diy solar

diy solar

6 used 260 Watt 30.6v 8.5A panels and a large imagination beginning to get me in trouble

My 24 volt to 6000 watt/ 220 volt inverter cost me $1300.
$341 would be a steal if it worked but I am pretty well guessing that it is a pipe dream.

Looking at the back side photo of that unit, it appears to be already damaged? You think they would have picked a better looking unit.

According to the spec:
1) It is PWM not MPPT.
2) It does not show that it has Anti-Island function which is must so it will not inject power back to the utility when unity is down. I do not think it has function to feed the power back to the utility for you to save money.
Copy from website.
Featurs:

1.Pure sine wave inverter

2.Built-in PWM solar charge controller

3.Configurable input voltage range for home applicances and personal computers via LCD setting

4.Configurable AC/Solar Charger priority via LCD setting

5.Configurable AC/Solar input priority via LCD setting

6.Compatible to mains voltage or generator power

7.Auto restart while AC is recovering

8.Overload/over temperature/ short circuit protection

9.Smart charging system optimizes battery performance

10.Cold start function

Its so hard to read the Chinglish and decipher all the features on these ads. I'm going to take another look and see if one of the other units might be more obviously usable for my needs.

I keep coming back to this POWMR inverter:

PowMr 3000W All-In-One Hybrid Solar Inverter DC 24V AC 110V Pure Sine Wave Solar Inversor Max 100A MPPT Charge Controller​

It seems like this will handle my 6 panels, connects via 24V, and outputs 110V, rather than 220 or 230V. My original thought was to connect to my main panel at 220V, but many of these Chinese inverters appear to output 220-240V which I fear will create an additional issue if I want to tie it into my breaker box in the US.

PowMr 3000W All-In-One Hybrid Solar Inverter DC 24V AC 110V Pure Sine Wave Solar Inversor Max 100A MPPT Charge Controller​

It seems like this will handle my 6 panels, connects via 24V, and outputs 110V, rather than 220 or 230V. My original thought was to connect to my main panel at 220V, but many of these Chinese inverters appear to output 220-240V which I fear will create an additional issue if I want to tie it into my breaker box in the US.
Don't do it, Jeff. Just don't. I've got one. If you're wanting to see what solar will do, this jet engine sitting in your closet isn't the way to do it.

If your budget is that low, consider wiring the panels directly to the secondary on your water heater, turn the temp on it way down and switch to taking showers in the morning.

I think you’re at a point to evaluate your immediate goals and decide your “all-in” route. An AIO needs a UL grid-down disconnect or separate transfer switch in NJ I’m sure. Separate components (epever, psw inverter, etc) is the other route.

The immediate issue I see is battery bank: 200Ah only goes so far for grid-down backup. And how many watts do you actually need?

If you decide you truly want diy gridtie the AIO box is just one part; a critical loads panel, safe transfer switching for anti-islanding, and adequate length of power supply time from the batteries are other factors.

FWIW the multidirectional panel arrangement (that you don’t want for esthetic reasons) made a big performance difference for my system. Half of a hexagonal may compensate for your shading depending on those trees of course.

It seems like this will handle my 6 panels, connects via 24V, and outputs 110V
Don't do it, Jeff. Just don't. I've got one
An alternative with some US support is available for not much more money and there’s a 24V option if you are committed to 24V.

I think you’re at a point to evaluate your immediate goals and decide your “all-in” route. An AIO needs a UL grid-down disconnect or separate transfer switch in NJ I’m sure. Separate components (epever, psw inverter, etc) is the other route.

The immediate issue I see is battery bank: 200Ah only goes so far for grid-down backup. And how many watts do you actually need?

If you decide you truly want diy gridtie the AIO box is just one part; a critical loads panel, safe transfer switching for anti-islanding, and adequate length of power supply time from the batteries are other factors.

FWIW the multidirectional panel arrangement (that you don’t want for esthetic reasons) made a big performance difference for my system. Half of a hexagonal may compensate for your shading depending on those trees of course.

An alternative with some US support is available for not much more money and there’s a 24V option if you are committed to 24V.
Thanks for the info on Usaampsolar, the box looks like any other chinese knock off, but I guess you are suggesting for the additional $100 or so, I get US shipment and a US point of contact to deal with any problems.

My short term plan was not to gridtie at the moment, I didn't want to go through the bs with the power company. However, once my system was in place and I saw what truly was being generated, I plan on reevaluating the grid tie and maybe moving forward selling the power back to the grid. I currently own 2 Renology 40Amp controlers and was thinking of returning them and moving the money towards the AIO. However, it seems all the people are saying the same thing about the AIO's (at the $600 price point), stay away.

In the summer, I was using 1800 KWH/month at the peek (A/C), so it appears my little 6 panel setup won't really make much of a dent in that useage. However, in April, I only used 756KWH, so the system could add value then. In the end, I am trying to make a little system that could allow me to power my lights, keep a few tv's running, and allow the refrigerator/freezer to run enough to not spoil food. There's no way I'll be able to run my A/C system during the summer, but I could run a bunch of fans.

Don't do it, Jeff. Just don't. I've got one. If you're wanting to see what solar will do, this jet engine sitting in your closet isn't the way to do it.

If your budget is that low, consider wiring the panels directly to the secondary on your water heater, turn the temp on it way down and switch to taking showers in the morning.
I get that you own an AIO dog, but is it possible your unit just is not well built, and quite noisy? I've read that these Chinese boxes are hit or miss.

t seems all the people are saying the same thing about the AIO's (at the $600 price point), stay away.
“All” who’ve participated here.
Many install and use these successfully. Everybody should drive new BMWs and Cadillacs, too…

MPP Solar are embedded with their business. It’s not a blank wall purchase or from the back of a Ali. (see what I did there?) And there’s a level of support for tech and warranty.

I’m not a MPP Solar evangelist- but people use those and they work.

“All” who’ve participated here.
Many install and use these successfully. Everybody should drive new BMWs and Cadillacs, too…

MPP Solar are embedded with their business. It’s not a blank wall purchase or from the back of a Ali. (see what I did there?) And there’s a level of support for tech and warranty.

I’m not a MPP Solar evangelist- but people use those and they work.
I'm glad you mentioned that. This forum is much like any other, a group of people offering assistance from different levels of knowledge with different opinions. I appreciate all those that have tried to direct me, have certainly educated myself from all this knowledge, and need to take the leep and learn first hand.

My prefered device would be one of the hybrid controllers from China as it would give me everything I desire at a small price point. However, that said, buying Chinese boxes has the obvious issues if everything does not go 100% perfect and maybe that's where a company like MPP Solar comes in. PAying a bit more for some "insurance".

Exactly. That $100 has a value.
I called MPPUSAsolar and spoke to a salesman, guy with a British accent. He was less than helpful, although nice enough, and was not interested in my needs or which of his systems would be best to meet my requirements. I did not get a warm fuzzy feeling buying from them and when I asked about the warrenty, I was told the Chinese manufacturer gives a one year, but they, as US distributers, were able to add an additional year to the product. Unfortunately, their website stated the device came with a one year warrenty and there was no mention of any additional year.

I will put together a sketch of my proposed system and send it to them in an effort to begin a real conversation. Hopefully, they will take a few seconds to review my thinking and comment. Assuming they offer value added service, I'll buy my controller from them.

Maybe then a different person will help.
Your report is disappointing to me.
The next step for me, as mentioned, is to draw out my current equipment and ask for confimration that my plans will work in RL. Then, confirm that my choice of their controller is correct and will work. Not really looking for deep discussions, just more than if I bought the box off Ali.

draw out my current equipment and ask for confimration that my plans will work in RL. Then, confirm that my choice of their controller is correct and will work
You can ask that information here…

There’s lots of folks with lots more knowledge than I here, and some use these devices. I’d be uncomfortable to order from Mohamed Ali-Fast or Ali Babel myself if I wanted to be secure and confident. Ymmv

Back