring it in with the Growatt installed. It, too, has decided to be finicky and is no longer showing up on my bluetooth. So I'm just going from memory. This has happened before when it was sitting outside, before I hardwired it in the place of the old transfer switch. I attributed it to the cold weather, as it came back on when I relocated it, but now it's again not reporting... Perhaps I will pull the shore power to reset it when I get home and see if that makes a difference.

Why does it not show the loads on the AC bypass discharge in the screenshot? Is that not what these loads are? Just seems like a pretty poor design unless I'm not understanding something correctly. Is there a "better" system for this sort of application? I'm considering just pulling the trigger on a Victron Quattro setup for about 5x the total cost of this one.

I don't know - mine shows the AC Bypass, correct as long as I'm not charging.
As soon as the battery charges - it only shows the charging current and not what the appliances are doing.

I don't know if it's an error of the Shine Data Logger, the Phone App or the Inverter itself.

Victron monitors it - but as far as I know has the same internal layout - it uses the same transformer for charging (converting) - as for inverting.
Saves expensive cooper.
I need full passthrough power when connected to the shore. I'm not sure this is negotiable.
You already got a Transfer Switch - just bypass the Growatt altogether for Grid mode.

In your drawing - where the Generator attaches to the Transfer switch - just put the grid input there.

That would leave you with being able to charge from grid but not use the appliances and charge

Last edited:
Well the fun never ends. I spent some time checking the loads today. I fired up all 3 space heaters (should be around 1500w each) as well as the electric fireplace (an additional 1500w). The surge protector has decided to work again and I saw the following:

Screenshot_20220108-174229_Power Watchdog EPO.jpg

So, it looks like all the loads were indeed pulling from one leg of the 50A service, as we had discussed... However, they all seem to come in under the 30A per leg maximum for the Growatt (which I still haven't hooked back up). This doesn't seem to make sense as the 4 heaters should be drawing significantly more than 3744 watts combined...

I decided to turn off the electric fireplace first and this is what I saw:

Screenshot_20220108-174613_Power Watchdog EPO.jpg

The wattage only dropped by 300, yet the legs seemed to equalize... Why would this be happening? Is my surge protector simply not displaying accurately? Never a dull moment! ?

Well the fun never ends. I spent some time checking the loads today. I fired up all 3 space heaters (should be around 1500w each) as well as the electric fireplace (an additional 1500w). The surge protector has decided to work again and I saw the following:

View attachment 78900

So, it looks like all the loads were indeed pulling from one leg of the 50A service, as we had discussed... However, they all seem to come in under the 30A per leg maximum for the Growatt (which I still haven't hooked back up). This doesn't seem to make sense as the 4 heaters should be drawing significantly more than 3744 watts combined...

I decided to turn off the electric fireplace first and this is what I saw:

View attachment 78901

The wattage only dropped by 300, yet the legs seemed to equalize... Why would this be happening? Is my surge protector simply not displaying accurately? Never a dull moment! ?
Why is the app called Autotransfomer? a transformer is special electrical component. If you got one of those - could explain some things.

I don't know the exact technical specs of your Growatt - but 28.8A cuts it very close.
You turn on the TV or any other random devices and you exceed the 30A it can handle.

Try to get a wiring diagram of your RV. Is the Fireplace 240V by chance?

Why is the app called Autotransfomer? a transformer is special electrical component. If you got one of those - could explain some things.

I don't know the exact technical specs of your Growatt - but 28.8A cuts it very close.
You turn on the TV or any other random devices and you exceed the 30A it can handle.

Try to get a wiring diagram of your RV. Is the Fireplace 240V by chance?
Hughes Autoformers makes several devices. I can assure you, this one is just a surge protector with Bluetooth and Auto shutoff (which is what's making it such a pain). Bluetooth decided to stop working again after I took the screenshots.

I recently put in the new fireplace. It's definitely 120v, standard household plug.

It seems strange that just turning off the fireplace would cause the legs to rebalance so significantly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220227-211041_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220227-211041_Drive.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 9
Back