diy solar

diy solar

6 panels 330 watts max why only 300 watts?

theJ

I have 6 panels tested each panel 18.9 volts

at the inverter 26.6 with 289 watts right now with the full sun, I have no seenn it go higher than 340 watts it was 100 degrees max sunshine

2 set (3) in series then - parrel connected at 56.9 volts at the meter

RICH SOLAR 6 Pieces 100 Watt 12 Volt Polycrystalline Solar Panel Black Frame​

24V HAWK

LiFePO4 - 170Ah - 4.3kWh

MPP SOLAR 2400w Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter with 50A PWM Solar Charger DC 24V AC Output 110V 120V with 60A Utility Charger 50HZ or 60HZ

Thanks in advance

So why am I only getting 300 watts from 6 panels on a sunny day with no clouds - the sun is directly over the panels the pannels are mounted on the roof and 35% angle roughly

Jerry

1628024804561.png

Last edited:
6 panels tested each panel 18.9 volts
If you're looking for doing math on your panel specs, its best to use the ones listed on the panel. The Voc is the most important for what it appears you are trying to figure out.

So what is your question anyway?

Welcome to the forum?

If you're looking for doing math on your panel specs, its best to use the ones listed on the panel. The Voc is the most important for what it appears you are trying to figure out.

So what is your question anyway?

Welcome to the forum? why only 300 watts?

Sure, why am I only getting 300 watts from 6 panels on a sunny day with no clouds - the sun is directly over the panels the pannels are mounted on the roof and 35% angle roughly facing south

Show us all your settings?
Do you see the power go up if you add heavy loads?

1628044914076.png

this is from 8:42 pm

1628044962961.png
Show us all your settings?
Do you see the power go up if you add heavy loads?
see below
No I don't the power go up when there is heavy loads - I can run my air fryer off this system

Perhaps your batteries are (nearly) charged and your SCC is only using that much on the finishing charge?

Does your MPP show amps coming in? Charging amps? Battery voltage? see capture
1628045154425.png
another one 29.2 is battery full

1628045215342.png

Post #1:
"I have 6 panels tested each panel 18.9 volts

at the inverter 26.6 with 289 watts right now with the full sun, I have no seenn it go higher than 340 watts it was 100 degrees max sunshine

2 set (3) in series then - parrel connected at 56.9 volts at the meter"

The SCC only shows 26.8V!
What does the Volt meter show when you measure at the PV input terminal of the SCC?
No shading on the panels, correct?
BTW, my is PIP-1012, the 12V version.

at the inverter 26.6 with 289 watts right now with the full sun
1628045215342.png

If you have 3 x 18V panels in series that's ~56V.

You are only seeing 27V at the inverter. Something's wrong with the connection or set up of your panels. Check all your solar PV leads and how they have been connected/wired together and connection to the inverter.

Bud and wattmatters have narrowed down your problem to your array. Your array voltage is really suspect and its actually lower than your battery voltage and SCC's are mostly designed to charge with battery voltage + some headroom (at least 5 volts is the usual number).

When you get that worked out, (and mostly before i forget), i noticed your charge settings are 29.2V bulk charging (that is very aggressive, too aggressive i think). Its very likely your BMS will cut off with a cell out of bounds before all cells reach 3.65V together.
Additionally, floating at 29.2V sets off alarm bells in my head. I do not think you should hold batteries at their max value indefinitely without damaging them. What does your battery maker recommend?

Bud and wattmatters have narrowed down your problem to your array. Your array voltage is really suspect and its actually lower than your battery voltage and SCC's are mostly designed to charge with battery voltage + some headroom (at least 5 volts is the usual number).

When you get that worked out, (and mostly before i forget), i noticed your charge settings are 29.2V bulk charging (that is very aggressive, too aggressive i think). Its very likely your BMS will cut off with a cell out of bounds before all cells reach 3.65V together.
Additionally, floating at 29.2V sets off alarm bells in my head. I do not think you should hold batteries at their max value indefinitely without damaging them. What does your battery maker recommend?
Great info guys thanks, honestly those setting are unclear to me, I follow the specs from big battery
What should it be and why? so I understand more :)

If you have 3 x 18V panels in series that's ~56V.

You are only seeing 27V at the inverter. Something's wrong with the connection or set up of your panels. Check all your solar PV leads and how they have been connected/wired together and connection to the inverter.
this is my setup 18.9 in stead of 20v
1628082349464.png

this is my setup 18.9 in stead of 20v
That shows what they should be but have you actually physically checked all your cables and connections? Use a multimeter to check the voltages.

Another thing to try is to disconnect one of the two paralleled strings to see if it has any impact. Then reconnect that one and disconnect the other string.

Do all panels end up in the sun at the same time? Any shading?

That shows what they should be but have you actually physically checked all your cables and connections? Use a multimeter to check the voltages.

Another thing to try is to disconnect one of the two paralleled strings to see if it has any impact. Then reconnect that one and disconnect the other string.
Did that get 133 watts for 3 pannels?

also got 113 watts for 2 panels 18.9 v each with a multimeter

disconnect 1 set hook to invertor 133 watts at invertor
disconnect 2 set hook to invertor 125 watts at invertor

6 panels at invertor 245 watts at invertor during the same test and the same time frame noontime

right now 255 watts 26.2 volts
1628095702650.png

This morning it is 26.2 at the invertor however at the pannels it's 58.1 at the m4 connector.

It does appear the invertor is limiting the voltage

1628095627603.png

1628095644683.png

from support
The PV operation voltage of the 2424LV-HS inverter is between 30v and 40v.

1628097557832.png

Last edited:
When testing the PV panel without load, in this case the SCC is the load, the Voltage may show correctly, but if the wiring or the connection has high resistance then when the load is connected the Voltage will drop down.
When you try one string at a time, did you go from the string directly to the SCC without the Y combiner?

Back