diy solar

diy solar

5k growatt question

• Thread starter Deleted member 1888
  • Start date
No, the plan is to leave it in, as It will be on the input side of the inverter ( output side of gen-set ) and only be an issue when running the generator. which is only if I need to charge the battery beyond what the solar is . And even when I do the well is not hooked up , it will pass through the 2 legs of 120 to the RV . This is the main purpose, AS for 48 volt chargers ( which would be fine too ) that can charge at the same rate the inverter/ charger can.... 100 AMPs that's hard to find and price is pretty high. once again this is only so I have pass through 220 to RV , when charging batterys and not have just single phase 120 on 1 leg of the RV. The well will be solely powered by either the inverter off batterys or 220 volt larger generator that will not be hooked up to this system for power ( its loud and only used for well pump )

I guess that I am confused. Do you have 2 Auto transformers? Or are you not needing split-phase output from the inverter?
Which inverter do you have?

The title says 5k
So I assumed it was the SPF-5000-ES
Same as the OP.

NO the 5k was about the growatt transformer .. I have a growatt 8kw split phase 220 inverter
I was looking at adding a auto transformer to the output of my 4kw generator , as a passthrough on the inverter so when I am charging the battery off the generator I keep both legs hot inside my RV.

So while looking at the growatt 5 kw transformer I had been asking questions on that too because my only experience has been with an outback auto transformer years ago, that would step up or down as needed ( and wired ) Im having a hard time finding info on the growatt auto transformer because all the videos and docs refer to using it to split 240 single phase from the growatt 5kw inverter.

So I can see why you mixed them up . most people it seems with this transformer are using it differently than I want too , but it may be easier to get the victron transformer as their wiring diagrams are easy to find and under stand
The victron has a higher capacity, too.
At least, the one that I have heard of.
100a , if I remember correctly.

well, I wish the maker of this transformer had more documentation available. Just found this video.. even tech support at signature solar had it wrong. I ask them could I not supply power N & L1 to get 240 output and they said no.. watch this video I found: "
" ( copy paste the link did not work )
I had already canceled my order with signature solar because of the wrong data they gave me. I thought I was right but hey I'm, not the expert ... anyway I order a Victron through Amazon ( which cost me about 200$ more ) but Im probably going to keep my order on the Victron cause 1 ) Amazon has it now and the other transformer from signature is on backorder 2) Victron did a GOOD job making wiring diagrams available online.
Now the Victron says its rated 100 amps, not sure where that's coming from . cause the manual says 32 Amp or 7.2 KVA , or an unbalanced load of 4.8 kva
spending more money but kinda prefer a company that can produce documentation
If I had seen this video yesterday I would have kept more order with signature solar on the 5 kw transformer
not to beat up on signature solar, I have had good luck with the tech support on the inverter I bought .. just they probably need to get more data on the transfer for their techs

Last edited:
I am currently using that Solar Edge auto transformer.
I like the compact design. And, it just works.

I am currently using that Solar Edge auto transformer.
I like the compact design. And, it just works.
I hear ya , I was looking for someone that could verify it would work in the setup I need but could don't find anyone to concur ( until I found that video , which by then was to late ) . Also when tech support said it could not be used like that... kinda did not want to risk the $$ to get something and not have it work for me, so I ended up paying more $ for the info that the Victron would ..

Well, I said that it would.
But, I understand that you don't know me.
And, it's always good if you can get more people to confirm something. Before you take the chance of wasting money.

Well, I said that it would.
But, I understand that you don't know me.
And, it's always good if you can get more people to confirm something. Before you take the chance of wasting money.
It's not that I didn't trust you. I was looking for someone to explain it I.E. = L1 is input 120 volt to transformer and N in N input to Neutral spot , then connect L2 from the transformer as one leg ( L2 ) and the L1 line as the other leg = 240
Then when I got tech support online and they said NO, kinda thought they were wrong,really made me doubt myself

PS I sent the video link to the tech support person I talked with , not as a I told you so, but more of hey maybe something you should know ( to help others )

BY the time I paid Amazon, with free shipping... it only ended up being about 150$ more for the Victron
I am kind of partial to the Solar Edge, I like that it has a temperature sensor.

The victron is a good unit. It will easily do the job for many years.

you know I could be wrong I was also mixing up the solar edge transformer & the Growatt transformer, verify similar ..
So maybe the growatt wont do it but the solar edge will ???

The configuration I am working on has (3) SPF-5000-ES for 15K with 40kW of batteries.

I am planning to install a 3000kw Growatt inverter with about 3K of solar. This inverter will only power the lights and AC in the power shed. I will use this with a Generac 7.5k PowerPac as a genset. It will only run 120V from this config so no transformer issues. So I can program the inverter to start and charge the batteries when SOC drops below a specified percent.

Basically I'm using the inverter as a High Current charger.

Any thoughts or suggestion. I welcome your critique.

Back