diy solar

diy solar

563kwh BYD = 52.75kw www.batteryclearinghouse.com/

563kwh BYD = $52.75 kw www.batteryclearinghouse.com/ 297 per battery

SHIPPING ANYWHERE IN THE US is a flat rate $397 for anything between 1-50 ... There does not seem to be mych info available on the batteries themselves .. some are saying they are true BYD's - some are saying they are knock offs ... regardless - beyond excellent price for LiFePO4 batteries

Sweet deal, what's a knock off in these, my concern low grade byd only good at 50%
Life sucked out of them

are you in china? These are not knockoffs, how could they be, I disabled one and let me tell you they are not cheaply made if there are knockoffs the chinese would flood the market from there . not used battery resellers here. so stop that

WOW - U might want to back off on that much caffeine first thing in the morning - first of all - what I am CLEARLY saying is that I agree with you that these batteries are probably NOT knockoffs especially being in such an expensive piece of equipment. BUT we have all seen stranger things happen coming out of China.

WHAT several ppl are talking about is that NO WHERE on these batteries is it marked BYD or the battery specifics posted on the label. Since YOU said you took one apart then PLEASE post pictures of the batteries that clearly show that these ARE truly BYD batteries and not a second rate battery. The only try way of knowing if the batteries are good is either it coming from a reputable battery manufacturer OR someone actually putting it under a load test to see the true aH of the batteries. YOU simply saying that they are good simply because you want them to be is not really what most of us are looking for...

SO - please post pictures that clearly show that this is a BYD battery and not a Chinese knockoff that the UPS manufacturer in China used in order to save a few bucks.

PS - NO I am not from China but I am Korean American ... Thx for asking ...

Too bad there aren't more of us in the market, that's just N.C., I could crank up the big truck and be there in 8 hours...
For the guys wanting a roll around rack mount/back up instead of a generator, this would be ideal.

It doesn't say if they have been tested or not, but I'm sure if you bought a few they would work something out with you...

--------------

If you all could leave the hissy-fits out of this,
Ghost Writer is correct, anything is possible out of China, they counterfeit toothpaste & dog food for crying out loud!

I'm also going with the cases/support gear doesn't look cheap,
And these have been showing up all over for months, no one can quite nail down where they are coming from, but more than a couple people have taken the packs apart on BoobTube and done load testing, the batteries *Seem* to be in excellent shape.

From WHERE they are showing up (PA down to NC) I would guess government server farms rotating back up power storage cells...

What I haven't seen, anyone complaining because they got duds with dead/damaged batteries...

Last edited:
they are all coming from an single solar farm decommissioning. this is from a major buyer and seller of these batteries

I appreciate the video - what would be great is if someone could test the batteries for aH LEFT (life left) ... I know the batteries are rated at 200aH (NEW) but what are folks getting out of them now... That's really all I am waiting for at this point ... Basically how much life is left in them ... THX

I appreciate the video - what would be great is if someone could test the batteries for aH LEFT (life left) ... I know the batteries are rated at 200aH (NEW) but what are folks getting out of them now... That's really all I am waiting for at this point ... Basically how much life is left in them ... THX
I am assembling a testing station able to handle the meat of these cells. Slow going, as I run a full time HVAC/Electrical contracting company, and cold snaps keep sending me running with heat out calls.

I am planning a 1500watt load but my only high voltage inverter is 48v, so I have to series 2 batteries to test them...

should be able to draw 30amps for 7 hours to give 10ish KWh... see how close I come.

I have a 2500 watt 24v inverter on the way... but it might not be here before Christmas...

From my understanding 3.6v = 5630w or 352w per cell at 100%: 3.3v = 2815w or 176 w at 50% byd rated:
I curious what everyone battery volts are.?
Mine are 3.2v so 45% or less kind of late to do the math. So the 4300w being sold as:
it could reach that or higher.

I understand a lot of people might expect to see a 3.6 to 3.7 charge on a Lifepo4 battery, but that's not the ideal range for storage.

You want to be seeing 3.2 volt on a lifepo4 the first time you get one..The general rule for commercial Lifepo4 batteries is to have them drained to 50% of SOC ( State of Charge ) for long term storage. It is the healthiest setting for the battery.

3.65volt would be a common top end..technically they should be able to support up to like 4.2 volt, but the benefits of going that high do not really get you much more than sticking to 3.65 volt.

As your batteries drain and you hit 3.2 to 3.3v, you should be around 50% of your capacity.

2.5v is the standard bottom end.. 2.3 volt if you want to push it.
2.Ov is the hard bottom you do not want to go near because you start risking real damage to the battery cell. ( Dan and me discussed this topic when he swung by on Friday)

Now.... a lifepo4 can have a very long life span.. like 10+ years, but it is very dependent on the depth of your discharge cycles.

Let's say every day you charged your 5kw battery up 3.65 volts and then drained it 100% to 2.5 volts. Then did that again. The battery life might end up being 1,000 cycles by the time it gets to 80% capacity.

Now.... take that same 5kw cycle and spread it across 10 batteries so that it's just a 10% depth of discharge... each of those batteries might last 15,000 to 30,000 cycles before they 80% capacity. In fact you might even extend their life even more by cycling that 10% discharge between the 75% and 65% SOC range ( state of charge)

I have been pondering why these BYD solar bank cells do not have an onboard BMS. ( I think the built in circuit board is just a sensor board.) If a large solar battery bank's standard voltage ranges where a 75% charge on the top end and then a 10-15% discharge cycle.. Bouncing between say 3.5 volt and 3.3 volt, it might not require a BMS. The indvidual batteries cells would not be at risk of going high enough to damage them and none would be going low enough on the discharge to risk damaging them, even if they where way out of balance. The monitoring would pick up that there was balancing drama way before it became an issue.

I have become a huge fan of these types of decomssioned solar farm batteries. They have so much life in them when compared to something like E-Bike batteries that go through a ton of full dischage cycles.

Back