diy solar

diy solar

560ah 12v Battery with Clean, Modern Case

I love this build. The BMS on the front is a great idea and it looks really clean!

I'm still waiting on my T Block fuse before posting the final setup, but it's great to see the design is working for you!

I'm glad you posted your build - all the plywood boxes just didn't thrill me. Some of the plate-aluminum ones look pretty good, but so much harder to fabricate, and so conductive. This starboard stuff cuts like butter.

All buttoned up it rings with you put a screw in it. The whole thing becomes a monolith. I have one more rod to install across the top to ensure the cells can't fall out in a roll-over. I don't know why I'm bothering - if that happens I'll have much bigger fish to fry. LOL

I ran out of stainless screws so there's quite a number of cad-plated ones, and I wished I would have used SS all-thread. Oh well, it's inside, warm and dry inside the RV.

Last edited:
I'm glad you posted your build - all the plywood boxes just didn't thrill me. Some of the plate-aluminum ones look pretty good, but so much harder to fabricate, and so conductive. This starboard stuff cuts like butter.

All buttoned up it rings with you put a screw in it. The whole thing becomes a monolith. I have one more rod to install across the top to ensure the cells can't fall out in a roll-over. I don't know why I'm bothering - if that happens I'll have much bigger fish to fry. LOL

I ran out of stainless screws so there's quite a number of cad-plated ones, and I wished I would have used SS all-thread. Oh well, it's inside, warm and dry inside the RV.

I would agree - the plywood boxes kind of threw me off too :)

Impressive.
What all runs off this system?

My neighbor's box-van conversion also utilized a multi-plus...can you describe its features and functions?

I got my pack installed and it's running nicely. I need to do some load testing and exercise it now. The overkill bms app is really helpful.

I have the following:
1. Inverter - 3000w Victron 12v multiplus
2. DC-DC - Renogy 60a
3. Blue Sea DC fuse block
4. Custom solar and AC circuit breakers
5. Victron Lynx Distributor
6. T Fuse/Block
7. Victron Cerbo GX
8. WeBoost for internet
9. 150/60 MPPT Victron
10. BMV 712 and smart shunt

@Carson - Vanlife Rentals your solution to the battery box and installation into the van is incredible! I'm building out a Transit right now and am planning on doing a similar construction as you.

What are you doing for temperature control for the batteries? Do you plan on adding a battery warmer for cold weather or fans to help circulate air in hot weather?

Thanks!

@Carson - Vanlife Rentals your solution to the battery box and installation into the van is incredible! I'm building out a Transit right now and am planning on doing a similar construction as you.

What are you doing for temperature control for the batteries? Do you plan on adding a battery warmer for cold weather or fans to help circulate air in hot weather?

Thanks!

I run a webasto (petrol) heater in all of my vans which keeps temps reasonable in the vans and system cabinets. For my next build I'll be installing the heater more towards the middle of my van and have small vent lines running to my electrical and plumbing cabinets for cold weather.

We also insulate our vans with thinsulate which does a pretty good job.

I've done heating pads in the past, but haven't found any to be efficient enough or durable.

In one of my next builds I'm going to build custom heated floors which should keep everything nice and toasty!

Our build sounds pretty similar! I have an Espar which I'm planning on splitting the duct to go to both the cabin and garage/electrical area, but have been debating the heating pad as well. +1 for the Thinsulate too!

Thanks for being super quick in your response, always appreciate the input of someone who does this for a career. Looking forward to what you do next!

Our build sounds pretty similar! I have an Espar which I'm planning on splitting the duct to go to both the cabin and garage/electrical area, but have been debating the heating pad as well. +1 for the Thinsulate too!

Thanks for being super quick in your response, always appreciate the input of someone who does this for a career. Looking forward to what you do next!

The heater to the cab and garage is the way to go since it also helps stem moisture problems which is a consistent problem in these large, metal boxes that trap in moisture.

Updating with the final build. Was able to better secure the battery bank and finished up the system. Overall it's performing well and we are really happy with how it turned out.

We are looking into fabricating a metal frame for our next build that will require a dense system as well.

Attachments

• 20220325_161407.jpg
    20220325_161407.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 20220325_161351.jpg
    20220325_161351.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220313_105544.jpg
    20220313_105544.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 85
Very nice work gentlemen, planning to do the same in my camper (actually a bus). Wasn't crazy about the wood or aluminum cases but the starboard very nice. Thank you.

Back