diy solar

diy solar

595W mono perc Canadian Solar panel for Sprinter roof?

downhiller

I understand the pros and cons of one panel vs multiple smaller ones.

It so happens that in this case I can fit more watts from this one panel than from multiple smaller panels. The fit is just right...

...but is it suitable? I worry about the strength of such a large panel. I'd plan to mount it with vhb-taped and rivnutted unistrut down either side, and then a dozen or so strong mounts down either side.

The size is 2172mm x 1303mm (85.6” x 51.3”)

I don't fear the panel coming off the roof, but I do fear the panel itself falling apart, the PV coming unbonded from the aluminium frame etc.

What do you think, is such a large panel going to be ok with sustained 80mph travel?

Last edited:
What do you think, is such a large panel going to be ok with sustained 80mph travel?
Bolted with rivnuts it’s probably safe
At 21” it’s probably strong

If this is going offroad you may still crack it
I’d try it on road no prob

Always wondered about mounting with an open spring mount like this. Would allow the body of the van to twist without directly twisting the panel frame, at least within a reasonable distance.

Mounting with simple rubber isolators I don't see where they would allow enough flex to make a huge difference. A spring, depending on tension, seems like it may offer some protection. Just a thought.

Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 2.14.03 PM.png

A spring, depending on tension, seems like it may offer some protection.
Movement creates failure. Cyclic vibration creates failure. Rhythmic oscillation creates failures.
Bending occasionally may not.
actually it's a bit over 51" (1303 mm = 51.29921 inch)
I read the 21, sorry. It did sound small lol
Mounting with simple rubber isolators I don't see where they would allow enough flex to make a huge difference.
well movement creates failure
That’s why wires get clamped down: to stop cyclic oscillation from breaking the wires.

Mount them well, don’t let their own mass break them.

I just have no idea how robust solar panels are. Is this going up crack in half the first time my van twists over a camber change?

I just have no idea how robust solar panels are. Is this going up crack in half the first time my van twists over a camber change
I have 195w panels - approximately 5 x 2 feet, they're rock solid.
During delivery 2 were dropped on a corner, I'd say it was a hard drop considering each was individually boxed (cardboard, with foam on each side but no corner protection) but they survived with only a slight dent on a corner.

7 x 4 feet makes me wonder. Just how rigid the frames are, how flexible your roof is and how rough the road you travel?
If it was me, I'd do it. The price for such a nice panel is low enough I'd take the gamble.
I'd definitely use a heavy rail to mount them on.

On the safe side, (3) 200w panels would probably cost twice as much.

3 200w panels wouldn't quite fit in the space I have either - 3 175w ones is my backup option. And they'd "just" be monocrystalline, whereas this 595w one is a mono perc, which I believe is supposed to perform better in low-light conditions.

I don't have concerns about mounting it to the van, I think that shouldn't be any harder than any other panel - I just don't know what effect it twisting as the van body twists would be, or how well it would cope with vibrations of poor road surfaces.

Back