diy solar

diy solar

6 hours to get 2 x EG4-LifePower4 to talk to Solar-Assistant via RS485 to USB.

Just making sure you used the dedicated link for the Orange PI 3 LTS here:
Yes. I got it working yesterday evening. I've never used a PI before; the issue was a newb problem. I kept the SD card in the USB thumb and inserted that into one of the USB ports rather than inserting just the card into the PI’s TF slot (didn’t realize it had a TF slot). It would be helpful if the guide said:

"Insert just the SD card into the Raspberry Pi’s TF slot" rather than "Insert the SD card in the Raspberry Pi"... says the newb.

Problem now is MPPT2 on Inverter 2P2 doesn't show on reports. I am told I need to have another cable from PI to that inverter, then select disconnect, select both cables and then reconnect. Waiting on second cable to arrive.

Yes. I got it working yesterday evening. I've never used a PI before; the issue was a newb problem. I kept the SD card in the USB thumb and inserted that into one of the USB ports rather than inserting just the card into the PI’s TF slot (didn’t realize it had a TF slot). It would be helpful if the guide said:

"Insert just the SD card into the Raspberry Pi’s TF slot" rather than "Insert the SD card in the Raspberry Pi"... says the newb.

Problem now is MPPT2 on Inverter 2P2 doesn't show on reports. I am told I need to have another cable from PI to that inverter, then select disconnect, select both cables and then reconnect. Waiting on second cable to arrive.
correct, there's definitely some data that does not populate unless there's a cable directly to slave inverters.
but any MicroUSB to USB A cable will work. there's nothing special about it. but new cables never hurt!

correct, there's definitely some data that does not populate unless there's a cable directly to slave inverters.
but any MicroUSB to USB A cable will work. there's nothing special about it. but new cables never hurt!
I did try a microUSB to USB but it didn't work. Do I have to turn off and on inverters before selecting and reconnecting?

I did try a microUSB to USB but it didn't work. Do I have to turn off and on inverters before selecting and reconnecting?
install the cable in the second inverter, then go into SA on the configuration tab (last tab), then click disconnect. in the USB ports selection in the inverter section, be sure to select both "Direct-USB# Voltronic" options by holding control button down and selecting clicking each with the mouse, then click Save, and then Connect. This will tell SA to use both connections.

Last edited:
install the cable in the second inverter, then go into SA on the configuration tab (last tab), then click disconnect. in the USB ports selection in the inverter section, be sure to select both "Direct-USB# Voltronic" options by holding control button down and selecting clicking each with the mouse, then click Save, and then Connect. This will tell SA to use both connections.
The first cable must have something wrong with it. Took out another microUSB and it works now.

Thanks for the help!

Is there a wiki on how to do this?
Ive got one without the LCD screen all dip switches down, talks to my inverter but not to my raspberry pi with solar assistant.

Back