diy solar

diy solar

53k quote for a 14.4kw system, now looking at diy

It's not an easy thing to do. Most contractors don't want to install equipment that they don't provide.
Not saying that it's impossible to find an electrician willing to do it. But anyone willing is probably not experienced in the field of solar.

I know that. I just don't know how to refer to a hybrid approach of self contracting the install.
I found an electrician through facebook, friend of a friend kind of thing. He was a union electrician and did not want to advertise doing work on the side, so we kept it on the down low. I actually didn't need him for my solar setup, he pulled power 300' from our service to a subpanel in the barn, and did all the wiring for lights/outlets which was a lot of conduit bending. It was just too big of a job for me by myself even though I was technically able to do it. If your local jurisdiction will allow it, and you've got the time to watch a lot of youtube, I'd try to do the work yourself. I also belong to an electrical forum where I ask for help on things not specific to solar. I think you will always end up with a better job doing it yourself because you'll take the time to do it right.

Does the quote involve a panel upgrade or other major electrical work beyond connecting the inverter? Age of the roof?

Labor is always a fluff factor and with workers in high demand and applicants as yourself banging down the door, it’s gravy train time for installers.

Also you NGrid Or Eversource customer?

In the North East with current crazy high energy supply rates the states are facing 20 to 34cents for supply only, add in another 10 cents for delivery/regulated costs, these solar installers are using that high rate to show a positive ROI the same 10-15 years of 15-10 years ago due to their higher upfront high charges “due to demand and supply shortages”.

DIY is going to be your best bet.

@dalack Are you still on the forum? I'm curious how it's progressing or what direction you went with. It seems a lot of responses on this forum tend to be snarky and can be off putting. In any case, I'm in a similar boat with the quote and the KW rating your trying to hit.

Cheers!

Last edited:
It's not an easy thing to do. Most contractors don't want to install equipment that they don't provide.
Not saying that it's impossible to find an electrician willing to do it. But anyone willing is probably not experienced in the field of solar.
Might be true about no solar experience. Fortunately, I'm quite experienced from work and home plugging in a power tool to an extension cord which is what you do to connect one solar panel to the next. As far as connecting the inverter if you can read a wiring diagram you can wire it.

Don't make it sound like this is rocket science as i posted before a 1st year apprentice can handle the roof work. Without question toughest part of roof work is not falling off.

. Without question toughest part of roof work is not falling off.
For me it wasn't dropping the damn mounting feet and having them slide off the roof ?, next hardest was pulling the panels hand over hand up on to the roof.

It really isn't that hard at all, you just need to understand it and respect it (electricity).

This is coming from someone who has no electrical schooling. I research stuff until I understand it and am comfortable with it, I also hover over the electricians at work when I have the chance, to absorb what they say like a sponge.

If you aren't comfortable changing your own oil and rotating your tires, replacing a receptacle, working in a panel box, repairing a failed extension cord, etc. you shouldn't attempt a diy install.

Might be true about no solar experience. Fortunately, I'm quite experienced from work and home plugging in a power tool to an extension cord which is what you do to connect one solar panel to the next. As far as connecting the inverter if you can read a wiring diagram you can wire it.

Don't make it sound like this is rocket science as i posted before a 1st year apprentice can handle the roof work. Without question toughest part of roof work is not falling off.
All true.
But there's a difference between doing something for yourself. And doing it for a paying customer.

Back