diy solar

diy solar

50x 240w panels arrived today, inverter recommendations

AParsh

Hi forum,
Hope everyone is doing well.
I just received 50x 240w panels from Santan and am wanting to start setting up a solar system at my house.

I've seen on Will's videos he uses 2x LV6548 for his setup, which will run me about $3000.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something that is better bang for the buck?

Thanks,
Alex

What kind of system are you planning that you need 12Kw of power? The LV6048 or LVX6048 will give you 220v split phase if that's what you're trying to provide and do it for half the cost.

Inverter choice is very dependent on what you want. There are so many options out there.

2 - MPP-SOLAR LV6548 - 4 MPPTs, Post the specs of the panel and it'll be easier to offer a string configuration.

Hi guys, thanks so much for the quick replies.
Here are the stats on the panels:
  • 60 Cell Polycrystalline
  • Rated Power: 240W
  • Open circuit voltage (VOC): 37.2 V
  • Max power voltage (VMP): 30.4 V
  • Short circuit current (ISC): 8.37 A
  • Max power current: 7.89 A
  • Power Tolerance 0/+3%
  • Maximum system voltage: 600V (UL)
  • Fuse Rating: 15 A
  • IP65 Junction Box w/ standard solar connectors
  • Frame: Anodized aluminum alloy
  • Weight: 41 lbs.
  • Dimensions: 65 × 39 × 1.56 in

You guys might even have some ideas for me too because I'm definitely a rookie with this.

I want to install these panels at my house to cover our electric bill and hopefully more than cover it because we only have 1 electric car right now but will have 2 at some point in the next few years.

The panels are going to be on the hill in my backyard. I'm in San Diego so luckily pretty good sun exposure.

I'm thinking Grid Tie will be the cheapest and easiest solution for now since i can easily use everything I make (if i generate more than i use i can just add some mining stuff). Willl need to run wire from the top of my hill in the backyard to the panel and i assume i need inverters to do that? Maybe there is a cheaper grid tie option than inverters?

Thanks again for the advice

Assuming 4 MPPTS on two LV6548s;

8 strings of 6, 6s2p, using 4 of the MPPTs, with two panels left out, 48 panels used.
2021-09-29 (3).png
If you try two strings of 7 on one MPPT, it might(very likely when early and cold) over VOLT the MPPT. I did this several times with my strings of 6 on my LV6548s. 250V is a hard limit. The MPPT goes into safe mode and just turns off. 37.2 times 7 = 260.4V

Max power current: 7.89 times two = 15.78 is well under the 18 amp limit, and you will probably not get this high very often.

My 4S2P string usually goes to 11 amps. I probably could put it in 3P and have another MPPT available very easily, but I don't have any more room for panels! My 5S strings do 7.7 amps regularly. I could put them in 2P, but not 3P.

If shading is not an issue and you want to venture into higher Voltages, consider the LVX6048, 450V MPPT.

Very good post with solid advice by jasonhc above. The Mppsolar is a mainly offgrid inverter with battery capability I think. It has pull through grid backup I believe.
You mentioned wanting to go grid tie only. My biggest regret in installing my solar system on my house is going for a grid tie instead of a hybrid battery ready inverter.
You'll likely want to add batteries in the future as they get cheaper so I'd advise going hybrid.
Lookup your local solar disturbutor (the one that sells TO the solar installers) and they should have a large range of inverters on sale. Look through those until you find a model with specs you like within your budget.

Back